Alexis Lalas And Brad Friedel Close To Joining Fox

I'm a Villanova graduate and a huge supporter of their basketball program. Fox Sports has the broadcast rights to Big East basketball. They have invested a ton of money in the product. I'm very happy.

I hope Martino and Twellman follow.

I'm a Villanova graduate and a huge supporter of their basketball program. Fox Sports has the broadcast rights to Big East basketball. They have invested a ton of money in the product. I'm very happy.

I hope Martino and Twellman follow.

I'm not a huge Twellman fan but he's not the worst. I would much rather him then the awkward Landon Donavan... great USMNT player but he's going to be awful in the booth.

That being said I wonder what ESPN is going to do to replace Lalas.

Reactions: Kjbert
Speaking of awkward Landon Donovan, have you noticed that all American soccer players, more or less, speak exactly the same? I was watching the post-match interview with Lee Nguyen last night and if I closed my eyes, he would have sounded like 100 other MLS players. Before the game, they had Michael Parkhurst on. Sounded exactly the same as well.

I hope none of them ever do TV work.

Yeah, Landon is everything BUT telegenic, like a deer in headlights.

Yup he's awful but he's going to be with ESPN or Fox come January. He has a name and that means something. He'll be the male version of Erin Andrews minus the huge rack... Awful just a recognizable name.

I hope none of them ever do TV work.

MLS should hire speech / body language coaches for the players so they can market them (and the league and the sport) better.

Who's going to be the face of MLS after this year? Dempsey? The guy has to get rid of his constant sour-face, smile just a little more and make himself a little more Madison Ave-friendly. And his performance on those Oberto beef jerkey commericials? Pretty dry.

MLS should hire speech / body language coaches for the players so they can market them (and the league and the sport) better.

Who's going to be the face of MLS after this year? Dempsey? The guy has to get rid of his constant sour-face, smile just a little more and make himself a little more Madison Ave-friendly. And his performance on those Oberto beef jerkey commericials? Pretty dry.

Dude this is a great post. Never thought of that. Henry and Donovan gone. Reboot to MLS 2.0.

Lampard will be too "new" I assume. Dempsey and Bradley both wear scowls.

Haha yeah Dempsey makes himself look like such a dick.

Friedel's going to have to be conscious about his "Brad Friedel" accent when he's at Fox. Sometimes I think Brad has gone all Madonna on us. :p

He mentions his "accent" is "messed up" at the 44 second mark.

I wouldn't give up on Landon. He's pretty insightful with his interviews, so one bad World Cup shouldn't define his TV career anymore than a bad world cup would define his soccer career. Like most former athletes, I think Landon will get stronger as he gains more distance (and isn't a former teammate of the players he's critiquing) and he feels more confident being able to say what he thinks.

This news about Lalas makes me a little sad though, as I think it would make the "Big Head, red Head" podcasts less likely. Those can be fun to listen to as TT just rips into whatever team they're discussing.

I think he's a smart guy - I just think he has a bad voice for sports.

Lalas and Twellman are very booming in how they present - for better or worse.

Twellman is awesome on twitter and in podcasts, but he sucks, along with Lalas as a color guy. He gets hung up on mistakes players make and bad referee calls, and whines about it more than he provides insight into the game. Love TT just not during games. Lalas is just a douche

Reactions: 413Blue