Aron Johannsson Wants To Play In Mls 'at The Peak Of My Career'

NYCFCFan10

Registered
Mar 23, 2014
Where do you seem him going?

League Soccer "at the peak of my career."

The 24-year-old AZ Alkmaar forward, who has three goals in 10 national team appearances heading into July's Gold Cup, expounded on his long-range plans in an interview Sunday with radio program "ESPN Soccer Today."

"Most definitely," Johannsson, who has spent his career in Europe, said when asked if he sees himself making an eventual move to Major League Soccer. "I've said it a lot of times. I hope just the opportunity comes.

"I want to, when I'm at the peak of my career, then I want to be playing in the MLS, because I don't want to go there when I'm getting too old and the expectations are too much and I can't handle it.

"So when I'm playing at my best level, I want to be able to play in the U.S. and show people how good I am over there."

Not sure he'd command that much, AZ aren't a wealthy team. I doubt we'd have the cap room for him but in theory, I think he would only get Mix-type money.

Reactions: Kjbert
Yeah, I'd be alittle surprised to see him here.

I could see him pretty much anywhere else though.

He doesn't seem like the type that will only come to play in NY or LA or Miami or whatever.

Where he goes would be based on the allocation order. Minnesota and Atlanta would have the top spots in 2017. LAFC and whoever else would have the top spots in 2018.

No way in hell, Johannsson is coming from a much better league and had much better numbers than Mix. He'll get at least a million probably more.

Rosenborg are a far bigger club than AZ.

What does 'better numbers' mean? They play completely different positions. Eredivisie numbers are a joke anyway.

What does 'better numbers' mean? They play completely different positions. Eredivisie numbers are a joke anyway.
Will be be able to translate his talent from the Eredivise to the MLS? MLS seems like it's a more physical league. Would he have a hard time adjusting?

The last guy who did as well as a striker at Johannsson's club went to England, couldn't get anything going for two years and was promptly given a $30 million contract in Toronto.

I am not saying Johannsson deserves that much, but he will be a DP if he comes.

Maybe he is someone who could be a 4th DP for us. That would be great. I love his game.

Jozy Altidore got massive numbers mostly based off his numbers at AZ, not a chance in hell Johannsson makes below a million

Will be be able to translate his talent from the Eredivise to the MLS? MLS seems like it's a more physical league. Would he have a hard time adjusting?

I like Johansson and I think he'll do reasonably well here. But the Eredivisie is an offense-oriented league, and players are really protected by the referees. Generally attacking players who star in the Eredivisie are much less successful once they leave, Altidore being the primary American example. There are also guys like Afonso Alves, Kezman, etc., who were complete disasters once they left the league.

Jozy Altidore got massive numbers mostly based off his numbers at AZ, not a chance in hell Johannsson makes below a million

He got massive numbers primarily because he's a star in the American game, not because of his Dutch league performances three seasons ago. His profile is much higher than Johansson's and Toronto are an exceptionally wealthy team. The size of his salary was considered bizarre by basically everyone, you're the first person I've known to think it establishes the rule for USMNT players in the MLS.

Debating salaries really doesn't matter. DP or not he's on the allocation list and we are currently 16 in the order. It's not happening.

I like Johansson and I think he'll do reasonably well here. But the Eredivisie is an offense-oriented league, and players are really protected by the referees. Generally attacking players who star in the Eredivisie are much less successful once they leave, Altidore being the primary American example. There are also guys like Afonso Alves, Kezman, etc., who were complete disasters once they left the league.

But they are offset by Ronaldo, Suarez, Ibrahimovic, Romario, Van Nistlerooy, Berkamp, Van Persie, Robben, Van Basten, Gudjohnsen, Kluivert, Laudrups, Kuiyt, Huntelaar, Sneijder, Kanu, Bony, Overmars, Litmanen etc etc

Reactions: FootyLovin