Away 05/23 - Rsl

Gotta come out firing. We've been pretty good at getting chances early, but they haven't amounted to enough. I'd really like to see some high pressure early on and maybe, just maybe, get an easier chance* in the early going.

Last edited:
Rsl is going to be up for this match. Coming off a 4-1 drubbing by Montreal and Kreis return this is going to be a tough match. Hopefully they can continue the last 60 minutes agaunst chicago into 90 minutes against RSL

Gotta come out firing. We've been pretty good at getting chances early, but they haven't amounted to enough. I'd really like to see some high pressure early on and maybe, just maybe, get an easier change in the early going.
Agreed, we have to come out aggressive and with discipline. We've had way too many red cards so far

My keys to a win:
Calle comes back
Team ignores Kreis' gameplan and plays like they do when they are desperate

Keys to losing:
Half the team forgets they are playing for NYC not RSL
More passes backwards than forwards

What are yours?

Would love to have Calle back. Has there been an update?

Would love to have Calle back. Has there been an update?
Injury report yesterday said "Questionable", so looks like a coin-flip.

http://www.livesoccertv.com/teams/united-states/new-york-city/

It's a really good site. If you go to the front page it shows you all the matches from all the leagues. They have an app too.
Yes. Yes, they do. And you can set up notifications by nation, league, team, whatever. It has significantly reduced my visits to the Philly soccer page.

It also has links to legal on-line streams - useful if you're like me and (quite accidentally since I forgot to cancel during my free trial) bought a year long subscription to the worst soccer app of all time for a cool $150. Looking at you Fox Soccer 2 Go - ought to be called Fox These Bastards Don't Know What to Do With a Football 2 Go based on all the damn rugby on there.

I wouldn't put many eggs in Calle's basket for tomorrow (can't believe tomorrow's gameday already), Kreis has seemingly erred on the side of caution this season.

My keys to a win:
Calle comes back
Team ignores Kreis' gameplan and plays like they do when they are desperate

Keys to losing:
Half the team forgets they are playing for NYC not RSL
More passes backwards than forwards

What are yours?
Moon in the 7th house. Jupiter aligned with Mars. Peace guiding the planets and love ruling the stars.

Snark aside, play all game with the energy that won the second half vs Chicago and has made cameo appearances all season but rarely for more than 15 minutes at a stretch.

image.jpg

I think Kreis starts Grabavoy because he's back from injury. Either Ballouchy or Alvarez will be the 4th midfielder and Mullins or Nemec will start up top. For fullbacks I could see Facey maybe starting, but I think Kreis will stick to the vets away against a good RSL team.

Last Updated: May 21, 2015
OUT: D George John (knee surgery 7/31/14) - READ / UPDATE
OUT: F Tony Taylor (ACL rupture, LCL damage, out for season) - READ
OUT: D Josh Williams (left adductor injury, DNP 5/15)
QUESTIONABLE: M Ned Grabavoy (pelvis injury, DNP 5/15, training 5/19) - REPORT
M Javier Calle (left adductor strain, DNP 5/15)
D Kwame Watson-Siriboe (ankle injury, did not train 5/20)

So, who do you want to see on the right? Probably no Calle tonight, too, so we'll have to hope KWS can go, maybe force Wingert wide? Or go full crazy, slide Jacobson into one of the back wings and start a more attacking midfield.

It'd been talked about before, but playing villa behind Mullins and Nemec, with Mix behind and to his left, Khiry behind and to his right, and someone back in a defensive mid (if we have any defenders left), would be my choice. Villa needs the ball with some space, instead of constantly being forced to watch for the offside trap, where he can turn and go up field more easily. I think the shot he took that Ballouchy rebounded last game was proof he's almost, if not entirely, back to 100%

Reactions: Midas Mulligan
#1. I think all of these predictions that omit our leading scorer completely fail to see the pattern Kreis has established. No question Ballouchy plays. Zero.

#2. Tommy Mac provided enough hustle last week that he finally gets a start.

#3. Kreis surprises everyone with a back line of Hernandez, Boyd Okwuonu, Justen Glad, and Phanuel Kavita. Kreis arranges the one game loan for the three RSL defenders yet to play a single minute this year saying, "They are on the RSL roster so they must be quality." When asked about Okwuonu being out on injury Kreis replied, "Roll him out there on a wheel chair. At least he probably won't get a red for tackling someone who is in on goal. And for us, that's progress."

I don't understand the "position shift" move unless you are taking about a guy that has such transcendent talent that you just need to find him a position on the field. Play two natural center backs, wingerts skill set is not worth the growing pains.

By the way, have you ever seen these two in the same room? Winger/Wingert? Coincidence?
winger-sm.jpg

Reactions: JayH and Paul