Away - October 28 - Toronto (Postgame)

We've lost three games since August 24. I think it's time we start to realize that this is a really good soccer team. Yes there are some issues, yes guys are hurt, but this team is certainly capable of going on a deep run in the playoffs. We are probably true-talent no worse than the 3rd best team in the East, and we are not much worse than Philly and Columbus. Why not us?
You think we have more talent than two of Toronto, Philly, Columbus, and Orlando? Even with Heber, Sands, and Mitrita all gone now?

I love the optimism, and once you get into the playoffs, anything can happen, but I feel like we haven't played well against a good team since our 1-1 draw at Orlando. Yeah, we played really well last night, but TFC was missing key players (that will or should actually be back in the playoffs, unlike ours except for Isi).
Obviously anything can happen in the playoffs, but I don't see us making a deep run without any luck. We still have a lack of depth and our finishing has been dreadful. The teams we have beaten aren't exactly the best and the teams we've lost to have been the top teams. (Last night to me was an outlier. If you read the TFC perspective they were appalled at the line up that was put out. Same when we beat Columbus. Rotated line up). I think we are exactly the team we think we are. A mid table team that beats the teams we are suppose to and loses the games we are suppose to. We're an average team with issues. I think thats where so much of our frustration comes from. Purgatory.

We need a goal scorer yesterday. I don’t think he’s ever done it other than situationally, but I might give Isi a shot at the 9, alone or in a two.

we will not get very far with Taty as a lone 9, and it doesn’t really hurt us to give up a winger if that winger is GMS.

We've only scored more than 1 goal 7 times in 21 games. but, we've also only given up more than 1 goal 4 times. We've been shut out 7 times, and earned a clean sheet 7 times. With such a low goal record on both sides like that, you have to say we have a shot going in to every game we play. It's just not particularly confidence-inspiring either.

For those who like advanced stats, ASA has NYC 4th best in the league for xGoal differential, behind only 1 team in the East. But that team is New England so maybe something is off? But OTOH, midway through the season Columbus was overperforming its xG stats more than any team in the league and then they regressed going 1-4-2 in their last 7 so maybe there is something to it. On that note, Philadelphia is now effectively tied with Portland for the biggest overperformance beyond its xG stats. They're good, but arguably not as good as they seem.

On the even fresher Goals Added (G+) stat, which ASA says is more meaningful than xG, NYC is second in the league behind only Seattle (New England is 4th).

Put all this together and I don't expect us to make MLS cup, and we'll probably lose to Seattle (who I hate to admit is probably all that good for real) if we do, but though a deep run and even a Cup win would be something of an upset, it would be less than shocking.

You think we have more talent than two of Toronto, Philly, Columbus, and Orlando? Even with Heber, Sands, and Mitrita all gone now?

I love the optimism, and once you get into the playoffs, anything can happen, but I feel like we haven't played well against a good team since our 1-1 draw at Orlando. Yeah, we played really well last night, but TFC was missing key players (that will or should actually be back in the playoffs, unlike ours except for Isi).

I think we're better than Orlando and probably on the level with Toronto. And I don't think Philly or Columbus are miles ahead of us. Listen, we'll probably lose in the playoffs because 15 of the 16 playoff teams will lose, but there's every chance we can pull a couple upsets. We've been really good lately, even though I realize much of our success has come against lower-ranked teams.

Reactions: Shwafta
Put all this together and I don't expect us to make MLS cup, and we'll probably lose to Seattle (who I hate to admit is probably all that good for real) if we do, but though a deep run and even a Cup win would be something of an upset, it would be less than shocking.

This is basically my point. It probably won't happen, but it might. It is starting to feel like the team is starting to figure out Deila's system. I don't think he's as bad a coach as people thought he was in July.

This is basically my point. It probably won't happen, but it might. It is starting to feel like the team is starting to figure out Deila's system. I don't think he's as bad a coach as people thought he was in July.
While maybe the players are understanding the system better and therefore playing better, I still am in the camp that any coach who sees Ring as a winger just doesn't have it all together. His player management and subs havent improved all that much which is why im still a) done with Deila and because of the pandemic b) writing off this season

It might be an understanding of the system. It might also be a return from injury for Maxi and Ring playing his best position.

Has something indicated that Deila has a system? Just asking.

Reactions: Keith Putnam
Has something indicated that Deila has a system? Just asking.

Deila's system is playing people who don't deserve to play and others in their incorrect positions.

the player's understanding this, are able to compensate and play how they know how to play.

imagine if we had a lot of turnover this season and say half or more of the team were new players. We wouldn't be midtable. we'd be scraping the bottom. the ONLY reason we can play well at times is cause these are players who know each other well and know how to play a REAL system well.

Reactions: adam
Deila's system is playing people who don't deserve to play and others in their incorrect positions.

the player's understanding this, are able to compensate and play how they know how to play.

imagine if we had a lot of turnover this season and say half or more of the team were new players. We wouldn't be midtable. we'd be scraping the bottom. the ONLY reason we can play well at times is cause these are players who know each other well and know how to play a REAL system well.

The team started winning once the senior players had that ”meeting” with Deila two months ago.
I still haven’t demanded his sacking, but it’s quite obvious that the guy is out of his depth. Is this because of covid, new league, a drinking problem or whatever I don’t know, but I haven’t seen one single decision by Deila, that would have taken the team to 5th place and a play-off spot in the league. I think the players are pretty much on their own. Perhaps the only exception is, of all people, Jesus Medina, who has chipped in some goals when he’s been given more playing time than we thought he deserved.
The team is doing pretty ok despite of Deila.

Reactions: moogoo

I honestly think this is largely due to his lack of playing time. he's not match sharp. These sorts of touches are what you see in pre-season/early season.

I think he will improve. I don't think anybody doubts his work ethic and to his credit, I can't recall a single time where he flopped last night and he had plenty of opportunities to do so with the slow TFC CBs crowding him.

That all being said, Taty is not a traditional lone #9. He works best as part of a dynamic pair. Unfortunately, neither Medina or Gary are on the same wave length as Taty. Gary can be dynamic at times but he and Taty just do not have the right kind of chemistry. Medina is just too damn slow, both his pace and his decision making.

I thought Taty did really well alongside Heber or Isi last year. Isi being very dangerous with his left foot drew a lot of defenders, which allowed taty the freedom to get into open space or in behind. Heber was also a threat. I don't think defenders see gary or medina as threats. lol. I know if i were defending them, I wouldn't be too worried if either of them got the ball outside the box.

I definitely think that some of his struggles are because time and time again he is isolated trying to break down an entire defensive line himself. I think you can imagine how much better he would be with two true DP wingers.

I think we are also seeing the that with the condensed schedule the team (per Ronny) is not able to focus on technical skills development like they normally would because they can't have full training sessions, and that hurts a player like Taty the most.

Gary is playing better, and with Maxi back, I am bullish on Taty the rest of the season.

As for position, I think if we get Heber back, Taty can 100% play the wing in Ronny's system. Ronny loves wingers making those runs into the box and defensive workrate.

I read this pretty quickly and read it as one player named Gary Medina and it was frightening.
It is Halloween after all and the Frankensteinesque “Gary Mackay Medina” costume is this years scariest.

Two left feet and neither can hit the target?

giphy.gif