Blues Again Pursuing Spanish Gk, Iker Casillas

For the life of me I cannot understand this. Just why? Seems as if club management is not concerned about talent/skill but would rather attract a more publicly known figure to the team, probably with one thing in mind, sales. Makes no sense.
You realize Saunders goals against average was 1.73 last year right?

Everyone focuses on how many saves he made but he's at the bottom in goals allowed. Only 4 other keepers who played 10+ games have a worse average of goals allowed.

Saunders is by no means a world class talent and if we can get a player who could be better, and at the same age, why not?

You realize Saunders goals against average was 1.73 last year right?

Everyone focuses on how many saves he made but he's at the bottom in goals allowed. Only 4 other keepers who played 10+ games have a worse average of goals allowed.

Saunders is by no means a world class talent and if we can get a player who could be better, and at the same age, why not?

Your reply loses all credibility from the start. Are you seriously using GAA to judge a keeper in soccer? Really? That's a new one.

I heard a really interesting interview on the Planet Futbol podcast last week with a leading soccer stats/analytics guy. He made the point that goalkeeping is one of the most important positions on the pitch and one of the hardest to evaluate. He said a top goalie can be worth 10 extra points over the course of a club season, but it's very hard to use stats to figure out who those guys are.

That's a long winded way of saying if he's an upgrade over Saunders, and I think that's true - even if he struggled at Real - then he can be a valuable addition for us.

I don't like bringing in a 35 year old player regardless of position. Iker was a great goalie but his skills have really diminished over the last couple of years and I think there are probably better options if they want to replace Saunders.

Reactions: Gene and gbservis
There are plenty of available local goalkeepers i.e. Zach Macmath lol poor guy. And many other we can get for fairly cheap. So he would have to come very cheap.

Reactions: Tom in Fairfield CT
There are plenty of available local goalkeepers i.e. Zach Macmath lol poor guy. And many other we can get for fairly cheap. So he would have to come very cheap.
Most likely, last year it was reported that Real Madrid are still paying a big chunk of his salary.

Couple that with the fact that NYC appeals to him and his gf (she's a Spanish language reporter) and you can see him taking a pay cut.

I think you guys are being too harsh on Saunders, idk if we were watching the same games but he kept us in certain games. Yea you can throw GAA but considering how beyond terrible our back line was, most of those goals would've not even been attempted. We are solid at GK.

Saunders has the potential to be a great GK and an amazing leader. The reason he allowed so many goals was because the back 4 allowed the offense to take so many shots! And in fact Saunders saved at least half of thoes shots. Not to mention Saunders is the only one who thanks the fans after EVERY game. I would disgrace NYCFC if they bring in yet another old superstar.

For the life of me I cannot understand this. Just why? Seems as if club management is not concerned about talent/skill but would rather attract a more publicly known figure to the team, probably with one thing in mind, sales. Makes no sense.

What? You have the opportunity to bring in Spain's #1 Keeper and you turn that down??

Some of you people are looney