CCL - February 15 - Santos de Guapiles (Away)

All for Taty's sky's out thighs out roll-em-up shorts. Also thought Zelalem played well but not great. Cacha looked meh to me, not helping offensively and barely doing anything on defense either. Not great when you barely hear one of your midfielder's names for an extended period of time. Almost felt like it was a lone man midfield with Zelalem being the only outlet for the CBs in the middle of the pitch. I think this was Zelalem's first game getting more than 20 minutes? Or did I miss an extended sub appearance somewhere?

Good first game, shake off the rust, and get the ball rolling. Early PK definitely helped calm some nerves in our first game back. Would like to see a CM pivot of Zelalem and Haak next game, maybe have them play in the 2nd half- presuming the first half goes well.

Reactions: JayH
I think Zelalem played ok. Rust mistakes and like someone mentioned, first game in a long time (last time he got red carded), so I am confident he'll improve if he gets more time. But as it stands, Parks is still head and shoulders above him and I think he showed that even in the 15 mins he got. I think Parks is more aware of what's going on everywhere in the field. I think that's likely because of his experience. Parks is also more physical and, at least from what I've seen so far, more confident dribbling to keep possession and progress the ball forward.

Zelalem seemed like he would look for a pass 9 times out of 10, even if he had the space to dribble forward. He also frustrated me a couple times when he had the chance to switch the field and release a wingback but chose to play back into traffic instead.

All in all, I'm happy with his performance. I think he'll get better. But right now, I prefer Parks. It's hard to be upset though if Zelalem is our backup. Our starting midfield though is Maxi, Parks, and Morales. Acevedo has good vision but still needs to improve. In particular, his physicality and speed of play.

All for Taty's sky's out thighs out roll-em-up shorts. Also thought Zelalem played well but not great. Cacha looked meh to me, not helping offensively and barely doing anything on defense either. Not great when you barely hear one of your midfielder's names for an extended period of time. Almost felt like it was a lone man midfield with Zelalem being the only outlet for the CBs in the middle of the pitch. I think this was Zelalem's first game getting more than 20 minutes? Or did I miss an extended sub appearance somewhere?

Good first game, shake off the rust, and get the ball rolling. Early PK definitely helped calm some nerves in our first game back. Would like to see a CM pivot of Zelalem and Haak next game, maybe have them play in the 2nd half- presuming the first half goes well.
Taty is just rolling up those shorts to show how good Dude Wipes are at keeping everything clean.

Zelalem seemed like he would look for a pass 9 times out of 10, even if he had the space to dribble forward. He also frustrated me a couple times when he had the chance to switch the field and release a wingback but chose to play back into traffic instead.
I do remember one play in the first half where he looked a defender out of a channel and then passed it down that channel to a streaking Gray up the right.

That should be a clip the coaching staff shows to him after the game and saying, we need more of this.

Reactions: moogoo and JayH
I do remember one play in the first half where he looked a defender out of a channel and then passed it down that channel to a streaking Gray up the right.

That should be a clip the coaching staff shows to him after the game and saying, we need more of this.

Not saying passing is bad. And if he's picking out perfect, line breaking/releasing passes every single time, then there's nothing to criticize. But it didn't seem to me like he was progressing the ball forward as quickly or as efficiently as Parks. That's my basis for comparison. Zelalem seems to be more than happy to sit back though instead of making runs into the box like Parks.

Different styles but if they are fighting for the same position, Parks brings more to the table at the moment. With parks or zelalem on the field, the other d-mid needs to be more of a destroyer type. unfortunately, acevedo is not that. Morales is, albeit sometimes recklessly (but so was Ring). Where does Haak fit in? I haven't seen enough of his play to know if he's a destroyer or a holding mid or box2box or all of the above.

Not saying passing is bad. And if he's picking out perfect, line breaking/releasing passes every single time, then there's nothing to criticize. But it didn't seem to me like he was progressing the ball forward as quickly or as efficiently as Parks. That's my basis for comparison. Zelalem seems to be more than happy to sit back though instead of making runs into the box like Parks.
Oh I agree with you. Just wanted to point out that he's quite capable of it and has even shown glimpses of it, even last night. Just need to see more.

Reactions: moogoo
I think this was Zelalem's first game getting more than 20 minutes? Or did I miss an extended sub appearance somewhere?
He started the last game of the season against the Union and got a red card in minute 21 but was credited with 23 minutes! :rolleyes::p
Other than the Philly game, it was Zelalem's first start and first appearance over 20 minutes since 2019 with Sporting KC. Prior to that stint at Sporting KC, he hadn't gotten more than 20 minutes in a first tier game since May 1, 2016 with Rangers. Most of the interim time was spent injured or rehabbing with youth teams.

In 2015/2016, he was a regular in central midfield for Rangers, appearing in 26 games and starting 15. Let that sink in for a minute.

The season before, he got 45 minutes for Arsenal in a Champions League group stage match. He was still only 17.

its a red even in MLS. Zelalem has similar red vs philly in the last game of the season. not bad intent just clumsy/ mistimed.
I went and watched again in the MLS highlights. Look at the first replay. Santi doesn't even get up to the ankle. He just steps on the guy's foot. It was awkward because the player's foot was sideways and not flat, but no way that's a red card. He wasn't moving with force, or leading with his studs, or even trying a tackle.

I went and watched again in the MLS highlights. Look at the first replay. Santi doesn't even get up to the ankle. He just steps on the guy's foot. It was awkward because the player's foot was sideways and not flat, but no way that's a red card. He wasn't moving with force, or leading with his studs, or even trying a tackle.

its the studs up hitting the player (at first glance i thought it his the opponents ankle, even though replay show it didnt). thats always grey area and the chance of a red is always there imo. even if its just mis timed. i dont think at all that it was with bad intention though.

its the studs up hitting the player (at first glance i thought it his the opponents ankle, even though replay show it didnt). thats always grey area and the chance of a red is always there imo. even if its just mis timed. i dont think at all that it was with bad intention though.

But it wasn't studs up. He literally stepped down on the guy's foot as they clambered into each other. I'm not shocked it was a red, but it's probably better left at yellow, or even just a foul.

But it wasn't studs up. He literally stepped down on the guy's foot as they clambered into each other. I'm not shocked it was a red, but it's probably better left at yellow, or even just a foul.

I would have been ok with a yellow. Red was harsh. Unfortunately, after ref makes that call it's hard for VAR to reverse it.

could be worse...? we could have had the refs from montreal's game.

Reactions: Kjbert

i just think the ref thought he saw the studs hit the players ankle from his angle. so he gave a red. then VAR team probably just thought it was enough to keep the red when studs hit the foot late( santi was late).

again imo anytime studs hit foot/ ankle, especially when late, runs the risk of a red.

Twitter knows I like NYCFC and shows me tweets it thinks I will engage with.
Someone wrote a tweet last night with rules for when you can use bing bong. like only playoff games or something, which I thought was dumb, so I ignored it, but it had 70+ likes.
The algorithm refuses to respect my lack of interest and keeps putting it in my timeline. Over and over again.
And again.
I won't post a link because then the algo wins.
Oh, there it is again. Ha. Scrolled right past it. F#ck off algorithm.

Reactions: SoupInNYC and BC19