Change It.

Please can you explain (to the ignorant Englishman) what the NFL coaches challenge is ?

NFL Coach's Challenge

NFL coaches are allowed 2 "challenges" to an official ruling on the field, per game. Basically, if a coach doesn't agree with a referee's call / ruling on the field, he'll throw out a "red flag" (before play resumes) to force the officials to review the previous play via video replay. The refs can either confirm the original call or overrule (change) it.

For example, in a soccer (football) match, ball goes out of bounds and goal kick is called. Opposing coach disagrees and thinks a defender touched the ball before it went out of bounds (corner kick). Game stops, referees watch the video replay and can say NO, defender did NOT touch the ball, original call stands, goal kick. OR referee can say video replay evidence shows defender DID touch ball, so they'll change the call on the field and award the corner kick.

Another example could be for handballs. Ref doesn't see handball on field, but coaches do. Coaches could stop play and review video replay to see if handball did occur, etc.

The Golden goal was tried in one of the World cups, I cannot remember why it was
If you go into extra time allow an extra substitute for each period - takes subs from 3 to 5.

Also have a free substitute for GK changes due to injury.

They need to also figure out how to deal with concussions better.

How about the opposite, take a player off every five minutes, increasing the open space on the field

Like the old NHL rule where they went to a 4 on 4 in overtime?

I want a Golden Goal instead of Penalties. But you have to think about the health of the players. You are utterly exhausted after 120 minutes.

Like the old NHL rule where they went to a 4 on 4 in overtime?

I want a Golden Goal instead of Penalties. But you have to think about the health of the players. You are utterly exhausted after 120 minutes.

Don't really think the abolishment of shootouts is remotely realistic anyway. With goal line replays its been obvious for years they were coming.

Far greater athleticism too than the archaic rules (those relating to time not stuff like coin flips) used prior to penalty shootouts. Some people say players had far more skill in the past (which seems to be older people looking through rose tinted glasses) but the majority certainly didn't have more athleticism. You only have to look at the pace of games over several years and of course dietary/training methods.

I'd like to see a more active crackdown on dives (simulation, flops, etc). MLS seems to be using fines more and more, post-game.

I like how NBA imposes fines for flops ($5000 for each offense reviewed via video replay after the fact), increments of $5000 per offense up to $30,000 after the 5th offense (and the possibility of suspension). $5000 fines in MLS isn't realistic, BUT I don't see that as big of a problem in La Liga, Premier League, Serie A, Bundesliga, etc.

I said goal line replays "without a doubt" but I forgot about handshakes which aren't far behind in my changes list. If Brazil meet Argentina in the final the last thing many Brazilians and Argentinians want to see is their players shaking hands with each other. As far as they are concerned a world cup final is nothing short of war especially against each other. Same with Germany and Netherlands as well I guess since they don't exactly like each other either. Its got nothing to do with "fair play" and actually makes a mockery out of it when cheating or acts of violence later occur.

Also players should stop being forced to line up in the tunnel like schoolchildren. Run out onto the pitch and be accounted for is all what should happen. That does not require the need to line up like a bunch of schoolkids. I acknowledge most people probably don't care how players come out the tunnel but for some reason it slightly annoys me.

Last edited:
Brazil and Argentina are a step removed from Third World nation status. If their fans can't take the players shaking hands, they have bigger issues to figure out.

I like how they line up and come out as a team. It's a team sport.

Reactions: Paul
I'd like to see a more active crackdown on dives (simulation, flops, etc). MLS seems to be using fines more and more, post-game.

I like how NBA imposes fines for flops ($5000 for each offense reviewed via video replay after the fact), increments of $5000 per offense up to $30,000 after the 5th offense (and the possibility of suspension). $5000 fines in MLS isn't realistic, BUT I don't see that as big of a problem in La Liga, Premier League, Serie A, Bundesliga, etc.

Fines would change nothing in Europe. Even a £30,000 fine is peanuts to the players. It would simply turn FIFA into even more of a joke for their toothlessness. It reminds me of the story of when, a good decade or two ago, a British rock star (I forget who) was caught smoking on a British Airways flight and fined £500 for doing so. He promptly wrote a cheque for £1,000 and told the hostess "I'll be smoking again later, here's my payment in advance". It's just a mick-take, fines in professional football solve nothing. That's why I advocate match bans.

Well what about stumbles, slips etc is it possible to judge between that and a dive in every instance? If you want 100% conclusive proof in goal line replays (and I respect that opinion just disagree with it) then shouldn't diving instances only be ruled at 100% clear guilt under the postgame review system?

I don't think that many review panels with 10,000 frame/second ultra-slow-mo footage from 15 angles (the number of cameras the Premier League insists on football clubs having installed) and a week to review the footage will be mistaking any slips for dives. It's extremely hard for a referee to tell in the heat of the moment. It's incredibly easy for after-the-fact video reviews to tell the difference. And in case a margin of error needs instilling, you just say that if the panel can't be sure then the player gets away with it. It only needs 2 in every 5 guilty players to get punished for the rest of them to get scared off.

I have to admit that I don't know what you mean by "only be ruled at 100% clear guilt" though. I'm not sure how to interpret that phrase.

Last edited:
Also players should stop being forced to line up in the tunnel like schoolchildren. Run out onto the pitch and be accounted for is all what should happen.

Ha, I want it like NFL or college football. Smoke. Pyro. Cannons. And guys charging out with a huge flag. And cheerleaders.

This one's easy. The biggest disaster in the game's rules (and FIFA knows it) is: the Red Card.

Complete and total disaster. So many times in the World Cup I heard the announcers say "Well, that has to be a red card! That would've been a red card in a regular game!" But it wasn't a red card at the World Cup. Why? Because the Red Card concept is a game-breaking piece of crap. FIFA knows it. That's why they instruct the refs at the WC not to use it unless an extreme situation occurs. I'm convinced they aren't allowed to use it in the Final. Just ask De Jong.

FIFA is working on fixing it (sin bin anyone?) so they know its a disaster.

If FIFA gets rid of the red card, I will lose my faith in the sport. It will be the final sign that FIFA is determined to make the sport more about appealing to the TV audience than about being a real sporting competition.

You can punish a player /team without turning the whole game to shit. Believe me, we do it across 4 sports.

I disagree that a game goes downhill once a player is sent off. In fact the very fact that it totally changes the dynamics of the game means it can turn a really dull match into a lively one. Some of the greatest performances I have ever witnessed have been from teams down to 10 men who had been terrible before the red card but forced to play out of their very skins once a man light.

Besides, the issue is that the red card discourages professional fouls by reminding the players that a bad foul doesn't just punish them, it punishes the team. It's worked for over a century, I'm not really sure why it's becoming such a controversial point at present.

It's probably worth saying that I do also favour the reverting of refereeing standards to how it was about 20-30 years ago - i.e. it should be far harder to win a foul, fouls should only be given for occasions where there was a genuine risk of injury, not just for any situation where there's the slightest contest. Accordingly red cards IMHO should only be given for challenges where there is no attempt whatsoever to play the ball, or where serious injury could have occurred, so you'd still see a number less red cards if football were refereed how I picture it.

Last edited:
FIFA reaffirmed to me today that they refuse to use the game-breaking red card in a Final.

Let's just have players dropkick each other, sit in a penalty box for 5 mins and allow them back in the game

Let's just have players dropkick each other, sit in a penalty box for 5 mins and allow them back in the game
I do not support the sin bin or orange card.

Throw the player out but allow the team to sub on a replacement. Fines and extended suspensions could also be added in after a review of the incident.
I wouldn't be against a PK thrown in either.

No one would dare cross the line on purpose with those kinds of penalties and we get to enjoy the game as its meant to be played -- 11 vs. 11.

I do not support the sin bin or orange card.

Throw the player out but allow the team to sub on a replacement. Fines and extended suspensions could also be added in after a review of the incident.
I wouldn't be against a PK thrown in either.

No one would dare cross the line on purpose with those kinds of penalties and we get to enjoy the game as its meant to be played -- 11 vs. 11.

The game has gone soft, you should have heard the uproar in here last night when the German Keeper punched the ball. He got the ball fair and square, he went through everything to ensure he got it. Now I (and most of the old boys)agree with the referee, but 30 punters (the younger boys that still play) in here didn't and would have sent him off.

Now Red Cards are a matter of the referees opinion, (OK in most cases it can be justified in the context of current rules)

To start awarding Penalty Kicks on the opinion of the referee is ludicrous. If the attacker fouls the defender, and the ref sends off the attacker for an incident, are you seriously suggesting the defending team get a penalty.

We should make life easier for referees.
Any tackle where the ball is won before the player is touched -- No Foul
(Yes defenders should be allowed to go through forwards in the tackle - it worked for 100 years before Platini's tears)
Offside is offside - As per Brian Cloughs analogy... If a player is not interfering with play he shouldn't be on the pitch. (Never seen a player sent of for being offside though !!)

Its not the card that is wrong, it is the modern interpretation of the rules. How a foul can be awarded "because in the referees opinion one player endangered another" is wrong. If a player wins a ball (first), he wins it. If a player takes out a player before winning the ball, then its a foul.
This would quarter the number of decisions a referee has to make and reduce sendings off tenfold.