Change It.

Well you actually have to tackle someone in Rugby wrap your arms around them and bring them down in American football you can have a really large but fast guy dive into someone which would be a penalty in rugby.

As per a rule change this might be a bit specific but I hate in two leg aggregate ties that use away goals as a tie breaker they allow away goals scored in extra time to count as a away goals and a tie breaker. It''s an unfair advantage to the team that is away in the second leg as extra 30 minutes was not given to the team away in the first leg to grab away goals.

Reactions: NYCFCFan10 and MrE
I don't recall any away goals in extra time counting double? Surely if you go beyond the regular 90 minutes then it's just down to whether either team can go a goal ahead after a further 30 mins? No away goal rule involved?

Reactions: NYJoe
Fines would change nothing in Europe. Even a £30,000 fine is peanuts to the players. It would simply turn FIFA into even more of a joke for their toothlessness. It reminds me of the story of when, a good decade or two ago, a British rock star (I forget who) was caught smoking on a British Airways flight and fined £500 for doing so. He promptly wrote a cheque for £1,000 and told the hostess "I'll be smoking again later, here's my payment in advance". It's just a mick-take, fines in professional football solve nothing. That's why I advocate match bans.

I don't think that many review panels with 10,000 frame/second ultra-slow-mo footage from 15 angles (the number of cameras the Premier League insists on football clubs having installed) and a week to review the footage will be mistaking any slips for dives. It's extremely hard for a referee to tell in the heat of the moment. It's incredibly easy for after-the-fact video reviews to tell the difference. And in case a margin of error needs instilling, you just say that if the panel can't be sure then the player gets away with it. It only needs 2 in every 5 guilty players to get punished for the rest of them to get scared off.

I have to admit that I don't know what you mean by "only be ruled at 100% clear guilt" though. I'm not sure how to interpret that phrase.

Slowing down a piece of action can have the result of making the "foul" look worse than it actually was at match speed.

I have an old VHS (yes I am that old) tape which I recorded my sons first football match on (he was 7). During the action an opposition player has the ball. My son comes from off Camera and makes a tackle on the player, committing a foul in the process.
It was a mis-timed tackle (as far as seven year olds can tackle !!!) plain and simple, the free kick got taken and the game carried on.
However when you slow that piece of action down it looks like the most malicious tackle you have ever seen.

Apply that scenario to the Ryan Shawcross / Aeron Ramsey situation. Watch it at match speed..... Ramsey was actually the player who jumped in. Shawcross had the ball..... Watch it in slow motion... Shawcross pre meditated it....... I believe that it was merely a playing incident. No premeditation, Ramsey had every right to challenge, Shawcross every right to retain.... If you watch the ref, the only reason Shawcross got sent off was because of the result (Broken leg)... If you listened to the outcry then you would have imprisoned Shawcross for assault.

The outcry was a result of the slo mo pictures.

Slow motion applied to justice can be a dangerous thing

right now I might say I'd change the forfeit over having fielded an ineligible player rule. I think the fact that Celtic are allowed back in the Champions league after getting drubbed 6-1 over two legs is a frigging joke.

right now I might say I'd change the forfeit over having fielded an ineligible player rule. I think the fact that Celtic are allowed back in the Champions league after getting drubbed 6-1 over two legs is a frigging joke.

Out of sheer curiosity, what punishment would you use instead?

Fine which is apparently what last time the same thing happened with a team from Hungary. Seems way too harsh guy was on the field for 4 minutes and clearly didn't affect the outcome of the match. Celtic were pathetic and in no way deserve to still be in it.

Reactions: MrE
It seams like every thread breaks down to USA vs English. Its pretty funny. As for a rule change I am going to throw this out from the playing side instead of the viewing side as I have played striker for my entire life (minus a couple years at the start). It's not so much a rule as a poor application of the rules that are there but I can not stand that the Keeper is a protected species. The keeper has no more right to the ball than I do. The fact that he can Punch me in the face and its ok but a slight should bump when we are both challenging for the ball is foul on the field player is insane to me. Its not as bad in the EPL but the protection is still epidemic throughout all leagues. The thought that the keeper needs to be protected when going up for the ball doesn't make sense to me. The keeper has a distinct advantage of being able to use his hands when going up. If anyone needs protection it is the field player. I just get to throw my head into some ones fist.

It seams like every thread breaks down to USA vs English. Its pretty funny. As for a rule change I am going to throw this out from the playing side instead of the viewing side as I have played striker for my entire life (minus a couple years at the start). It's not so much a rule as a poor application of the rules that are there but I can not stand that the Keeper is a protected species. The keeper has no more right to the ball than I do. The fact that he can Punch me in the face and its ok but a slight should bump when we are both challenging for the ball is foul on the field player is insane to me. Its not as bad in the EPL but the protection is still epidemic throughout all leagues. The thought that the keeper needs to be protected when going up for the ball doesn't make sense to me. The keeper has a distinct advantage of being able to use his hands when going up. If anyone needs protection it is the field player. I just get to throw my head into some ones fist.

I am / was a keeper... And I agree...

Number 1 in a keepers armory.... Make sure you make sure the striker feels the first challenge.

I loved playing against hard strikers. Keepers are over protected today.

Reactions: ozgie
I am / was a keeper... And I agree...

Number 1 in a keepers armory.... Make sure you make sure the striker feels the first challenge.

I loved playing against hard strikers. Keepers are over protected today.
my respect for you grows MrE

I think the MLS logo should be updated. I think I may have watched one too many House Hunters episodes, but the MLS logo looks . . . dated.
220px-MLS_Logo.svg.png

Reactions: einwindir