COVID-19 - Leagues Suspended

From Rainey Park, in Astoria/Long Island City. I have a full 4K version of this but it wouldn't let me upload the larger versions to the board.
That’s great stuff. Thanks. Just showed it to my 4-YO, who loved it.

It was a great thing for the kids. They‘ve been suffering in this lockdown, and are reaching a breaking point. The flyover gave them something to look forward to and something new and fun when they saw it.

That‘s one reason I can’t abide by the sourpusses on line who criticized the flyover. We need more stuff like this, not less.

Reactions: SoupInNYC
From Rainey Park, in Astoria/Long Island City. I have a full 4K version of this but it wouldn't let me upload the larger versions to the board.

That's pretty awesome. Great spot for the overhead flyover. I uploaded mine to Youtube. As Gotham Gator Gotham Gator noted regarding his kids, you can hear the neighbor's kids' excitement that came up on the roof in this one.

Reactions: Gotham Gator
It was a great thing for the kids. They‘ve been suffering in this lockdown, and are reaching a breaking point. The flyover gave them something to look forward to and something new and fun when they saw it.
Semi-responsive: I just want to remark on how a teenager can manage to spend so little time with her parents even while locked in a house alone with them for 6 weeks. It's impressive in its way.

Semi-responsive: I just want to remark on how a teenager can manage to spend so little time with her parents even while locked in a house alone with them for 6 weeks. It's impressive in its way.
Do you not do family dinners, etc.?

Do you not do family dinners, etc.?
I didn't say no time at all. Meals are about all we get with her, except once a week she emerges to watch one thing with us. She likes musicals. Andrew Lloyd Webber has been making one show of his available for a limited release on Youtube each weekend since the quarantine started.

Reactions: Shwafta
I didn't say no time at all. Meals are about all we get with her, except once a week she emerges to watch one thing with us. She likes musicals. Andrew Lloyd Webber has been making one show of his available for a limited release on Youtube each weekend since the quarantine started.
I guess that's really about what happens here too, though we've started a dinner rotation. Every night someone else makes dinner, so in that sense we see each other... Maybe find games to play with her or something? Just thoughts...

Reactions: mgarbowski
I guess that's really about what happens here too, though we've started a dinner rotation. Every night someone else makes dinner, so in that sense we see each other... Maybe find games to play with her or something? Just thoughts...
We've made attempts and decided not to push it. She seems to be handling the quarantine well so it's not worth forcing anything.

Last edited:

That's what they were saying before they postponed, because they were saying back in March they'd rather postpone than play without fans because most of their money is gate receipts instead of TV money.

So the question is, does that logic still hold? Is it better to at least get a little bit of money, or is it better to get zero money and cancel the entire season? I have no idea what the bookkeepers say on that, but I have a feeling they'd rather at least get some TV money over having to cancel the entire thing.

Reactions: Kjbert
I also have 2 teen daughters very into musicals. Possible chance to score points:

This is a troupe out of CA that puts their original musicals online. They are both clever and campy. This one is like Broadway's Wicked meets Disney's Aladdin. One of my daughters has been pushing for us to watch all of their shows with her. This is the third one we've seen. She absolutely loves them. We enjoy the shows, and even more we enjoy her love of the shows.

Just saying, could be of interest to offer it up to her.

I also have 2 teen daughters very into musicals. Possible chance to score points:

This is a troupe out of CA that puts their original musicals online. They are both clever and campy. This one is like Broadway's Wicked meets Disney's Aladdin. One of my daughters has been pushing for us to watch all of their shows with her. This is the third one we've seen. She absolutely loves them. We enjoy the shows, and even more we enjoy her love of the shows.

Just saying, could be of interest to offer it up to her.
Thank you! This seems very much right up her alley. She is a fan both of Wicked and Disney musicals, and has the usual teen appreciation of things that mock or spoof other things. I would even guess she knows about this but it won't hurt for me to bring it up. Worst thing is she says "I know" to me 27 times today instead of 26. :D

Last edited:
Anyone thinking this could be a big boon for MLS teams if we end up coming out of quarantine in the summer?

I imagine by that point most world soccer would be out of season and with Euro 2020 cancelled people are going to want to watch some competitive games.

Here's to hoping.

Anyone thinking this could be a big boon for MLS teams if we end up coming out of quarantine in the summer?

I imagine by that point most world soccer would be out of season and with Euro 2020 cancelled people are going to want to watch some competitive games.

Here's to hoping.
Maybe? But I doubt it. We'll see what happens.

Here's to hoping.

they aint watching MLS.

also they arent playing games in NY state and possibly the neighboring states here for a long time. unless all the "home games" are in the training facility or even other state. since some states will be ok but others wont so its hard to do to see a good plan here.

also:

Reactions: Kjbert
The "individual workout" thing is a bit silly anyway, since anyone has been allowed to go out and exercise on his/her own from the beginning.

The "individual workout" thing is a bit silly anyway, since anyone has been allowed to go out and exercise on his/her own from the beginning.

Going for a jog is a lot different than the kind of working out professional players do, in all fairness.