David Villa....."d"

Dempsey played hard for about 10 minutes last night. Just shows good he is - also he just came to collect a paycheck. That's how bad our team is. Dempsey played hard for 10 minutes and scored one goal, while creating a second. The guy is fantastic. As a fan who paid a lot of money to be there last night, we should have seen 90 minutes of his hard work, but he in 10 minutes he did more than anyone on our squad did in 90.

Instead, it will be one of the Save of the Week candidates.
Ugh! Unfortunately

Best part about last nights game was the drunk lady dancing to the city beats post game performance.

But I agree I'd like to see Villa perform more like he did opening day. Well the whole team for that matter. At this point I feel like he's more to draw ticket sales than to perform

Reactions: Kjbert
Shame that Villa seems to have been much more badly injured than NYCFC ever let on. I'm sure we'd be in a completely different position in the table if he'd been fully fit.

Weirdly enough I ran into him in my office today - I think he was on his way to a TV interview. Asked him how he was feeling for Sunday, he seemed in good spirits. I'm betting on him to be a difference maker.

Trying to think of a guy who was played better than anticipated? Maybe Wingert as a CB? Possibly Hernandez too? Saunders has come back down to earth. Could make a case for Shelton and Alvarez as they were complete unknowns.

We're doomed to fail with Wingert at CB.

Why? I think he's been decent. Certainly replacement level, which, when you consider he was drafted from the Expansion Draft, that's what he is.

I think the hope is that in 5 years, you have a crop of guys like Mendoza who have been brought in from around the world. For now, Wingert is the best we have.

Shep is a douche.

Again, he's a douche. But he's not entirely wrong here.

I think it's lame to call Shep a douche. As mentioned, Shep was an American soccer celebrity before such a thing existed in the USA. His broadcasting career (albeit primarily Red Bull soccer on MSG) is based on making pretty wild statements and criticising RBNY players and coaching staff (and even the league) on numerous occasions. Sometimes he's off base, and often times he's on target, but not everybody can be Grant Wahl, especially on television. I remember when Shep and Steve Cangelosi were announcing Red Bulls games back when they played at Giants stadium and drew about 8k fans per game. 8k fans at Giants stadium is pretty depressing, but you wouldn't know it if you were listening to Shep and Steve announcing the games with the enthusiasm they displayed.

With regards to David Villa, it's way too early to grade him based on what we've seen so far. What is clear is that his production isn't too shabby so far, and when he came in during the Seattle game it gave the team, the offense, and the fans a huge lift. Thierry Henry also had a rough first season at RBNY, he battled a knee injury, missed a bunch of games and wasn't too productive. Same as David Beckham's first year at LA Galaxy. Both players became the leaders of their respective clubs and advanced the quality of soccer in the league that we all follow. My sense is that Villa will have the same impact on our club, but talk to me again in three years and we can have a more substantive discussion.

Reactions: Gotham Gator