David Villa To Nycfc?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Better translation (I'm a native Spanish speaker - and Atléti supporter, but that's neither here nor there)

According to the show 'The Game at 12', David Villa will play the next few seasons with New York City, the MLS team founded in 2013 by Manchester City and the New York Yankees. The Asturian, who is currently with the Spanish national team preparing for the World Cup in Brazil, played this past season with Atlético de Madrid, winning the league title and making the finals of the Champions' League.

Villa, the leading scorer for the national team, sought to keep playing with Atlético but the colossal offer from the North American team has convinced him to leave the team. Villa is currently making €5 million with Atlético.

The owners of this new team, the second in the city after the Cosmos, are building a new stadium and want to build a great team. They have also negotiated a potential contract with Xavi, who will discuss his future with [new Barcelona manager] Luis Enrique after the World Cup, with the intention of bringing him on the team.​

At first, since it was Tancredi saying it, I immediately discounted it, because Tancredi makes up a lot of stuff. A lot. But Cadena Cope is legit, so there may be something to it. As for his contract: he'll be available on a free transfer after the 2014/15 season, so any team can sign him then. But his contract has a release clause of some kind, so if City trigger that clause, they could potentially do a short-term loan for the fall, then bring him on in time for the season to begin in 2015.
Thanks for the insight. With David Villa in the fold it would make it easier to sway Xavi to come over. Would love to have both of them playing for NYCFC

With Ferran and Txiki, we may develop a nice connection with Barca.
Not directly. They both left Barca after a falling out with Sandro Rosell. Villa is possible because he's a former Barca player

I'm being greedy, but what are the possiblities of getting Mix, Xavi, and David Villa and not go for Demichelis

Not directly. They both left Barca after a falling out with Sandro Rosell. Villa is possible because he's a former Barca player

Ferran and Txiki belonged to the Laporta camp.. Rosell wanted his own people in charge.
But as Rosell is gone now, who knows?

DiMarzio has confirmed it. its pretty much done deal. hes the most reliable source out there. welcome to NYCFC David!

Gianluca DiMarzio has reported that Villa is signing. Seems like our dreams could come true.

http://gianlucadimarzio.com/en/calc...a-will-play-in-the-mls-with-new-york-city-fc/
I can't access that page, says website is offline, maybe all the NYCFC traffic.

Though I'm more of a follower of the franchise, supporting Chicago (don't kill me if the Blackhawks come back against the Kings and face the Rangers in the Cup), this still makes me very happy. Great for the league in general and the right way to start off a successful franchise in the largest market in the country (oh, and NYCFC is not an advertising campaign either, which is a plus).

Plus, as the quality of play increases with NYCFC and OCSC bringing in big-name internationals, that pressures teams across the board to invest more into top-quality players, so this could help teams like Chicago, Colorado, New England, etc. as well.

Even with Houston likely headed to the West, it may be very hard to make the playoffs in the East next year with Sporting Kansas City, Toronto FC, New York Red Bulls, New York City FC, a young New England Revolution and Orlando City SC.

How do you all feel about a 2 conference, 4 division set-up similar to what is currently used in the NHL? 12 teams per conference in a few years and 11 per conference starting next year is a large amount, and adding emphasis to regional rivalries could help spark more interest in the league.

That seems to be the plan in action. 4 divisions - 6 teams per division, but you still play everyone in the East twice and the West once for a total of 34 matches. Top three in each division make the playoffs - the bottom two in each division play a one-off for a spot in the conference semifinals. From there, it's a simple 1st vs. 2nd but crossover match. Therefore, half of the teams will have a chance to compete in the playoffs with 4 assured of a quarterfinal place.

Reactions: Section1Guy
I don't want to get anyone's hopes up but transfer news is always ripe immediately at the end of a season. Supposed journalists will say anything to get website hits. This stuff will be going on all summer long. Plus, this story has been around for the last couple of months, it's easy to cherry pick murmurings here and there and make another story out of it. Even "reliable" sources can be misleading.

That being said I would love to see him playing for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.