Depth Chart (aka Trying To Make Sense Of The World)

FootyLovin

No better obsession
Elite Donor
Donor
Seasoned Supporter
Feb 15, 2015
Sea Cliff NY
Seeing another inexplicable starting lineup, it got me wondering. How would we, the forum folk (aka the utterly obsessed) build the depth chart for NYCFC. I don't have much issue with our backline from the Dallas game, except insofar as a winger choice (69) necessitated a weaker defensive choice. So I think the backline question is less relevant than the winger and central questions. So here goes.

Question: How do you rank our central players? Regardless of formation you can play a maximum of 4 middle of the field players. Here are our options:
  • Villa
  • Mullins
  • Poku
  • Pirlo
  • Lampard
  • Mix
  • AJ
  • TMac
How should we rank them top to bottom? We see week in and week out how Kreis ranks them. Other forum folk, please rank them 1-8.

Next question: Who are our 2 best outsiders? (Other than a 4-3-3 or a 3 in the back formation, neither of which we play, you basically have 2 outside players you can put on the field.) Here are our options:
  • Grabavoy
  • 69 (assuming that playing him as a winger also comes with a necessary quality drop at LB by replacing him there with Wingert)
  • TMac
  • Mix
  • Shelton (now that he is off the injured list)
  • Calle
  • Ballouchy
  • Lampard
  • AJ
  • Velasquez
  • Poku
Again, forum folk, love to see your ranks.

Seeing another inexplicable starting lineup, it got me wondering. How would we, the forum folk (aka the utterly obsessed) build the depth chart for NYCFC. I don't have much issue with our backline from the Dallas game, except insofar as a winger choice (69) necessitated a weaker defensive choice. So I think the backline question is less relevant than the winger and central questions. So here goes.

Question: How do you rank our central players? Regardless of formation you can play a maximum of 4 middle of the field players. Here are our options:
  • Villa
  • Mullins
  • Poku
  • Pirlo
  • Lampard
  • Mix
  • AJ
  • TMac
How should we rank them top to bottom? We see week in and week out how Kreis ranks them. Other forum folk, please rank them 1-8.

Next question: Who are our 2 best outsiders? (Other than a 4-3-3 or a 3 in the back formation, neither of which we play, you basically have 2 outside players you can put on the field.) Here are our options:
  • Grabavoy
  • 69 (assuming that playing him as a winger also comes with a necessary quality drop at LB by replacing him there with Wingert)
  • TMac
  • Mix
  • Shelton (now that he is off the injured list)
  • Calle
  • Ballouchy
  • Lampard
  • AJ
  • Velasquez
  • Poku
Again, forum folk, love to see your ranks.
Well, the problem here is that if we had a Vincent Kompany at the back (and everywhere else, for that matter) this would be a whole different question. To me that missing defender is why our overstocked midfield and world-class striker aren't doing what they could. And also, I might divide this into front/middle/sides as Villa and Mullins might belong in a different segment than Mix, Lampard, and Pirlo. But never mind, I'll hand out some numbers.

Central players:
1. Villa
2. Poku
3. Lampard
4. Pirlo
5. Mix
6. Mullins
7. TMac
8. AJ

Outside players:
1. Shelton (now that he is off the injured list)
2. 69 (assuming that playing him as a winger also comes with a necessary quality drop at LB by replacing him there with Wingert)

I disagree with the premise of your post.

As we have emphatically proven the quality of an individual player is not nearly as accurate of a predictor of team success as team chemistry is.

I would comfortablely state that the highest skill, in terms of individual player performance, that nycfc can put out is not the team that is most likely to win games.