Discovery Rule

T

True Blue

David Villa signed with NYCFC, but he is on NYRB discovery list. Does that mean that NYCFC has to compensate the Red Bulls, and if so, what do we have to give them?

Interesting in that I just saw a thread about this on a RBNY fan site.

All these MLS rules can be somewhat confusing, but it looks to me that no compensation is due. It seems there is a rule that states when a player is put on a teams Discovery List, that team has to make a legitimate contract offer to that player or they lose his rights.

If I'm wrong on this, anyone can feel free to straighten me out. It seems legit to me, because it would stop teams from blocking other teams from signing players.

I think the team that has discovery rights own the right to first refusal. Compensation is not necessary. If NYCFC come in and offered Villa xDollars, RB can match and sign him.

I think RB fans are pissed because if it's true he was on the Discovery list (which is supposed to be confidential) they let him walk with no compensation and mostly not signing a terrific player.

Reactions: MagnusPax
It strikes that no one is actually sure how this rule works. No one is clear whether the team that puts the player on the discovery list gets first refusal, or some compensation or what exactly that means when the player goes to another team.

I really hope MLS sorts out this secrecy nonsense with the new CBA.

Here's a copy and paste from MLS website:

(E) DISCOVERY SIGNINGS
Clubs may make discovery claims on players not yet under MLS contract who are not subject to the allocation ranking or lottery mechanisms.

Each club has the opportunity to make six discovery signings per season (expansion teams may make 10 discovery signings in their inaugural season). A club may have up to 10 discovery claims on unsigned players at any time and may remove or add players at any time. The last day for discovery player signings is September 15, 2012 – coinciding with the roster freeze date and trade deadline.

The six discovery signings can be used to fill senior roster spots only. If multiple clubs claim the same player using a discovery, the club that filed the claim first will have first rights to the player. Discovery claims expire following each season. If the League and player are unable to reach an agreement during the season, the club that first filed the discovery retains the right of first refusal in the event the player is later signed by the League.

NOTE: To protect interests of MLS clubs in scouting and negotiations with prospective players, the League office will not publicize the names of players on club discovery lists, nor specify if a discovery claim has been filed on a particular player.

Here's a copy and paste from MLS website:

(E) DISCOVERY SIGNINGS
Clubs may make discovery claims on players not yet under MLS contract who are not subject to the allocation ranking or lottery mechanisms.

Each club has the opportunity to make six discovery signings per season (expansion teams may make 10 discovery signings in their inaugural season). A club may have up to 10 discovery claims on unsigned players at any time and may remove or add players at any time. The last day for discovery player signings is September 15, 2012 – coinciding with the roster freeze date and trade deadline.

The six discovery signings can be used to fill senior roster spots only. If multiple clubs claim the same player using a discovery, the club that filed the claim first will have first rights to the player. Discovery claims expire following each season. If the League and player are unable to reach an agreement during the season, the club that first filed the discovery retains the right of first refusal in the event the player is later signed by the League.

NOTE: To protect interests of MLS clubs in scouting and negotiations with prospective players, the League office will not publicize the names of players on club discovery lists, nor specify if a discovery claim has been filed on a particular player.
Maybe it's my youthful ignorance but how or why would DP's be under Discovery Signings. Couldn't an American club just claim Discovery on anyone just so someone else can't sign them...Like RBNY claiming Discovery rights (is that even the proper wording) on Lampard, Villa and other rumored players, just to keep City from taking them?

Maybe it's my youthful ignorance but how or why would DP's be under Discovery Signings. Couldn't an American club just claim Discovery on anyone just so someone else can't sign them...Like RBNY claiming Discovery rights (is that even the proper wording) on Lampard, Villa and other rumored players, just to keep City from taking them?

It's an ambiguous rule for sure and the only thing I can think of is that RB either thought that NYCFC wouldn't call their bluff and make him an offer, or they genuinely had a change of heart for whatever reason, and decided not to sign him.
Seeing as how RB have not even used their 3rd DP slot in a major market, I am not surprised by anything they do now.

There's 1 caveat to ALL MLS rules and its this:

MLS will do whatever the hell it wants if it feels like its for the overall good of the league.

We've come to learn of this caveat a few times in history. The first encounter was with the David Beckham signing and suddenly there's players exempt from the salary cap!

The most recent use of the caveat, I believe, was when Clint Dempsey came back and suddenly there's certain players not subject to the allocation rules. I remember this really pissed off a few clubs. They demanded to know why it was that Dempsey got an exception to the rules, MLS did an absolutely incredible job of dancing around the question.

It's an ambiguous rule for sure and the only thing I can think of is that RB either thought that NYCFC wouldn't call their bluff and make him an offer, or they genuinely had a change of heart for whatever reason, and decided not to sign him.
Seeing as how RB have not even used their 3rd DP slot in a major market, I am not surprised by anything they do now.
So the answer is, there is no answer!

No there is a rule, it isn't that complicated. Every MLS club can claim a "Discovery" on any player. But it is finite in time and they have to make an attempt to actually sign the player. In this case, NYRB wanted Villa, got on the list first, but like Slick said, NYCFC was willing to actually sign him. When MLS told RB that NYC was going to sign him for x $s, they gave RB a chance and they passed.

I am sure NYCFC has started placing discovery claims on players world wide as well and it will eventually factor into their signings.

Let's place a discovery claim on Messi or CR7 when they get a little older