Domènec Torrent Appointed NYCFC Head Coach (June '18) / Mutually Agree to Part Ways (November '19)

What Are Your Thoughts on Torrent as NYCFC Head Coach?

• Quite Really Pleased

Votes: 8 20.5%
  • Really Pleased

Votes: 13 33.3%
  • Pleased

Votes: 16 41.0%
  • Neither Pleased or Displeased

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Displeased

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Really Displeased

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Quite Really Displeased

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters
Reactions: adam
Hence my point that he knows why Berget didn't make the 18 but is asking the question in order to win clever points. But ultimately he knows, Dome knows and I suspect we all know deep down that Berget wouldn't have made a positive impact. And in the end I think that that matters more than likes and retweets.

But it's part of Araos's job to ask questions even when he thinks he knows the answer. Torrent should have patiently delivered the obvious explanation and I'm sure he knows that, but whatever, it's an emotional game. I can't think of a coach who hasn't had confrontational pressers after a hard loss.

The only subjectivity I seeis in the people ascribing some interior motivation with no evidence other than doing a reporter's job. For which there is zero evidence.
I actually don't know that much, detail by detail about what happened 5-6 years ago. But I know that he knows that Berget didn't make an impact in the first leg. So not quite zero evidence.

Screenshot_20181111-230825.png

But it's part of Araos's job to ask questions even when he thinks he knows the answer. Torrent should have given the obvious explanation patiently and I'm sure he knows that, but whatever, it's an emotional game. I can't think of a coach who hasn't had confrontational pressers after a hard loss.

Exactly. I don't mind him being confrontational. I do mind him cursing at the reporter. That's uncalled for and highly unprofessional.

But it's part of Araos's job to ask questions even when he thinks he knows the answer. Torrent should have given the obvious explanation patiently and I'm sure he knows that, but whatever, it's an emotional game. I can't think of a coach who hasn't had confrontational pressers after a hard loss.
Exactly! And for a coach in a game to only use a single sub, while having no other viable sparks on the bench, it was a 100% viable question to ask. Maybe if Dome had used three attacking subs it'd have been a bit more moot, but to fail to make two additional changes because the bench creation was mismanaged and lacking is setting up the softball for the guys asking questions.

That was awesome.

This a thousand times. Araos is the only person covering the team doing actual reporting. I can't believe people are blind to this because of some nonsense from 4-5 years ago.
Just for the historical forum record, Pigeonflaggate was in 2016. Patrick got heated with Araos at press conferences too.

The guy who managed against us today last managed a club team named Barcelona.

I guess you’re not looking for club ambition either.
I am, I'm just not getting my hopes up. They've been going cheap after Lampard and Pirlo.

What’s the last major move this club made? Hire Vieira? Pirlo?
Spent $4m on a transfer fee for a young South American. Yeah, that one hasn’t worked out as much as we hoped it would in this first season, but if you were to put that on anything it would be scouting and not “lack of ambition”.

I think I could only see an argument of maybe 7 MLS teams that are “more ambitious” than NYCFC. I don’t understand the need for hyperbole.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
Spent $4m on a transfer fee for a young South American. Yeah, that one hasn’t worked out as much as we hoped it would in this first season, but if you were to put that on anything it would be scouting and not “lack of ambition”.

I think I could only see an argument of maybe 7 MLS teams that are “more ambitious” than NYCFC. I don’t understand the need for hyperbole.

I don’t think spending $4 Million on probably the 4th or 5th best young South American purchase by MLS in an offseason is ambition. I think it’s keeping up with the Joneses.

Being #8 in ambition is midtable - that's miserly for a guy that pumped so much into MCFC that FFP was created.

OK, in case we're still wondering whether Dome said the curse word at Christian or not ...

At 31:30 of this video, he looks directly at Araos and says it.

So, there. Case closed. Completely unacceptable from Dome.
if it's on tape, that's termination with cause and NYCFC should do it - he's given them an easy out that they wouldn't have the chutzpah to do otherwise for his failures as manager, so take the opportunity to cut ties and find a real manager.

I don’t think spending $4 Million on probably the 4th or 5th best young South American purchase by MLS in an offseason is ambition. I think it’s keeping up with the Joneses.
Ok, that’s a bit different from 0 ambition.

Listen, I get it that Arthur Blank spends a shit ton of cash. I’m glad we still spend more cash than 20 other teams in MLS and I wish we could spend it smarter that leads to more success on the field. This club is definitely open to criticism for those moves and lack of moves that we want. But I don’t understand why we need to go into these ridiculous hyperboles.

if it's on tape, that's termination with cause and NYCFC should do it - he's given them an easy out that they wouldn't have the chutzpah to do otherwise for his failures as manager, so take the opportunity to cut ties and find a real manager.

Watch it for yourself. He looks away, PR cuts of the interview, he looks back and gestures directly at Araos. This isn't a Zapruder film, but it's clear as day what he was doing and what he was saying. He wasn't calling the game a disaster.