Domènec Torrent Appointed NYCFC Head Coach (June '18) / Mutually Agree to Part Ways (November '19)

What Are Your Thoughts on Torrent as NYCFC Head Coach?

• Quite Really Pleased

Votes: 8 20.5%
  • Really Pleased

Votes: 13 33.3%
  • Pleased

Votes: 16 41.0%
  • Neither Pleased or Displeased

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Displeased

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Really Displeased

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Quite Really Displeased

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters
He is questioning his decision making, only in a passive way. And that's if you believe that he doesn't know exactly why Berget isn't in the 18.

Someone HAS to ask that question. HAS to. That's a must-ask question in the postgame press conference. It's completely unfair to Araos but there's no one else in our press conferences who will ask it because they're all house organs. So it falls on Araos.

But be serious: That question absolutely has to be asked, and as mgarbowski mgarbowski said above, it's a staple of every postgame press conference in every sport.

Watch a Yankees press conference. "Why was this reliever brought in? Why not bunt in this spot? Why did you take out the starter in that spot?" are all questions that get asked after every single game. It's not asked in an accusatory way, but the coach has to be expected to explain himself.

If this coach isn't expecting to explain himself on simple stuff like roster construction, he's not the right man for the job and should go sit next to Guardiola for the rest of his career. As fans, we should expect the coach to explain himself, to explain his decisions. If this coach is unwilling to do that, then he's unwilling to be a head coach. It's an inexcusable response to curse at a reporter for asking the question Araos asked.

LOL even most European clubs can't afford these guys. And we don't even have a fucking stadium.

The guy who managed against us today last managed a club team named Barcelona.

I guess you’re not looking for club ambition either.

Reactions: adam
Can maybe one person in the room dispute what Araos reported before people reflexively assume Araos is wrong? Did anyone in the room the last time Araos and Torrent had a run in (last month as someone posted) dispute what Araos reported? Did Torrent? Did any other reporter? Did any player? Did Mark Booth, or that translator claim that what Araos said was counter to the facts? No. Nobody did that. But multiple people in this forum just know that Araos is full of crap based on some preconceived notion that Araos is anti-NYCFC.

Also, what has Dome done to deserve any benefit of the doubt? Has he shown himself to be responsible? Has he shown he has the players' trust? Has he ever shown any grace, or given cogent explanations of failure when the team lost?

Exactly. How anyone can call this baiting -- Christopher Jee Christopher Jee -- is beyond me. That's what sports reporters do. Why did this player start over that one. Why is that guy benched. Explain your substitutes. That's every post-game press conference ever.

Again, reporters are supposed to make the coach explain this stuff. IDGAF what Araos knows or thinks he knows. Fans want to hear, see and read the coach explain himself. To get that you ask questions. If Araos never asked Dome to explain his decision and wrote an article explaining Torrent's decision making process without any facts or input from the coach to back him up, people would rightfully call Araos out for just making stuff up. So he tries to do the job of a reporter and you're complaining that he doesn't just explain Torrent and accuse him of baiting and passive aggressive BS when he's just trying to get Torrent to explain himself. Bizarre.
Sorry if I wasn't clear.

I don't think Dome responded well to this.

I do think Araos is trying to stir things up. But that's subjective so I can agree to disagree.

I don't think this affects my position on Dome.

Atlanta just bought the best outfield player in today’s Libertadores final while our FO seems to have their monkeys up their asses looking for the best value. Maybe when you’re backed by a fucking terrorist state money ain’t a fucking object. SPEND BABY SPEND

I have no clue what Tata was paid. We do know that they’ve spent almost $50 Million in transfer fees.

That’s ambition. Our club seems to have none. I would
Be shocked if Dome was let go. CFG really doesn’t care.

I have no clue what Tata was paid. We do know that they’ve spent almost $50 Million in transfer fees.

Yes, Atlanta definitely has ambition. I’m failing to see how our club is at 0 on this scale.

CFG doesn’t care because we’re doing our job. People know who NYCFC are and therefore associate the UAE less with state funded terrorism and more for soccer. That’s why we exist nothing else. The best thing that can ever happen to the club is that Abromavich buys us for his son .

Reactions: adam and Kjbert
Ok. This is also fallacy ad hominem. I don't think this says anything about whether or not he can make us successful.
Except I never said this means he can't be successful.
I said he's an asshole. And this:
Fuck the numbers and analysis. He lost, he sucked the fun out of a promising season, and worse, became an embarrassment.
Absolutely fair opinion of his character. Maybe he can win. He's still a thin-skinned, embarrassing asshole.

Asking sensitive questions is a reporter's job. And taking a playoff-ending loss hard is part of a coach's job. Getting an explanation of why Berget was left out would have made for a dutiful quote in a boring gamer because we already know the answer—Araos himself retweeted that event map I posted of Berget's game one. But seeing a passionate side of Dome we don't get much of is a more interesting story.

See also:

Hence my point that he knows why Berget didn't make the 18 but is asking the question in order to win clever points. But ultimately he knows, Dome knows and I suspect we all know deep down that Berget wouldn't have made a positive impact. And in the end I think that that matters more than likes and retweets.

He's obviously assuming that by asking the question the reporter is questioning him, when that's not what it is -- the reporter is trying to get his explanation so he can accurately report it to the fans.

Dome is being an asshole here, but the NYCFC PR team needs to do a better job explaining to Dome the kind of questions he's going to get, and the fact that those questions are not accusatory, they're probing. This is not the first time Dome misinterpreted a similar question, and the PR staff is doing Dome a major disservice by not explaining to him that Christian isn't being accusatory.

Also good job following up that when Dome claims he picked the players who have scored the most goals, following up with why Castellanos (1 goal) over Berget (4 goals).

Hence my point that he knows why Berget didn't make the 18 but is asking the question in order to win clever points. But ultimately he knows, Dome knows and I suspect we all know deep down that Berget wouldn't have made a positive impact. And in the end I think that that matters more than likes and retweets.
Ehhh, come on man.

I’m no Araos fan, but you still ask those questions. You have to as a reporter. Assuming you know the answer already is not valid

But you still have to ask the question. Don't assume anything. Hell, maybe Berget was hiding an injury and that's why he was out. Or maybe Dome thought Berget wouldn't make an impact. The question has to be asked, even if you think you know the answer.

Except I never said this means he can't be successful.
I said he's an asshole. And this:

Absolutely fair opinion of his character. Maybe he can win. He's still a thin-skinned, embarrassing asshole.
True. I don't think that makes him an arsehole but again, that's subjective so agree to disagree.

I thought I saw you saying you don't want him to stay in the same paragraph, so I thought that you were using his character as an argument for why he should not stay:

Dome is a thin-skinned unprofessional putz. Fuck the numbers and analysis. He lost, he sucked the fun out of a promising season, and worse, became an embarrassment.
I want no part of him, but we're probably stuck with him.
If I got that wrong, my bad.

Also good job following up that when Dome claims he picked the players who have scored the most goals, following up with why Castellanos (1 goal) over Berget (4 goals).
That was awesome.
It's completely unfair to Araos but there's no one else in our press conferences who will ask it because they're all house organs. So it falls on Araos.
This a thousand times. Araos is the only person covering the team doing actual reporting. I can't believe people are blind to this because of some nonsense from 4-5 years ago.

Ehhh, come on man.

I’m no Araos fan, but you still ask those questions. You have to as a reporter. Assuming you know the answer already is not valid
That's fair. But I don't think that's why Araos asked. And you do. And that is subjective.

Reactions: Fake Jew
so I thought that you were using his character as an argument for why he should not stay:
Of course I am. But you said
This is also fallacy ad hominem. I don't think this says anything about whether or not he can make us successful.
These are 2 substantially different things:
1. He's an asshole and therefore can't win so I don't want him.
2. He's an asshole. I don't want him.

Of course I am. But you said

These are 2 substantially different things:
1. He's an asshole and therefore can't win so I don't want him.
2. He's an asshole. I don't want him.
That's fair. I don't think this makes him an arsehole so we disagree upon the premise. He lost his temper but that doesn't mean he is dead to me. Otherwise, I can empathize with 2).