Domènec Torrent Appointed NYCFC Head Coach (June '18) / Mutually Agree to Part Ways (November '19)

What Are Your Thoughts on Torrent as NYCFC Head Coach?

• Quite Really Pleased

Votes: 8 20.5%
  • Really Pleased

Votes: 13 33.3%
  • Pleased

Votes: 16 41.0%
  • Neither Pleased or Displeased

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Displeased

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Really Displeased

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Quite Really Displeased

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters
Might be the most real, unfiltered quotes we've ever gotten regarding this team in its 5 years of existence. Felt like I was reading an insider's book about what really happened behind the scenes.
If he really wanted to unleash, he should have told the Mix saga per pilfered club archives.

Reactions: Kjbert
Really nothing new in that article if you've been following this thread and the media thread. it's all been talked about and mentioned.

I'll say it again though... #DomeStay.

New coaches are part of sports, but Dome has finally settled in and we are successful and have a style and identity. I don't want that torn to shreds and have to go through all those growing pains again for someone who may or may not succeed like Dome. Sure, GvB was successful in the netherlands, but success elsewhere doesn't always translate to MLS whether it be coach or player. Dome has shown success. Players like him. Supporters like him. CFG needs to get their shit together.

Really nothing new in that article if you've been following this thread and the media thread. it's all been talked about and mentioned.

New coaches are part of sports, but Dome has finally settled in and we are successful and have a style and identity. I don't want that torn to shreds and have to go through all those growing pains again for someone who may or may not succeed like Dome. Sure, GvB was successful in the netherlands, but success elsewhere doesn't always translate to MLS whether it be coach or player. Dome has shown success. Players like him. Supporters like him. CFG needs to get their shit together.
It’s nothing that hasn’t already been said via other rumor mills, but not sure the energy and trust between the two parties can be salvaged after an airing of grievances like this. CFG is militant with its stranglehold on dissent to the media. Would think Dome knowingly crossed a bridge that crumbled behind him and was fine having done so.

I’m really getting tired of CFG & how they operate. Can Dome be Villa’s first coach at Boro?

It’s nothing that hasn’t already been said via other rumor mills, but not sure the energy and trust between the two parties can be salvaged after an airing of grievances like this. CFG is militant with its stranglehold on dissent to the media. Would think Dome knowingly crossed a bridge that crumbled behind him and was fine having done so.

I would imagine you're correct. Sadly. I'm with Joe... I'll miss Dome. Maybe I can catch up at a jazz bar before he heads back to Europe.

I’m really getting tired of CFG & how they operate. Can Dome be Villa’s first coach at Boro?

Doubtful if the rumors(?) of him not getting along with Villa are true.

Reactions: Kjbert and adam
I was struck by how much he was bothered and threatened by the goal.com article. He says he understood why CFG wooed GVB in the spring, but was annoyed they brought him back in the fall when NYCFC was doing well. But the goal.com article has CFG saying they're looking at Bronckhorst for years down the road and there's no reason not to believe that (unless he knows something that he did not express). That's how CFG does things. They plan ahead and groom people for the future. I'm surprised he doesn't understand this, and I still suspect he doesn't understand MLS roster spending limits properly (but I won't argue that again). So I want him to stay, but on the issues he raises here I'm really not on his side, and I never take CFG's side, so whatever? But yes, he might have burned his bridges here too as Ulrich Ulrich says and he can't come back. Just ugh all around. Kind of disfunctional and exactly what CFG hates. I had thought that even if he left he would do so in good graces and on mutual terms but now not so sure.

I was struck by how much he was bothered and threatened by the goal.com article. He says he understood why CFG wooed GVB in the spring, but was annoyed they brought him back in the fall when NYCFC was doing well. But the goal.com article has CFG saying they're looking at Bronckhorst for years down the road and there's no reason not to believe that (unless he knows something that he did not express). That's how CFG does things. They plan ahead and groom people for the future. I'm surprised he doesn't understand this, and I still suspect he doesn't understand MLS roster spending limits properly (but I won't argue that again). So I want him to stay, but on the issues he raises here I'm really not on his side, and I never take CFG's side, so whatever? But yes, he might have burned his bridges here too as Ulrich Ulrich says and he can't come back. Just ugh all around. Kind of disfunctional and exactly what CFG hates. I had thought that even if he left he would do so in good graces and on mutual terms but now not so sure.

I'll be the first to admit I don't exactly understand all of the MLS rules on roster spending, but it doesn't seem like we are top 5 spending in the league. For a supposedly, marquee club and an owner with deep pockets, that's not really acceptable.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
This has an FU on the way out feel. This really sucks.

I'll be the first to admit I don't exactly understand all of the MLS rules on roster spending, but it doesn't seem like we are top 5 spending in the league. For a supposedly, marquee club and an owner with deep pockets, that's not really acceptable.

The transfer fee we paid for Mitrita was more than some times spent on salary this season, no?

Reactions: Gotham Gator
This all comes down to ambition. I think Dome is making the wrong argument here.

No stadium shows a lack of ambition. Having your games on tape delay shows a lack of ambition. Not moving on from Medina shows a lack of ambition.

But we’ve also spent about $20 million on transfer fees the last 3 years. That’s what? Top 3 in the league?

And when it comes to salary figures, would you rather pay Jozy and Michael Bradley $12 million a year or Mitrita and Heber a combined $1 million a year on top of the $11 million in transfer fees?

Part of the issue rests with the MLS salary cap system. Dome needs to direct more ire here to MLS in general like the other Europeans do

This all comes down to ambition. I think Dome is making the wrong argument here.

No stadium shows a lack of ambition. Having your games on tape delay shows a lack of ambition. Not moving on from Medina shows a lack of ambition.

But we’ve also spent about $20 million on transfer fees the last 3 years. That’s what? Top 3 in the league?

And when it comes to salary figures, would you rather pay Jozy and Michael Bradley $12 million a year or Mitrita and Heber a combined $1 million a year on top of the $11 million in transfer fees?

Part of the issue rests with the MLS salary cap system. Dome needs to direct more ire here to MLS in general like the other Europeans do
Why would MLS be the culprit when every team is bound by the same rules? The difference between the teams is how they adapt to the rules and NYCFC has made a conscious decision on how they plan to do it, and that’s what Dome disagrees with. Just about every fan also finds the team’s spending plan curious at best and malpractice at worst.

Reactions: moogoo
The transfer fee we paid for Mitrita was more than some times spent on salary this season, no?

If i recall correctly (too lazy to look it up), Mitri's transfer fee was 8 or 9 million. Heber was 3 million.

But that's transfer fees. One time cost and hopefully the player lives up to the hype. There's always risk in bringing a player in cause they can be awesome or they can flop (Medina). All indications were there from last year, that Medina had a lot of potential. THat's why they kept him around another year. I fully expect them to find a way to free up his DP spot this winter.

Jozy went to TFC for a good deal cause he was a part of a striker swap. Bradley cost $10 mill in transfer fees PLUS a pretty huge salary of 6.5 million. Our highest paid player is now Maxi at 2 mill.

Afaik, transfer fees are covered by the club and aren't regulated by MLS rules (i.e., MLS doesn't limit the amount the transfer fee can be). I think allocation money CAN be used toward the fee, but doesn't have to be. In any case, when it comes to transfer fees and DP salary, it is up to the club. We don't have a lot of players making a lot of money. As I have said before, more money doesn't always mean better players. We have a successful team with arguably 12th place spending. I'm perfectly ok with that. But I refuse to agree with anybody who will say a gamechanger type player wouldn't help us win more and win a championship and gamechangers cost a whole lot more than maximum TAM money.

This is NYC - we need a superstar gamechanger. We aren't fucking NJ.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ulrich
Why would MLS be the culprit when every team is bound by the same rules? The difference between the teams is how they adapt to the rules and NYCFC has made a conscious decision on how they plan to do it, and that’s what Dome disagrees with. Just about every fan also finds the team’s spending plan curious at best and malpractice at worst.

exactly. everyone is playing by the same rules. Some teams are willing to spend, while NYCFC doesn't seem willing to. we've got 3 homegrowns on our roster. While I think that's fantastic and Sands has proven to be great, I don't want to turn into an FC Dallas or NJRB using academy/usl players.

Reactions: Ulrich
Even then, Mitri is #5: https://www.transfermarkt.us/major-...ion_id=alle&altersklasse=&leihe=&w_s=&zuab=zu

None of our players in the top 10: https://www.thebluetestament.com/20...ague-soccer-salaries-millionaires-sporting-kc

Second in all of MLS in terms of points per dollars spent... To the Union: https://t.co/3GAQmlkKfA?amp=1

Bottom line - "more than some" isn't good enough when you are NYC and it's not good enough when you spent 13 years (or so, that's one thing I don't care to look up rn) coaching at the highest level.

I wonder if GVB would even want to come here. He’s also been thrown around for The Southampton Job. Based on what Dome thinks about the league and about CFG why would a coach want to undertake all of that.
Could be that much of it is normal and this is his first time experiencing it. Also his first time not coaching at one of the top clubs in the world where his head manager is handed a blank check.

Afaik, transfer fees are covered by the club and aren't regulated by MLS rules (i.e., MLS doesn't limit the amount the transfer fee can be).
Completely wrong. There is about 1,000 pages of discussion just in this forum discussing how transfer fees are allocated to fit within MLS rules, including GAM and TAM. Every MLS player with a transfer fee of Multi million dollars is a DP -- regardless of salary -- because you can't fit it within the salary structure otherwise. Just look at Mitrita: his $500k salary would not even require GAM or TAM as the maximum budget charge is $530k. He is a DP solely because of his transfer fee. And I'm even more convinced that Dome probably doesn't understand MLS roster rules because it's clear that people can have strong opinions while not realizing they don't know the basics. If you spent 5 minutes looking at the MLS roster rules you would see there are provisions on using GAM or TAM to reduce acquisition fees as a component of the player's Salary Budget Charge.

But I refuse to agree with anybody who will say a gamechanger type player wouldn't help us win more and win a championship and gamechangers cost a whole lot more than maximum TAM money.
Like David Villa or Zlatan or Carlos Vela.

Second in all of MLS in terms of points per dollars spent... To the Union: https://t.co/3GAQmlkKfA?amp=1
This is a positive not a negative. Also, given that NYCFC was second in total actual points, being second on this list is basically average. Imagine if we were still second in total points but only 17th in terms of points per dollar. That would be better? Worse? The same?

I can't believe the people who are falling for Dome's self-serving whine. And I can't believe I'm the one defending the club and by implication ownership on its commitment to winning. The world is upside-down.

Last edited:
Completely wrong. There is about 1,000 pages of discussion just in this forum discussing how transfer fees are allocated to fit within MLS rules, including GAM and TAM. Every MLS player with a transfer fee of is a DP -- regardless of salary -- because you can't fit it within the salary structure otherwise. Just look at Mitrita: his $500k salary would not even require GAM or TAM as the maximum budget charge is $530k. He is a DP solely because of his transfer fee. And I'm even more convinced that Dome probably doesn't understand MLS roster rules because it's clear that people can have strong opinions while not realizing they don't know the basics. If you spent 5 minutes looking at the MLS roster rules you would see there are provisions on using GAM or TAM to reduce acquisition fees as a component of the player's Salary Budget Charge.

Like David Villa or Zlatan or Carlos Vela.

This is a positive not a negative. Also, given that NYCFC was second in total actual points, being second on this list is basically average. Imagine if we were still second in total points but only 17th in terms of points per dollar. That would be better? Worse? The same?

I can't the people who are falling for Dome's self-serving whine. And I can't believe I'm the one defending the club and by implication ownership on its commitment to winning. The world is upside-down.
I do also find it odd that we are back to critiquing how "little" the club is spending. Especially after this last season. Sure, we flamed out against TFC, but the roster was obviously well built to finish 1st in the East and set several club records.

Furthermore, I'm pretty certain we had just about maxed out the cap space this last year, save for a little leftover discretionary TAM and some GAM, which can be used next season.