Eric Gomez Of Fox Deportes Says Puyol To Nycfc Done Deal

Im not sure if I believe this 100%. I just don't think an almost 40 year old fits Kreis' system....

If this was true, I am not sure if this would be the best fit for a brand new club.

The benefits of a player like Puyol is his experience, character, leadership and ability to build play from the back as a technically gifted defender. However if a new club is seeking leadership the DP's should be playing every single game for all 90 minutes of the regular season.

Puyol only played 5 games last season due to injuries and he reportedly decided to retire from Barcelona for the same reason. I doubt that he could keep up with the physicality of the league with his medical history. If we are paying big bucks we should see the money on the pitch.

This move reminds me of Redbull's DP Marquez from Barca that was a bust for the team. Maybe Puyol would be good for publicity and training ground leadership? Hopefully this is a tactfully placed rumor to generate buzz for NYCFC. :D\

The only way I see this happening is due to the fact that Puyol has ties to the MCFC Directors/Board.

Reactions: NYCBlue and DiRoma
If this was true, I am not sure if this would be the best fit for a brand new club.

The benefits of a player like Puyol is his experience, character, leadership and ability to build play from the back as a technically gifted defender. However if a new club is seeking leadership the DP's should be playing every single game for all 90 minutes of the regular season.

Puyol only played 5 games last season due to injuries and he reportedly decided to retire from Barcelona for the same reason. I doubt that he could keep up with the physicality of the league with his medical history. If we are paying big bucks we should see the money on the pitch.

This move reminds me of Redbull's DP Marquez from Barca that was a bust for the team. Maybe Puyol would be good for publicity and training ground leadership? Hopefully this is a tactfully placed rumor to generate buzz for NYCFC. :D\

The only way I see this happening is due to the fact that Puyol has ties to the MCFC Directors/Board.
I wouldn't mind seeing him as like an assistant coach or something but as a player, no thanks.....

Yeah like I said on Twitter it would he a big risk playing wise. He would be valuable as a leader and mentor to younger players and it would make headlines.

Reactions: Kinkladze
I don't want to use a DP slot on him and I'm not sure he'd play in too many games. He's been hurt on and off for the better part of these last 5 years.

Reactions: NYCBlue
If the MLS has proven anything it is that we can produce very good defenders and defensive players. But MLS hasn't just proven that, it's also proven that we struggle to produce attacking, namely creative players.

Why use a DP slot on a 36-year-old injury ridden defender?

Leadership and experience aren't overrated attributes, but we can get a player with more left in the tank that brings those things to the table.

And from a marketing standpoint, I'm sure there are more recognizable names that Carles Puyol and that is not at all meant to be disrespectful to him. He is known worldwide, but in the grand scheme of things I think there are better choices.

that is a bit disappointing if true, agree the rest of the comments, could do better on a DP.

done deal in what regard? Are you sure its not in coaching capacity? Everything on twitter indicates that he is has accounced his retirement

If the MLS has proven anything it is that we can produce very good defenders and defensive players. But MLS hasn't just proven that, it's also proven that we struggle to produce attacking, namely creative players.

Why use a DP slot on a 36-year-old injury ridden defender?

Leadership and experience aren't overrated attributes, but we can get a player with more left in the tank that brings those things to the table.

And from a marketing standpoint, I'm sure there are more recognizable names that Carles Puyol and that is not at all meant to be disrespectful to him. He is known worldwide, but in the grand scheme of things I think there are better choices.

I agree with everything that you are saying but it looks like we are going to build the team from the back. Most good defenders available in the MLS are going to be protected for the draft and it will be hard to get our hands on good defenders in the first season. We won't be able to grow a young defender in time either.

Everything points to using our DP slots on the defensive third of the pitch as posted by NYCFC

.@CReynaNYCFC: "Right now we are focused on GK, 2 CBs, and a CM. Then we move ahead and plug players in all the way up to the FWDs."

https://twitter.com/NYCFC/status/462030073869381632

I agree with everything that you are saying but it looks like we are going to build the team from the back. Most good defenders available in the MLS are going to be protected for the draft and it will be hard to get our hands on good defenders in the first season. We won't be able to grow a young defender in time either.

Everything points to using our DP slots on the defensive third of the pitch as posted by NYCFC

.@CReynaNYCFC: "Right now we are focused on GK, 2 CBs, and a CM. Then we move ahead and plug players in all the way up to the FWDs."

starting from the back doesnt mean using all DP's in the back

You make a fair point, but even so I'd rather use a DP slot on a younger defender, and by that I mean not over 32-33 years old. I just don't think Puyol will be able to deal with the pace of the MLS.

You make a fair point, but even so I'd rather use a DP slot on a younger defender, and by that I mean not over 32-33 years old. I just don't think Puyol will be able to deal with the pace of the MLS.

Totally agree as mentioned in my first post. I guess it's difficult to find a younger good defender that hasn't been taken up by another club already. I feel like they are already in demand for MLS.

MLS has been making a serious attempt to end it's stereotype as a "retirement league" for euro players to get that last paycheck. They have made a conscious effort to bring in name players that not only have marketing potential, but can still hack it in top leagues for a couple more years.
This signing would set that effort back. Unless he is brought in as an assistant who can maybe play for the first season to help develop the young players, I am against this signing completely.
On another note, would he command enough salary to be considered a DP?

He's gonna need a wheelchair
If it's one of these bad boys we may be able to use it to our advantage!
heroes_wheelchair3.jpg

Reactions: BxLio91
I wonder if they call Puyol "caveman" because that's how he looks, or because he's from the stone age... :rolleyes:

Just going to re-cast the same opinion as others: his signing as a DP would be nothing short of another disappointment. I'd call it a misstep equal to or worse than the stadium situation.

I hope we don't waste valuable roster/cap space on him. The team really needs to strive to carry the MLS banner globally. Signing Puyol as a DP could only be described as a league wide embarrassment.

LET'S DEMAND BETTER FROM JUMP STREET. Tell your ticket rep you'll cancel if they do it. It's basically our only means of protest.

Reactions: einwindir