Espn Going All In On The Hudson River Derby

franchise646

Registered
Oct 31, 2014

NYC FC-NY Red Bulls Match Production:

• 30-minute pregame show with Healey, Twellman and Williams focusing on the budding NYC FC/NYRB rivalry;
  • A camera will be embedded with the supporter groups of each club – NYC FC’s Third Rail and NYRB’s Empire Sport Club and Viking Army – leading-up to the match to capture pregame festivities, transportation to the Bronx, and the march to Yankee Stadium. Footage will be featured in pre-match segments and highlighted throughout the telecast;
  • Mike Petke, former New York Red Bulls head coach and player, will be a guest at halftime;
  • ESPN FC Boot Room Extra – Live, digital post-match program with Healey, Twellman and Petke on ESPN3 immediately following the match.
SportsCenter:

• On Friday, June 26, the 3 p.m. ET edition of SportsCenter on ESPNEWS will feature a live, in-studio interview with New York City FC midfielder and U.S. National Team player Mix Diskerud;
  • Preview segments with Twellman on Sunday morning SportsCenter editions (ESPN, 10 a.m.);
  • Post-match highlights and commentary from Yankee Stadium on Sunday night shows
ESPN FC on TV:

• Diskerud will be a guest on ESPNEWS, Friday, June 26, at 11 p.m. (re-airs on ESPN2, 1 a.m.);
  • Preview segments and guest (TBD) interview on Saturday, June 27 (ESPN2, 11 p.m.);
  • Extended post-match coverage Sunday (ESPN2, 12 a.m.) with commentary from the match site by Healey and Twellman, as well as fan-generated content captured during the match.
ESPNFC.com:

• The digital soccer news and information hub will feature a primer on each matchup of MLS Rivalry Weekend;
  • David Hirshey essay about the big NY-NY match from the New York City FC point-of-view;
  • “Insider” video segments leading-up to the NYC FC/NYRB match including game-day coverage from Yankee Stadium (analysis, interviews and more).
Seven MLS Matches Moved to ESPN

Beginning this week with MLS Rivalry Weekend, seven Major League Soccer matches initially scheduled for ESPN2 will now air on ESPN. In addition to the network change, two of the seven match windows – both during MLS Heineken Rivalry Weeks – have been expanded to include 30-minute pre-game shows (June 28 and August 30). The start times for two matches (July 12 and August 23) have been moved to 3 p.m. MLS matches now scheduled for ESPN:

Date Time (ET) Match Platform(s)
Sun, Jun 28
4:30 p.m. MLS Sunday Pre-game Show – #RivalryWeek ESPN
5 p.m. New York City FC vs. New York Red Bulls ESPN, ESPN Deportes, ESPN Deportes Radio***
Sun, Jul 12 3 p.m. New York City FC vs. Toronto FC ESPN, ESPN Deportes
Sun, Aug 23 3 p.m. Los Angeles Galaxy vs. New York City FC ESPN, ESPN Deportes
Sun, Aug 30 4:30 p.m. MLS Sunday Pre-game Show – #RivalryWeek ESPN
5 p.m. Seattle Sounders vs. Portland Timbers ESPN, ESPN Deportes
Sun, Sep 20 5 p.m. Portland Timbers vs. New York red Bulls ESPN, ESPN Deportes
Sun, Sep 27 5 p.m. Sporting Kansas City vs. Seattle Sounders ESPN, ESPN Deportes
Sun, Oct 18 5 p.m. TBD – MLS Flex Schedule ESPN, ESPN Deportes

Anyone see a pattern.

Date Time (ET) Match Platform(s)
Sun, Jun 28
4:30 p.m. MLS Sunday Pre-game Show – #RivalryWeek ESPN
5 p.m. New York City FC vs. New York Red Bulls ESPN, ESPN Deportes, ESPN Deportes Radio***
Sun, Jul 12 3 p.m. New York City FC vs. Toronto FC ESPN, ESPN Deportes
Sun, Aug 23 3 p.m. Los Angeles Galaxy vs. New York City FC ESPN, ESPN Deportes
Sun, Aug 30 4:30 p.m. MLS Sunday Pre-game Show – #RivalryWeek ESPN
5 p.m. Seattle Sounders vs. Portland Timbers ESPN, ESPN Deportes
Sun, Sep 20 5 p.m. Portland Timbers vs. New York red Bulls ESPN, ESPN Deportes
Sun, Sep 27 5 p.m. Sporting Kansas City vs. Seattle Sounders ESPN, ESPN Deportes
Sun, Oct 18 5 p.m. TBD – MLS Flex Schedule ESPN, ESPN Deportes

This is big for the league. Also nice for us, because we play in at least three of them.

This is awesome for us and the league. I'm really excited to see all of the SportsCenter coverage in addition to the game.

Reactions: SayWhat44
transportation to the bronx? march to stadium? so they only gonna go after footage of the RB supporters only?

Reactions: Kjbert
This is really fantastic. This has gotta be the second most hyped MLS game in history. Only behind Beckham's first match.

Notice how it wasn't as hyped up in May - probably because it was not in New York. Can't sell a NY Derby that isn't in New York. But it is a good thing it wasn't hyped up in May because our team wasn't ready for coverage.

Although, I wonder if we were not playing better if ESPN would be all in.

transportation to the bronx? march to stadium? so they only gonna go after footage of the RB supporters only?

Yeah, NYCFC should have it focused on them on this one, yeah that's great that RB are doing a march to the stadium but guess who's going to have a majority of the fans at Yankee Stadium? That's right the real NY team. It would be great to own this rivalry and I think we can start this Sunday.

I love that they are playing up rivalry weeks. It's a big promotional effort that they do for other sports, and it helps focus national attention across the league. Hopefully, it won't be long before these feature multiple games across the ESPN lineup.

Not that it matters too much in the scheme of things, but you have to think this will be the highest rated MLS game this season, maybe outside of the opener

Reactions: Kjbert
This is a huge step in the right direction for this league. I think the atmosphere is going to be through the roof and the fact they are dedicating so much coverage leading into the game is tremendous. I almost wish I was going to be home to watch it all.

This is a huge step in the right direction for this league. I think the atmosphere is going to be through the roof and the fact they are dedicating so much coverage leading into the game is tremendous. I almost wish I was going to be home to watch it all.
Definitely one to DVR. I don't have DVR at home, but I'll definitely be hitting this up on WatchESPN afterwards.