European Super League

So, I was confused about how Barcelona, in particular, were able to make this commitment without a vote of the socios, and my cursory psudo-research turned up the following;

Apparently the club statutes don't mention what competition(s) the club plays in. So Laporta can sign up unilaterally, but a council can be called to vote whether or not to back out by simple majority decision. That said, If Barca really is contractually committed to the ESL (as Perez would have us believe), then presumably such a vote would breach the contract and the usual legal and financial troubles would follow.

I'm not sure if Madrid is in a similar situation, though perusing their subreddit makes it seem like many socios, at least, are in favor of a Super League. Same with Barcelona. But obviously it's hard to tell. Both clubs are in enormous debt, which is a big factor.

ETA: Laporta may have said it won't happen without socio approval.

Last edited:
Reactions: mgarbowski
So it's looking like UEFA may have found an investment team willing to go toe to toe with JP Morgan, and they're possibly going to try to satisfy the Big Clubs' need for an immediate capital injection (which is what a lot of this is about).

I wonder if some of the ESL teams would rather take their money from UEFA('s backers) and tamp down the fan outrage than take their money from ESL/JPM.

If so, this may likely happen over and over, with various capital consortiums offering up blocks of money via various footballing entities.

so the ESL threat is working? they will get the money they claim they need. Though it will be interesting to see if they change the UCL format. The one UEFA presented yesterday kinda sucks as it results in more fixture congestion.

so the ESL threat is working? they will get the money they claim they need. Though it will be interesting to see if they change the UCL format. The one UEFA presented yesterday kinda sucks as it results in more fixture congestion.
UEFA has already announced the UCL format changes to take effect in 2024, all of which were put in place to mollify the Big Clubs anyway. If it's true that they're trying to raise capital to hand out as, well, bribes, effectively, to the Big Clubs then the only thing the ESL clubs won't have by remaining in the UEFA fold is a closed shop.

I think the closed shop is critically important to them, though, because the whole idea is guaranteed revenue. I don't know if UEFA could even consider capitulating on the closed shop model, especially after this week's events.

Reactions: mgarbowski
UEFA has already announced the UCL format changes to take effect in 2024, all of which were put in place to mollify the Big Clubs anyway. If it's true that they're trying to raise capital to hand out as, well, bribes, effectively, to the Big Clubs then the only thing the ESL clubs won't have by remaining in the UEFA fold is a closed shop.

I think the closed shop is critically important to them, though, because the whole idea is guaranteed revenue. I don't know if UEFA could even consider capitulating on the closed shop model, especially after this week's events.

Based on what florentino said in his interview ( which was like 90 minutes long) its guaranteed spots every year for the founding members and have 5 (or 7 i guess if they dont get the founding 15 teams) spots open for others. He gave an example that for example the winner of the UEFA champions league can qualify to this superleague. He kept mentioning he is open to UEFA and them sitting down to negotiate and discuss since he felt the new format was "bad" for them and the sport and that the reform must happen now.

Another point he kept going back to was that the new generations ( aged 15-24 ) are no longer big fans of the game and how if they don't attract those fans then financially the sport will suffer in the future. this is why these type of superleague games is something he feels is needed to try and get them hooked on the sport ( basically saying ain't nobody wants to see a Real Madrid vs Bate Borisov for example).

well see what happens though, biggest drama i remember seeing in the sport ever

So it's looking like UEFA may have found an investment team willing to go toe to toe with JP Morgan, and they're possibly going to try to satisfy the Big Clubs' need for an immediate capital injection (which is what a lot of this is about).

I wonder if some of the ESL teams would rather take their money from UEFA('s backers) and tamp down the fan outrage than take their money from ESL/JPM.

If so, this may likely happen over and over, with various capital consortiums offering up blocks of money via various footballing entities.
Not neccessary anymmore because the teams are starting to pull out hah.

However, it looks like it's backfiring beacuse the UK house of parliament is still going through with their independent review of the situation and this will likely end with a change in how the teams in england are run

Reactions: Schwallacus
Man City long and detailed statement on the matter:

Reactions: danger and JayH