European Super League

Yeah I can't imagine players like Phil Foden, Chrisian Pulisic, Mo Salah etc. not wanting to represent their countries. I would imagine they'd be willing to take a pay cut to leave in order to get that opportunity.

The owners are looking so cliché here. So out of touch with reality.

well see how it plays out because i do think at there may be a few names that will sacrifice the WC to not get a paycut.

I'm honestly not sure what would be worse between these teams being kicked out of domestic competition all together or the Euroleague basketball format where they field weakened teams in their national leagues?

depends on the league, i loosely follow euro basketball. The big teams still dominate their domestic leagues and cups. If anything it may further weaken the already mid table to weak teams in the league but the big teams tend to not have much issue.

giphy.gif

Reactions: GratefulDawg
Yeah I can't imagine players like Phil Foden, Chrisian Pulisic, Mo Salah etc. not wanting to represent their countries. I would imagine they'd be willing to take a pay cut to leave in order to get that opportunity.

The owners are looking so cliché here. So out of touch with reality.
How much of a paycut would those players be willing to take though?

I saw this earlier and I think it about sums it up:

Maybe Pulisic in this example would be willing to lose 40% of his income in order to play in the World Cup, maybe not. I think there would be many players who wouldn't make that great of a financial sacrifice. I couldn't blame them if they decided to side on the larger salary.

Reactions: mgarbowski

Maybe Pulisic in this example would be willing to lose 40% of his income in order to play in the World Cup, maybe not. I think there would be many players who wouldn't make that great of a financial sacrifice. I couldn't blame them if they decided to side on the larger salary.

Some players might do it for the stance of 'no super league', and then others will be super excited to get shit-tons of money and play less games. We'll find out who it is soon enough

I don't know. I would imagine the younger guys would want to jump ship but the elder statesmen would stay.

FYI.
Pulisic currently makes 4 million on endorsement deals.

another thing to keep in mind is transfer fees. these players are not going away for free. Some are probably in contracts still valid for a few more years.

Reactions: moogoo
I think players young and old would jump ship if their passion is with the sport and not about making the most money possible. Playing in the world cup is the grandest of all stages. Personally, if I were a player, I would not give up that opportunity and would happily take a paycut to ensure I could still play.

It's not like i'd be getting paid peanuts. It's still millions of dollars. I'm still playing the sport I love and have a chance to play in the WC, which should be any soccer player's dream/end goal.

Reactions: QuigrNYCFC
Damn. UEFA don’t play.
another thing to keep in mind is transfer fees. these players are not going away for free. Some are probably in contracts still valid for a few more years.
The more I think about it, the more I expect that standard contracts have clauses that require clubs to maintain membership in their domestic leagues, be in good standing with UEFA, and do nothing to hamper a player's ability to participate in international competition. It just makes too much sense and I bet the governing bodies insist on it. IF so, then the player's have an out, if they want it. But apart from the logic, I confess I have no actual knowledge of this, and this would not be the first time reality and my sense of logic were in conflict.

Reactions: Schwallacus
mgarbowski mgarbowski , you are certainly not alone in thinking that less lopsided leagues will be more interesting to fans. The EPL is the least topheavy and the most popular. I think it is possible to have too much parity - MLS demonstrates that. A league needs superstar teams, but it also needs all the other teams to have a fighting chance at the title, and that doesn't now exist in Europe - aside from the EPL once in a blue moon.

It will be interesting to see if/how this rolls out. The ESL isn't scheduled to launch for another 17 months. If the defecting clubs are kicked out of their domestic leagues, they won't have real competition for a long while. Presumably, they'd invent something to fill the gap, but will that bring the same revenue? Could the clubs pay their players? Do they loan them out? If you are Pulisic, do you take a year off of real competition to play in the ESL? or do you force a move to a team actually playing games? Will Bayern, Dortmund and PSG suddenly have their pick of players?

mgarbowski mgarbowski , you are certainly not alone in thinking that less lopsided leagues will be more interesting to fans. The EPL is the least topheavy and the most popular. I think it is possible to have too much parity - MLS demonstrates that. A league needs superstar teams, but it also needs all the other teams to have a fighting chance at the title, and that doesn't now exist in Europe - aside from the EPL once in a blue moon.

It will be interesting to see if/how this rolls out. The ESL isn't scheduled to launch for another 17 months. If the defecting clubs are kicked out of their domestic leagues, they won't have real competition for a long while. Presumably, they'd invent something to fill the gap, but will that bring the same revenue? Could the clubs pay their players? Do they loan them out? If you are Pulisic, do you take a year off of real competition to play in the ESL? or do you force a move to a team actually playing games? Will Bayern, Dortmund and PSG suddenly have their pick of players?
Would MLS turn out to be a good option in the interim?

I’m all for the super league. Screw uefa and fifa lining their pockets.

So it's looking like UEFA may have found an investment team willing to go toe to toe with JP Morgan, and they're possibly going to try to satisfy the Big Clubs' need for an immediate capital injection (which is what a lot of this is about).

I wonder if some of the ESL teams would rather take their money from UEFA('s backers) and tamp down the fan outrage than take their money from ESL/JPM.

If so, this may likely happen over and over, with various capital consortiums offering up blocks of money via various footballing entities.