Expansion Draft Date Set

Now that rosters are almost frozen and we are on the final stretch run, we can start to see who will not be protected.

We can start looking at the bottom teams, those that have little (but still a glimmer) chance at the playoffs; excluding Chivas, I have no clue what is happening to them. I'll update this with other teams as the playoff picture gets clearer.

The Unprotected list:

Montreal Impact
Troy Perkins GK
Hassoun Camara D
Matteo Ferrari D
Krzysztof Król D
Gorka Larrea M
Adrián López D
Issey Nakajima-Farran D
Heath Pearce D

Chicago Fire
Juan Luis Anangonó F
Razvan Cocis M
Robert Earnshaw F
Matthew Fondy F
Patrick Ianni D
Steven Kinney D
Jeff Larentowicz D/M
Patrick Nyarko M
Logan Pause M (retire)
Kyle Reynish G
Gonzalo Segares D
Matt Watson M

SJ Quakes
Brandon Barklage D
Shaun Francis D
Clarence Goodson D
Andreas Görlitz D
Ty Harden D
Atiba Harris M
Jason Hernandez D
Jean-Baptiste Pierazzi M
Khari Stephenson M
Jordan Stewart D

Colorado Rapids
Davy Armstrong M
Edson Buddle F
Marc Burch D
Kamani Hill M
Nick LaBrocca M
Brian Mullan D
Joe Nasco G
Vicente Sánchez M
Marvell Wynne D

What about open tryouts?

The club has said that they will have tryouts for the academy, but not until they've announced its creation. I think they're waiting to finalise a location for the training base (rather like the stadium) before they can do that. It's all dominoes.

The club has said that they will have tryouts for the academy, but not until they've announced its creation. I think they're waiting to finalise a location for the training base (rather like the stadium) before they can do that. It's all dominoes.
So no tryputs for the first team. Idk understand the point of an academy. My friends want to go to the open tryouts. So if they want to try out they gotta go for the academy?

So no tryputs for the first team. Idk understand the point of an academy. My friends want to go to the open tryouts. So if they want to try out they gotta go for the academy?
I don't expect ANY team in ANY top league to allow any random person to walk in on an open tryout to make their first team.

Reactions: horky and Kjbert

They haven't said there won't be tryouts for the first team, though I don't see it. Generally players who go through try-outs are not of the right quality to instantly be thrust into a national professional league with qualification to international tournaments and playing alongside national team players. They might have the potential, but if they were already of the right quality they'd have been snapped up by some team, US or foreign, already.

Of course, I'm only going off what I've read; I have no inside line to the club. Just like the stadium thing, don't dismiss the possibility until the club have spoken themselves. I just personally don't see try-outs happening for the first team.

The academy is there because CFG doesn't favour the US collegiate system. Since it has access to it, it will likely still use its drafts (though notice how quickly NYCFC is handing away its 2016 draft picks, it's like they're going out of fashion). CFG wants to have a top-grade academy so that it can bring its own players through its own system playing its own way using its own training techniques. The idea is that if you take in a player from the age of about 10-15 and have them playing your style from the very start, by the time they are ready for the first team they will instinctively know how to play, where their teammates are going to run, how to draw players out to make holes in the defence etc and there will be virtually no acclimatisation period when bought players generally have to completely relearn how their team plays so that they know how to fit in. Basically CFG want all of their academies to be like Barcelona's La Masia, where you can slot in an 18-year old and they play like they've already been in the first team for 10 years.

Reactions: horky and NYCFC_Dan
There's an email on the NYCFC website for recruitment purposes. Just shoot them an email and see what happens

CHIVAS USA

Players in bold are the ones that I predict would be available.

Erick Torres [LI; DP]
* Carlos Bocanegra
* Martin Rivero
Luis Bolaños [LI]
* Akira Kaji
Felix Borja [LI]
* Dan Kennedy
* Nigel Reo-Coker
* Agustín Pelletieri
Leandro Barrera [LI]
* Marvin Chavez
* Andrew Jean-Baptiste
Nathan Sturgis - CDM
* Eric Avila
Oswaldo Minda [DP]
* Bobby Burling - CB
Donald Toia - LB
Ryan Finley - ST
José Correa - ST - [Colombia]

* Jhon Keneddy Hurtado
Marco Delgado [HG]
Eriq Zavaleta [LI]
Tony Lochhead - LB
* Thomas McNamara - CAM [GA]
Tim Melia - GK
Trevor Spangenberg - GK
Michael Nwiloh - CB
Kristopher Tyrpak

Caleb Calvert [HG]
Mathew Dunn - CM

Last edited:
Reactions: MagnusPax
Are the ones in bold or with the star who you think will be available?
Thomas McNamara is a Generation Adidas player so he is exempt from draft.

Last edited:
Reactions: NYJaguar
Besides Chivas players, here are my potential picks from the other clubs:

Troy Perkins GK
Adrián López D
Patrick Ianni D
Jeff Larentowicz D/M
Patrick Nyarko M
Gonzalo Segares D
Brandon Barklage D
Shaun Francis D
Clarence Goodson D