Germany Destroys Brazil 7-1. Is It Unsportsmanlike?

einwindir

Registered
Donor
Seasoned Supporter
Mar 19, 2014
Queens, NY
I just wanted to see what you guys thought about the Brazilian defeat today. Is it unsportsmanlike to embarass Brazil like this during such a high-profile match or is it seen as Germany giving their all no matter what, out of respect for the game and her national pride? Do you think there is a point where the winning team should back off and not put forth 100%?

I suggested it might be in Germany's best interests to slow down but only to avoid a possible riot not from sympathy for Brazil. Not for their safety but rather the Brazilian players. I genuinely believed after 5th went in fans might start running on the pitch if it continued at same rate. That stuff aside there's absolutely no circumstance where any team should go easy on another. That is unless one of the teams has a few players sent off and a couple more could see the game abandoned. Those reasons aside "no mercy" should be the motto. Germany were so ruthless conceding one goal annoyed them.

Football field is no place for weakness and anything less than 100% killer instinct. Brazil embarrassed themselves.

Reactions: einwindir
It's largely considered disrespectful to "go easy" on your opponents, as it's a sign that you don't think they are worthy competition so you are treating them as a gentle kick-about at the park. Obviously every team steps off the gas at a certain point, if only to conserve energy, but if you have it in you to score more goals then you absolutely should do, and any player who switches off at half-time because the game is already won should be dropped from the next game.

I just wanted to see what you guys thought about the Brazilian defeat today. Is it unsportsmanlike to embarass Brazil like this during such a high-profile match or is it seen as Germany giving their all no matter what, out of respect for the game and her national pride? Do you think there is a point where the winning team should back off and not put forth 100%?

Would you have asked the same of Mike Tyson etc...
In sport you compete to win, and to crush your opponent when possible.

Would you have asked the same of Mike Tyson etc...
In sport you compete to win, and to crush your opponent when possible.
Would I? No, the post is for the purpose of discussion in this forum.

I have no problem with Germany scoring 7. They played hard from start to finish and deserved to win by that score line. Brazil just gave up after half time.

Since it seems the general concensus is that you play to win -- What about when a team seems to take it easy on another?

Germany started off with a blowout against Portugal and then seemed to be fairly well matched against Ghana and the US. Are Ghana and the US that much better than Brazil; was GER holding back towards the end of the Group stage? Or do you think Group G was that much more superior to Group A?

If Brazil didn't want to get trounced, they should have played better. Sports is no place for sympathy

Reactions: einwindir
There was a certain element of luck to it all, and a certain element of tactics.

It's not necessarily being disrespectful to your opponents to play a slow and tentative game while you sound out their playstyle and how much of a threat to you they are, whereas against a top opponent who you know inside out it's often best to push hard for an early goal as it puts a lot of pressure on your opponent - doubly so when you're in a knock-out game rather than the group stage.

And if you get a bit of luck with a through ball which gives you a definite goal opportunity in the first 10 minutes that might not have come off 9 times in every 10, it can completely alter the mindset of both teams. Suddenly the winning team can feel infallible whereas the losing team can feel like they are fated to lose. That kind of mindset is contagious, and can lead to one team playing up to their potential and producing more pieces of skill that might not work most of the time, whereas the other team become very insular and eventually reach a point where they just can't string two passes together.

To put it another way: if the US and Germany had played each other 1,000 times, the US would probably have lost 7-1 a good few times. However, once in that 1,000 games the US would probably win 7-1 also. As they say, goals change games. You can't read too much into a 7-1 regarding the strength of both teams, there's more to football than just skill.

It's not unsportsmanlike at all in my opinion,all sportsmen/women want to be the best at what they do.They want to go down in history,as klose now has as scoring the most goals in World Cup history.If Germany or any other team had the chance to score 20 they would do.If your little boys team were winning 15-0 and your son had scored 2 goals,then they got a penalty and your son was about to take it and get his first ever hat-trick,would you ask him to miss it?