Gerrard 'surprised At Mls Quality'. Who Thinks This Applies To Lampard In Spades?

Frank is irrelevant in terms of our quality of play. 107 minutes in 2 games has no meaningful effect. He basically played one nearly whole game and token minutes in another. Since all transfers arrived, including Angelino and Iraola, we have gotten 8 points in 8 games, with draws against Toronto and Columbus, and losses to LA, NJRB, Montreal and New England. So that's some tough teams (LA and NJRB), but before those guys arrived we were 1-0-0 against New England, 1-0-0 against Toronto, and 2-0-0 against Montreal. These were beatable teams. OTOH it's hard to keep beating teams forever (well, except for what the RB did to us). Small sample, etc, but tt's fair to say at a minimum that the transfers have not made us better, at least not yet.

What he said ^^^^

This first season of ours is just a clusterfuck. Transfers showing up mid season didn't help, and seemed to only confused the situation even more. The final version of NYCFC hasn't had the time they need to gel and play cohesively, and when we hit one bump in the road we lose momentum and can't get it back most of the time. We need time, we need work, a bit of stability in our lineup, and generally just need to take it on the chin with our heads up and hope it gets better. If we don't make the playoffs in our inaugural season, I can live with that. If we don't produce better results with what we have next season, we'll all see a lot of rage posting on every forum and comment section the sports world has to offer.

If he wanted to really come do you think CFG would force him against his will?

David Villa was loaned to Melbourne City for 10 games.
Melbourne advertised Villa the way NYCFC advertised Lampard.
After four games, Villa was recalled to New York mid-December.
Did Villa stay in Melbourne or return to New York?

David Villa was loaned to Melbourne City for 10 games.
Melbourne advertised Villa the way NYCFC advertised Lampard.
After four games, Villa was recalled to New York mid-December.
Did Villa stay in Melbourne or return to New York?
The situations aren't quite parallel, but CFG definitely screwed over Melbourne with that one. I think the big difference is between Villa and Lampard. We still don't know whether Lampard engineered the MC extension, was dragged kicking and screaming, or something in-between. But we do know that he appeared at a press conference in July 2014 where it was announced he signed as a DP with NYCFC and that was a straight-up lie at the time, regardless of the reason for it or their original intentions. It may very well be that he, Kreis, Reyna and the now gone Pernetti all believed it was a white lie that would never be discovered because he would just show up on time, but it turned out to be a key deception that facilitated the extended MC stay.
I don't think there is anything Villa did that quite matches that. As far as CFG, both events lowered my estimation of it as an essentially untrustworthy organization.

The situations aren't quite parallel, but CFG definitely screwed over Melbourne with that one. I think the big difference is between Villa and Lampard. We still don't know whether Lampard engineered the MC extension, was dragged kicking and screaming, or something in-between. But we do know that he appeared at a press conference in July 2014 where it was announced he signed as a DP with NYCFC and that was a straight-up lie at the time, regardless of the reason for it or their original intentions. It may very well be that he, Kreis, Reyna and the now gone Pernetti all believed it was a white lie that would never be discovered because he would just show up on time, but it turned out to be a key deception that facilitated the extended MC stay.
I don't think there is anything Villa did that quite matches that. As far as CFG, both events lowered my estimation of it as an essentially untrustworthy organization.
But but Frank scored goals for Man City...

No. China.

Older NBA stars don't cut careers short to go to China, they go after they can't play in the NBA any longer and find themselves with no money.

Older NBA stars don't cut careers short to go to China, they go after they can't play in the NBA any longer and find themselves with no money.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
I know that most British people who've seen or read about MLS think it's League One standard. But that impression is from the pre-Beckham era, before DPs. The are a lot of League 1 standard player but there are excellent non DPs too (Poku!!!). The most obvious difference between US soccer and most of the rest of the world is the weather. It's not possible to play with the same level of intensity.

The second is the college system which means there are players starting their professional careers on $35K at the age of 22 and can't afford to stay in the game. By the age of 22 most players at the European top-tier and even second tier clubs are earning at least $100. Kasper Schmeichelmade $806,000 a year in the Championship.

In 10 years time MLS will be just as good as Ligue 1 or Eredivisie but most European fans will never take US football seriously unless an American team wins the World Cup or the Champions League, the latter of which of course will never happen.

I know that most British people who've seen or read about MLS think it's League One standard. But that impression is from the pre-Beckham era, before DPs. The are a lot of League 1 standard player but there are excellent non DPs too (Poku!!!). The most obvious difference between US soccer and most of the rest of the world is the weather. It's not possible to play with the same level of intensity.

The second is the college system which means there are players starting their professional careers on $35K at the age of 22 and can't afford to stay in the game. By the age of 22 most players at the European top-tier and even second tier clubs are earning at least $100. Kasper Schmeichelmade $806,000 a year in the Championship.

In 10 years time MLS will be just as good as Ligue 1 or Eredivisie but most European fans will never take US football seriously unless an American team wins the World Cup or the Champions League, the latter of which of course will never happen.

I think it's going to take longer than 10 years for MLS to be as good as Ligue 1.