Home - 08/06 Jersey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, all this argument that Mata wouldn't or shouldn't be the starter is the most bulllshit I've ever read on this board.

It's not fucking close, people. We were trying to play him back to fitness.

Lord help me be strong and not lose my mind on folks making up ridiculous theories.
I could somewhat get behind the theory if we had a solid, if not offensively potent, LB to start instead. Then we would be solid defensively, then be able to bring Mata in to tear up the tired opponents. The weak side of that argument is that at the same time as our opponents are tired from 60+ minutes of soccer, so is Chanot/Callens/Ring and anyone else who would have to pick up Mata's defensive slack when he pushes forward. Fortunately, our alternatives are Sweat, Allen (who is especially bad at LB), White and Super Mikey Lopez. So yeah this is not even a conversation worth having at this point, but if Mata returns this season, it's unlikely that he would be able to return to a full starter role by seasons end, so for the rest of this season Mata will likely only serve as a substitute.
Hopefully we find a solid LB before then.

Most likely to earn a VAR penalty or red = Collin.

I don't think Collin will even play, in their new 3 man backline they play Murillo-Long-Zizzo as the 3 at the back. How they can do this is beyond me as it's really only one true CB and Zizzo is a bad defender. I understand that RBNJ carried play against the teams they were crushing, but a good attacking team should find chances against that 3 man back line.

My fear is that stubborn Patrick plays his possession game right into that 6 man midfield which is sniffing for turnovers - plays right into what RBNJ wants to happen. Then gets the back line retreating on a turnover and boom.

Yeah, all this argument that Mata wouldn't or shouldn't be the starter is the most bulllshit I've ever read on this board.

It's not fucking close, people. We were trying to play him back to fitness.

Lord help me be strong and not lose my mind on folks making up ridiculous theories.

What I would give to actually have NYCFC's best 11 on the field:
Johnson; White-Chanot-Callens-Mata;Moralez-Ring-Herrera;Wallace-Villa-Harrison

The only hope this team has to win silverware is that (cross your fingers) everybody gets healthy before the playoffs, the team cuts down on the stupid mistakes and starts playing up to their potential, and gets a little luck along the way.

Last edited:
What I would give to actually have NYCFC's best 11 on the field:
Johnson; White-Chanot-Callens-Mata;Moralez-Ring-Herrera;Wallace-Villa-Harrison

The only hope this team has is that (cross your fingers) everybody gets healthy before the playoffs, the team cuts down on the stupid mistakes and starts playing up to their potential, and gets a little luck along the way.
We need to introduce some tactical flexibility. Putting all of our hopes on having our best XI healthy isn't a robust strategy.

We need to introduce some tactical flexibility. Putting all of our hopes on having our best XI healthy isn't a robust strategy.

I should have clarified - the only hope to win is if the top 11 is healthy in the playoffs (which it hasn't been all year). NYCFC will make the playoffs, but doesn't have the depth to compete, this is painfully obvious. Trotting out Pirlo or Brilliant or hoping for Tommy Mac to be a winger or playing RJ Allen as a LB will inevitably lead to disappointment.

The only hope this team has to win silverware is that (cross your fingers) everybody gets healthy before the playoffs, the team cuts down on the stupid mistakes and starts playing up to their potential, and gets a little luck along the way.
Though to be fair, I think this generally applies to most teams

Toronto, Chicago, SKC, Dallas all have a better floor than NYCFC.
Disagree on SKC, but sure, your main point stands. But ultimately, for any of those teams to win MLS Cup, they will need to be healthy, not make stupid mistakes, and get a little bit lucky. That applies for any team, in any sport which the champion is decided by playoffs.

There's not a good chance they will play you know who but have a good time!!
If we have comfortable lead I wouldn't mind bringing him on to calm down the game with ten minutes to go, but he should definitely not start.

Ugh just saw it was a 6 start and not 5.
I'm only going to see first half and be in the air for the second. Fml

I'm reading there are going to be 1,000 Red Bull fans from supporter groups. Viking Army is bringing 400+ people. I'm surprised our front office allocated them so many tickets. Then again, capitalism.

I'm reading there are going to be 1,000 Red Bull fans from supporter groups. Viking Army is bringing 400+ people. I'm surprised our front office allocated them so many tickets. Then again, capitalism.
Considering the amount we're allowed this way too generous.
It's more than capitalism.... NYCFC has to show as high of attendance as possible for the impending community board/city hearings. Once we have a stadium, the quid pro quo will take place and the RB fans wont have such a big allotment.

Seeing mixed reports on whether the 2 is running. Confirming that it is running at least here at 72nd. Route TBD.

Bringing an RB-supporting friend to share my season tickets. Maybe he'll flip sides!

For real, though, I'm worried about the result today. We're under strength and RB are on a streak playing a new system (3-3-3-1?).

Status
Not open for further replies.