Home - 8/22 New Jersey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Counterpoint. Aside from US Open Cup and Preseason, when has it not been?
giphy.gif

I count 20 players available for this match...

11: Johnson, Sweat, Chanot, Ibeagha, Tinnerholm, Ofori, Ring, Moralez, Villa, Berget, Tajouri-Shradi

Bench: Stuver, Wallace, McNamara, Amagat, Awuah, Bedoya, Scally

Nope: Lewis, Caldwell

Unavailable: Abdul-Salaam, Callens, Castellanos, Herrera, Hountondji, Matarrita, Medina, Sands

11: Johnson, Sweat, Chanot, Ibeagha, Tinnerholm, Ofori, Ring, Moralez, Villa, Berget, Tajouri-Shradi

Unavailable: Abdul-Salaam, Callens, Castellanos, Herrera, Hountondji, Matarrita, Medina, Sands
There isn’t a single offensive player on that bench. Fck!!!

There isn’t a single offensive player on that bench. Fck!!!
It makes Mata's stupidity even worse. Dome probably was going to use him in what would have actually been a useful spot (really, the only good spot) for him - up front as an outlet to beat the high press. That would also have allowed us to have an additional offensive weapon on the bench to use appropriately.

Is Lewis hurt or are you predicting a coach's decision there? Because I think he makes the 18 with this availability.

Last edited:
It makes Mata's stupidity even worse. Dome probably was going to use him in what would have actually been a useful spot (really, the only good spot) for him - up front as an outlet to beat the high press. That would also have allowed us to have an additional offensive weapon on the bench to use appropriately.
Find someone who loves you the way JayH JayH hates on Mata. It's much more subtle than say, Midas Mulligan and Sweat or McNamara, but it burns with a white hot eternal flame.
Which, by the way, I kind of admire.

Yeah, swap Lewis with Scally. But who knows what Dome will do. Remember that Lewis won the ball and assisted Moralez to win the last game vs. New Jersey.
Considering our options, Scally is an offensive sub. I’d like Lewis and him on the bench. Seriously, a 15yo outside back can run all day with pace, which we need, and most wings/backs have similar skill sets when that young - they haven’t had an opportunity to fully specialize.

I think he was going to use Mata as a pressing winger and potentially play Sweat as an inverted LB. if they need a goal then take out Sweat, put in another attacking player and move Mata to LB.

Well, so much for that.

Fck it..... gonna win it with the starters or not at all...... 3241

————————Lewis
Berget——Villa——Maxi——-Isi
————-Ring———-Tinny
-Sweat——Ibeagha——Chanot
—————-Johnson

Keep Lewis high to reduce his defensive responsibilities while pushing the defenders back/on their heels in fear of theoughballs

Berget and Isi are wingers with wingback defensive responsibilities if RB fullbacks bomb forward. Let Berget make slicing runs to the middle from the outside and attack Isi’s crosses as last man. Isi can cut in and shoot with his left foot.

Villa and maxi are dual-9/10’s making cutting runs or feeding throughballs to Lewis.

Tinny (permanently) inverts as a DMid to help Ring and stifle the RB spine.

Back three play ball forward on diagonal at first sign of pressure or if not then normal breakout. Safety first. On offense, Sweat inverts next to Ring (so 2341) to have 3 dmids clog the RB passing lanes, with Ibeagha and Chanot deep covering BWP.

The defense is the real issue with that player availability. We have a decent starting 4, but the only reserve is a 15-YO right back with no MLS appearances. There is no natural CB on the bench.

I think Wallace needs to train at FB so that we at least have the option to move Sweat into the middle if one of our starting CBs gets hurt.

The defense is the real issue with that player availability. We have a decent starting 4, but the only reserve is a 15-YO right back with no MLS appearances. There is no natural CB on the bench.

I think Wallace needs to train at FB so that we at least have the option to move Sweat into the middle if one of our starting CBs gets hurt.
In theory we only have to get past Wednesday and then we have a week before the next match at which time Sands and SAS will have their loans end (presumably before the match). Not really any/much time training with the club if Loans go the extent, but they’d be available.

Reactions: adam
Status
Not open for further replies.