Home - August 24 - Columbus (Postgame)

would have been nice if we had won the derby though...

We tied the derby 0-0...oh wait...
Chapmannnnnn!!!

giphy.gif

Yeah that was really weird about the chanting. Someone obviously hit the wrong audio file. It's a good thing they're trying, even if they made a mistake. It was also good that they fixed it in the second half, I didn't hear any Red Bulls chants afterwards. I think we need to go easy on whoever is responsible for that. The backstage people working these games are literally putting their lives at risk to work these games. Let's all cut them some slack right now. We're playing games in a pandemic, and things aren't going to be perfect. We have a pretty good TV crew (not counting the streaming/live issues, the actual productions and commentating are pretty damn solid), so let's cut them some slack while they risk their lives to televise these games.

And you play who you play. We were missing Maxi, surely we're better with him. They also had Zardes, Santos, and their defense has been great all season. It's not like they were playing their full B team. Yes they rested a few guys, and a few others were injured, but we're also missing two starters.
Nice to get a result, but the fact that we needed to be gifted a goal off of a horrible gaffe in order to generate offense against a team that rested 5 starter doesn't have me feeling all warm and fuzzy inside.

Did anyone else think the contact with Mitri in the box in the second half was a stone cold penalty?

I didn’t think so at first, but on the replay, it looked like Mitri kicked the ball to the side and then the defender kicked him in both legs getting none of the ball.

Ring hates us.

Having watched his presser, I don't get that feeling at all. He seems just buoyed after having obviously been gutted for the recent performances. What's much more interesting is what he doesn't tell, namely what was said between him and the coach in that meeting. Easy to read between the lines that he must have come out quite rough and direct in telling Deila some home truths.

Reactions: NYCFC_Dan
Someone obviously hit the wrong audio file. It's a good thing they're trying, even if they made a mistake. It was also good that they fixed it in the second half, I didn't hear any Red Bulls chants afterwards. I think we need to go easy on whoever is responsible for that.
You're very kind. My cynical assumption was that the soundboard operator was deliberately trolling us, and was then told to stop.

Reactions: Jock
You're very kind. My cynical assumption was that the soundboard operator was deliberately trolling us, and was then told to stop.

Well that absolutely did not happen. This wasn't a situation where it was a Red Bulls TV crew. This was the YES TV crew. No chance that was done intentionally.

Well that absolutely did not happen. This wasn't a situation where it was a Red Bulls TV crew. This was the YES TV crew. No chance that was done intentionally.
You think YES screens their employees for MLS fandom?

The only thing YES generates is the live stand-up footage of the commentators, the graphics package, the commentator audio and the music cues.

Did anyone else think the contact with Mitri in the box in the second half was a stone cold penalty?

I didn’t think so at first, but on the replay, it looked like Mitri kicked the ball to the side and then the defender kicked him in both legs getting none of the ball.
I had the same thought. At first I didn't think much of it, but it looked like a foul in the box to me on the replay. I've definitely seen much worse given, even after VAR.

Reactions: Gotham Gator
Having watched his presser, I don't get that feeling at all. He seems just buoyed after having obviously been gutted for the recent performances. What's much more interesting is what he doesn't tell, namely what was said between him and the coach in that meeting. Easy to read between the lines that he must have come out quite rough and direct in telling Deila some home truths.
It was directed at the supporters. The "say it to my face" stuff confirms it. He (and the team) have been the objects of ire on social media, etc. It appears that he reads it, and is sensitive about it. Given that his immediate reaction after the goal is a virtual gesture to the cameras suggests that he's REALLY irked by it and probably should stay off of the web.

Also, we really need to give credit to the folks at the team in charge of making it "look and feel" like an NYCFC home game. The signage, the digital boards, everything looked really good. They did a great job making it look seamlessly like an NYCFC home game. Massive kudos, that's not an easy job when it's your actual home stadium, and even less so at your rival's place.
This was great and I absolutely loved the effort for that. I thought it looked pretty good and the fact that the bulk of Red Bulls seats are blue (I think the ones that aren't were covered by the green tarps) really helped.

On an interesting note, some Red Bull fans were quite pissed off by it, and as much as I like to see them squirm, gotta feel for them for being told one thing by the FO and then having the opposite happen to them.
they missed the red bulls tarp on the 2nd level - though that wasn't viewable on TV.
I'm assuming there's only so much they can do. Those tarps at that level are always there, even when Red Bulls have fans in the stadium. And assuming since it was only viewable on TV from the rare odd angle, probably not worth it.

Reactions: JayH
I had the same thought. At first I didn't think much of it, but it looked like a foul in the box to me on the replay. I've definitely seen much worse given, even after VAR.
Agreed. However, I think that neither Taty nor Mitri get the benefit of the doubt from officials given their propensity to embellish.

This was great and I absolutely loved the effort for that. I thought it looked pretty good and the fact that the bulk of Red Bulls seats are blue (I think the ones that aren't were covered by the green tarps) really helped.

On an interesting note, some Red Bull fans were quite pissed off by it, and as much as I like to see them squirm, gotta feel for them for being told one thing by the FO and then having the opposite happen to them.

I'm assuming there's only so much they can do. Those tarps at that level are always there, even when Red Bulls have fans in the stadium. And assuming since it was only viewable on TV from the rare odd angle, probably not worth it.

does the FO really have a say anymore? I thought the stadium is now owned by the harrison county commitee or whatever its called and not Red bull. they just rent the place now.

EDIT: i also thought for the CCL games the deal no "home fans" in that section. not that it cant be covered with other things

does the FO really have a say anymore? I thought the stadium is now owned by the harrison county commitee or whatever its called and not Red bull. they just rent the place now.

EDIT: i also thought for the CCL games the deal no "home fans" in that section. not that it cant be covered with other things
The stadium is owned by the city of Harrison, but I doubt they have any say in what kind of banners can be hung up. That'd be like saying that de Blasio could hang some banners at Yankee Stadium saying whatever he wanted.

Regarding your edit, that's a good point. Very well could have just intended that "untouched" meant there would be no fans in that section so perhaps this is more of a miscommunication, or misinterpretation on the part of the Red Bulls fans.