Home - July 7 - Portland

Status
Not open for further replies.
And the women's team has been whining about it of course, because the soccer world revolves around them.
It’s not just the USWNT. Pretty widely acknowledged as a scheduling fuckup. Regardless of your feelings about the women’s game (I’m not gonna go there) it’s bad marketing to stack everything on one day.

I'm thinking of staying home for this game, which I don't think I've ever done. I have missed games, but always due to conflicts. I already traded in my tickets because nobody from my family can come with. Usually when that happens I buy a cheap solo ticket, but there's a ton of soccer to watch on TV, and I kind of just want to end this long weekend without dealing with traffic, etc. But it also just feels kind of weird.

Last edited:
It’s not just the USWNT. Pretty widely acknowledged as a scheduling fuckup. Regardless of your feelings about the women’s game (I’m not gonna go there) it’s bad marketing to stack everything on one day.

I get the idea that it would be a sign of respect to let them have the day to themselves, but there is no actual conflict. The weird thing is it would seem more right if it were on in the evening as the capstone to the day of world soccer, but geography and the time-space continuum won't allow that.

Honest question - why though?

Sunday is a fantastic soccer day and it starts out with the big one

Also known as Camo Night apparently:

• The first 8,000 fans to enter the Stadium will receive camo drawstring bags courtesy of Ford.
  • The on-field presentation will feature an oversized American flag held by active military, local ROTC, Vet Tix recipients, as well as active military and veterans from NYCFC.
  • NYCFC’s starting XI flags will be held by active military and/or veterans who are City Members.
  • NYCFC will showcase camo-patterned corner flags and procession flags as well as have camo wrapping on the smokestacks in front of the supporters’ section.
  • Alex Ring will wear a camo Captain’s armband and First Team players will wear military warmup jerseys.
  • NYCFC’s special camo memorabilia, including player warmup tops, Captain’s armband, corner flag, and procession flag, will be donated to City in the Community. A portion will also be donated to NYCFC supporters and Ford to be distributed to servicemen, women, and veterans.
  • 350 Military Appreciation shirts will be distributed to staff and on-field participants.
  • Active military and veterans will be included in the Tunnel of Honor ceremony and the Honor Guard will be provided by the United States Navy.
  • Ford will provide boxed lunches to Color Guard participants as another way to thank them for their service.
  • The National Anthem will be performed by Master Sergeant, Mandi Harper from the United States Air Force Band.
  • A member of the military will perform the ceremonial coin toss and set off the smokestacks.
  • Camo warmup tops will be available for purchase in the team store. July 4 themed scarves will be on sale during the July 3rd match, with any leftover inventory available on July 7, as well.

Which reminds me that I looked in the big stadium store for those USA-themed training tops that were featured in the New Swag thread and did not see them. I was curious whether they look any better in person than on screen. Was a bit surprised not to see them there because as others noted, by the time they went on sale, even if you ordered them immediately, you probably would not get it by Independence Day.
Thanks for the list that, I’ll send to the homophobes commenting on the pride match asking for a military appreciation match.

You gotta remember that the open cup only allows for X number of internationals playing, so that means someone is gonna have to rest during the open cup... Means we'll see whoever that is playing on sunday.
...Also, Orlando is gonna be coming off of a back-to-back philly rout (because we all know they ain't winning in Philly now...) with dead players, so I somehow doubt we'll really need to worry too much about fielding the BEST team, just a "good" team would do it.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
You gotta remember that the open cup only allows for X number of internationals playing, so that means someone is gonna have to rest during the open cup... Means we'll see whoever that is playing on sunday.
...Also, Orlando is gonna be coming off of a back-to-back philly rout (because we all know they ain't winning in Philly now...) with dead players, so I somehow doubt we'll really need to worry too much about fielding the BEST team, just a "good" team would do it.

Because of green cards we can play everyone in the USOC and not hit our limit.

Perfect game to start our B-C team, either Rest Maxi, Ring and/or Ibeagha or bring them in the 70th minute. I personally think we should focus on the Open Cup.I wonder what the club is prioritizing...

We should have Johnson and Callens back for Orlando. Both should be rested by then too. GMS is technically allowed to play for us on Sunday, but no clue when he gets his visa and when he will start training with the team. And who knows when Heber and Sands are cleared to play, but we might have one or both of them available as well.

Reactions: Kjbert
We should have Johnson and Callens back for Orlando. Both should be rested by then too. GMS is technically allowed to play for us on Sunday, but no clue when he gets his visa and when he will start training with the team. And who knows when Heber and Sands are cleared to play, but we might have one or both of them available as well.
The window opens Tuesday.
"The registration windows - the dates between which MLS may request the transfer certificate of a player under contract in another country - are as follows:
  • Primary Transfer Window: February 13, 2019 to May 7, 2019
  • Secondary Transfer Window: July 9, 2019 to August 7, 2019
They've had 2 weeks to work on the Visa so I would hope it is ready but who knows.

Because of green cards we can play everyone in the USOC and not hit our limit.
I completely forgot that a bunch of players got their green cards!! That's very great news.
We could see GMS as early as Orlando...

Reactions: Kjbert and adam
I believe we only have 6 international players by USOC definition.
Heber
Taty
GMS (probably not available/ready for either match)
Mitrita
Maxi
Ofori

So we likely only have five available players anyway, no restrictions this match. For the next round when GMS is available, it's unlikely all 6 are in our best XI at any point to warrant any changes.

We’re now working on James being out 9 days longer than they thought he would be. I think JohnB mentioned someone hurt him in practice.

No update on Heber. GMS isn’t cleared yet as of yesterday.

Reactions: adam
Status
Not open for further replies.