Elite Donor
Seasoned Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
New York, NY
New York City Football Club vs Portland Timbers
Yankee Stadium
Sunday, July 7th 6:30 PM ET
FOX

The last of 3 matches in 8 days, NYCFC takes on the Portland Timbers. (And next week is the Hudson River Derby, on the road).

Portland just played a complete B-squad on a road game against an East conference opponent 4 days before a home game against a west conference rival (FC Dallas). Valeri and Fernandez were not even on the bench,

Portland plays us in the East on the road 3 days before another road game against West leading LAFC which is in turn 3 days before a home game against the West lagging (but rising) Rapids.

I would expect Portland to rotate against LAFC based solely on the schedule, but that's arguably the most important game. OTOH, they might figure LAFC is out of reach and points is points.

I guess we see a mostly A-squad.
ETA: See revised analysis a couple posts below.

Last edited:
Portland just played a complete B-squad on a road game against an East conference opponent 4 days before a home game against a west conference rival (FC Dallas). Valeri and Fernandez were not even on the bench,

Portland plays us in the East on the road 3 days before another road game against West leading LAFC which is in turn 3 days before a home game against the West lagging (but rising) Rapids.

I would expect Portland to rotate against LAFC based solely on the schedule, but that's arguably the most important game. OTOH, they might figure LAFC is out of reach and points is points.

I guess we see a mostly A-squad.
A mostly A-squad from which team? The addition of a mid-week game at Orlando before the Derby screams out rotation during this 5 game stretch of Sat-Wed-Sat-Wed-Sat. If we are trying to win the Open Cup, this game should be the one we trot our B team -- Danny Bedoya's first MLS start?

A mostly A-squad from which team? The addition of a mid-week game at Orlando before the Derby screams out rotation during this 5 game stretch of Sat-Wed-Sat-Wed-Sat. If we are trying to win the Open Cup, this game should be the one we trot our B team -- Danny Bedoya's first MLS start?
I was referring to Portland. I left out that they had a home game this past Saturday in which they played their best available 11, which would reinforce the likelihood that when they have a similar-ish schedule coming up, the big rotation game will be midweek. But even more important I didn't notice last night that their mid-week game against LAFC is USOC. They have to prioritize that just like we do so I'm guessing they rotate against us, just maybe not as much as they did last night.

For us, before even considering rotation Heber is out 2 weeks give or take, Sands seems to be a maybe for Seattle and I guess probable for Portland. Rocha also needs time and could be missing for this game. Matarrita may or may not be back. It's harder to rotate with so many missing but I agree this game is lower priority than USOC and we see a pair of mostly B-squads.

Our injury reports:

Last edited:

Also known as Camo Night apparently:

• The first 8,000 fans to enter the Stadium will receive camo drawstring bags courtesy of Ford.
  • The on-field presentation will feature an oversized American flag held by active military, local ROTC, Vet Tix recipients, as well as active military and veterans from NYCFC.
  • NYCFC’s starting XI flags will be held by active military and/or veterans who are City Members.
  • NYCFC will showcase camo-patterned corner flags and procession flags as well as have camo wrapping on the smokestacks in front of the supporters’ section.
  • Alex Ring will wear a camo Captain’s armband and First Team players will wear military warmup jerseys.
  • NYCFC’s special camo memorabilia, including player warmup tops, Captain’s armband, corner flag, and procession flag, will be donated to City in the Community. A portion will also be donated to NYCFC supporters and Ford to be distributed to servicemen, women, and veterans.
  • 350 Military Appreciation shirts will be distributed to staff and on-field participants.
  • Active military and veterans will be included in the Tunnel of Honor ceremony and the Honor Guard will be provided by the United States Navy.
  • Ford will provide boxed lunches to Color Guard participants as another way to thank them for their service.
  • The National Anthem will be performed by Master Sergeant, Mandi Harper from the United States Air Force Band.
  • A member of the military will perform the ceremonial coin toss and set off the smokestacks.
  • Camo warmup tops will be available for purchase in the team store. July 4 themed scarves will be on sale during the July 3rd match, with any leftover inventory available on July 7, as well.

Which reminds me that I looked in the big stadium store for those USA-themed training tops that were featured in the New Swag thread and did not see them. I was curious whether they look any better in person than on screen. Was a bit surprised not to see them there because as others noted, by the time they went on sale, even if you ordered them immediately, you probably would not get it by Independence Day.

• The first 8,000 fans to enter the Stadium will receive camo drawstring bags courtesy of Ford.
  • The on-field presentation will feature an oversized American flag held by active military, local ROTC, Vet Tix recipients, as well as active military and veterans from NYCFC.
  • NYCFC’s starting XI flags will be held by active military and/or veterans who are City Members.
  • NYCFC will showcase camo-patterned corner flags and procession flags as well as have camo wrapping on the smokestacks in front of the supporters’ section.
  • Alex Ring will wear a camo Captain’s armband and First Team players will wear military warmup jerseys.
  • NYCFC’s special camo memorabilia, including player warmup tops, Captain’s armband, corner flag, and procession flag, will be donated to City in the Community. A portion will also be donated to NYCFC supporters and Ford to be distributed to servicemen, women, and veterans.
  • 350 Military Appreciation shirts will be distributed to staff and on-field participants.
  • Active military and veterans will be included in the Tunnel of Honor ceremony and the Honor Guard will be provided by the United States Navy.
  • Ford will provide boxed lunches to Color Guard participants as another way to thank them for their service.
  • The National Anthem will be performed by Master Sergeant, Mandi Harper from the United States Air Force Band.
  • A member of the military will perform the ceremonial coin toss and set off the smokestacks.
  • Camo warmup tops will be available for purchase in the team store. July 4 themed scarves will be on sale during the July 3rd match, with any leftover inventory available on July 7, as well.

Which reminds me that I looked in the big stadium store for those USA-themed training tops that were featured in the New Swag thread and did not see them. I was curious whether they look any better in person than on screen. Was a bit surprised not to see them there because as others noted, by the time they went on sale, even if you ordered them immediately, you probably would not get it by Independence Day.
Yeah at a certain point, it's just patronizing us. Replace the MLS anthem with a medley of branch songs and call it a day.

Guess i better whip out my old school hat from season 1.

First they go all Hawaiian shirts. Now they take my camo. Next week orange 7 train hats or flashing pineapple necklaces?

I only just realized that this match is on the same day as the WWC final, the Copa America final and the Gold Cup final.
And the women's team has been whining about it of course, because the soccer world revolves around them.

I only just realized that this match is on the same day as the WWC final, the Copa America final and the Gold Cup final.

Sunday, All Times ET...

11 AM - USA vs. Netherlands - WWC Final (FOX)
2 PM - Atlanta vs. Red Bulls (FOX)
4 PM - Brazil vs. Peru - Copa America Final (Telemundo, ESPN+)
6:30 - NYCFC vs. Portland (FS1)
9 PM - USA vs. Mexico - Gold Cup Final (FS1)

Sunday, All Times ET...

11 AM - USA vs. Netherlands - WWC Final (FOX)
2 PM - Atlanta vs. Red Bulls (FOX)
4 PM - Brazil vs. Peru - Copa America Final (Telemundo, ESPN+)
6:30 - NYCFC vs. Portland (FS1)
9 PM - USA vs. Mexico - Gold Cup Final (FS1)

The good news is this means we’ll actuslly kick off at 6:30 / on time for once

Reactions: Ulrich
The good news is this means we’ll actuslly kick off at 6:30 / on time for once

It's a 2 hour TV block. So say 45+2+15+45+5 = 112, so that leaves 8 minutes left. So maybe we start around 6:37? And the lead out is straight into the Gold Cup Matchday show which is 30 minutes.

Don't think Gold Cup will kickoff exactly at 9 PM.

Reactions: Kjbert
Status
Not open for further replies.