How Did You Become A Fan Of The Teams You Support?

This is an NYCFC Forum. However, do to us being an expansion team there are fans of teams from all over the world here. Quite frankly I don't care what anyone says about those teams and who is a fan of who. As long as insults aren't directed at members for no reason it's free game. Say whatever you want.
For example. If someone says your club is shit in this section (appropriate section for said comment as its 'Other Football') and its in a related post (premier league discussion, so on) you're within your right to give it back.
However, if someone says only INSERT INSULT HERE like the Spurs. Then that's another story.
Being our first year we are in a tough spot. Other club specific forum are just that. Club specific. Whereas we are NYCFC specific but almost have to cater to general football discussion and almost demand our member base respect opposing out-of-country club affiliation. Due to the fact 99% of those here are tied to other clubs.
Hopefully in due time we can slowly weed this out and people come here solely as NYCFC fans.
There's still a long way to go before people are just fans of MLS.

Alright listen folks my post was only meant in a lighthearted way, I may have been slightly tipsy from some delicious prosecco :) I didn't mean to start shit. But looking back I guess I can see how it might be taken differently. Therefore--sorry!

Believe me, if I were actually that thin-skinned, as a Spurs and a lifelong Jets fan, I'd be dead by now from anger/anxiety issues

I'll be back after work to tell my sad story of Spurs/Jets fandom...

There's still a long way to go before people are just fans of MLS.

Oh, I don't know.
I'm pretty much "just" a fan of MLS.
It balances my obsession with the NBA perfectly.

I spent last weekend watching every Premier League game NBC/Universal could show. I didn't see any qualitative difference in English soccer that couldn't be accounted for by one factor: M-O-N-E-Y. Those sides that have it win trophies; those that don't... don't.

In fact, I saw more "own goals" in one weekend of watching the Premiership than I have watching an entire season of MLS. I just accounted for that by PL's players being better sharpshooters.

la la la

Oh, I don't know.

I spent last weekend watching every Premier League game NBC/Universal could show. I didn't see any qualitative difference in English soccer that couldn't be accounted for by one factor: M-O-N-E-Y. Those sides that have it win trophies; those that don't... don't.

In fact, I saw more "own goals" in one weekend of watching the Premiership than I have watching an entire season of MLS. I just accounted for that by PL's players being better sharpshooters.

la la la
I don't believe you to be in the majority. There are plenty of MLS fan who have allegiances to other clubs across the globe. It will take time before people are solely fans of MLS teams.

As a Catholic I'm not a fan of the chants (Billy's Boys) sung by Rangers fans about being up to their knees in Catholic blood. Those chants aren't really accurate if you read up on the history of the battles referenced in the song/chant. However, all that is besides the point.

I'm a fan of the support that they get week in and week out despite being in a lower division in Scotland of all places. They sure are passionate and rowdy!

Trust me man, although everyone says the old Catholic Versus Protestant thing, it really isn't like that. Religion has nothing to do with it these days, it's all politics.

The words of the song are 'up to our knees in fenian blood' (btw, that song in full pelt is unbeatable anywhere in the world)

A fenian is not a catholic, a fenian is a supporter or an affiliate of the IRA, so, quite rightfully, we sing songs of killing terrorists :).

They sing songs of killing soldiers.

Anyways man, Rangers is a club open to all. Protestant, Catholic, Islamic, Buddhist, Black, White, Atheist, Chinese or whatever, the club had its troubles in the past but we are now a very modern club and are very anti-discrimination.

Reactions: Z4CH3B99
Oh, I don't know.

la la la

It isn't just the Premier League where money gets you a better side. Look at La Liga, a basically 2 team league because they get most of the league's t.v. deal money.

In the Bundesliga Bayern is dominant, they have the most money.

It's the same in U.S. sports really. Look at the Yankees. They spend a lot of money and they win a lot, same with the Red Sox (spits on the ground).

"Equality" in finances is a nice sounding idea but wouldn't you take a raise if your employer offered it even if your coworkers weren't getting one?

And I, for one don't think L.A. Galaxy or any other side in the MLS would finish top 10 in the Prem.

Alright listen folks my post was only meant in a lighthearted way, I may have been slightly tipsy from some delicious prosecco :) I didn't mean to start shit. But looking back I guess I can see how it might be taken differently. Therefore--sorry!

Believe me, if I were actually that thin-skinned, as a Spurs and a lifelong Jets fan, I'd be dead by now from anger/anxiety issues

I'll be back after work to tell my sad story of Spurs/Jets fandom...

Good enough for me, Kenny. Hope we all will have some good football discussions, and wine, ;) in the future.

I'm gonna be lazy and just leave this here as I wrote it when someone in England asked why was I a Man City fan. I don't think I ever said it better.

My story is a simple one. I grew up playing football( although for some reason called soccer) until my grades suffered and my parents had me quit. I always liked Football never had a care for the American game of Throwegg which they call football for some reason. I started as I grew older to look for a sport to sustain me over the winter months and I started gravitating to The Premiere League in the mid 00's.

Now I except for my military service have lived in New York and have been a life long Mets fan. As you may or may not know in New York there are two major league baseball teams. There are my beloved Mets and a team that is well known the world around. Those Damned New York Yankees. The Yankees are a team that for decades now have gone out and spent whatever it took to sign the biggest stars and just bought and bought and bought. Their fans are the type of person that go out of their way to if you are wearing a Mets hat or jacket to insult and berate you.
So back to the EPL. As I was looking at the teams and where they were and who I was going to choose I immediately said NO LONDON teams. I just didn't want to glom on to one of them. It just didn't seem right it's not who I am. I kept doing research and I kept coming back to Man City. It was a team with a loud overshadowing neighbour. Man United fans seemed to be the same overbearing pricks as Yankee fans that I had grown to despise. Then Man United and the Yankees did some sort of marketing deal. That sealed it. I was a City fan. Now there are other trivial reasons that supported my decision such as one of my favorite television characters (Gene Hunt in Life On Mars) was a City fan. What cemented the fact (not that I doubted) I made the right decision was the end of the 09-10 season. When we just missed the Champions League and the way we missed it said I was home. I had been following City for a few years at this point(Since the 06-07 season) and by now I had found the Supporters Club at The Mad Hatter in New York City and had been coming down as frequently as I could. I had found my home and my family. I've gone to a few friendly matches the MCFC have played here in NY at Yankee Stadium and with the (baseball) team I hate have gone on to start a team here in New York. (The appropriately named New York City Football Club and I have grown to look past the Yankees minority ownership) I have stood at Yankee stadium watching my team among my fellow City fans cheering, singing and chanting and I knew I was exactly where God had intended me to be.
Some City fans that have come to New York and ask me why I'm a City fan and hear this story say "Well it sounds like you were born into it." Maybe I was but what I am is a City fan I bleed Sky Blue and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Reactions: Z4CH3B99
Trust me man, although everyone says the old Catholic Versus Protestant thing, it really isn't like that. Religion has nothing to do with it these days, it's all politics.

The words of the song are 'up to our knees in fenian blood' (btw, that song in full pelt is unbeatable anywhere in the world)

A fenian is not a catholic, a fenian is a supporter or an affiliate of the IRA, so, quite rightfully, we sing songs of killing terrorists :).

They sing songs of killing soldiers.

Anyways man, Rangers is a club open to all. Protestant, Catholic, Islamic, Buddhist, Black, White, Atheist, Chinese or whatever, the club had its troubles in the past but we are now a very modern club and are very anti-discrimination.
That's not how that song was explained to me. However, I'll take your word for it. You seem to be much more knowledgeable on the subject than I am.

Reactions: andyrangersfc