How Did You Become A Fan Of The Teams You Support?

West Bromwich Albion...

When i started following football i didnt know where to start. I picked an English team b/c i thought it would be easier to get news on it in english. I didnt just want to automatically jump on the bandwagon of a winning team. So i've known i have distant relatives in a tiny town in the West Midlands, and just picked the team that was geographically closest to that town

Reactions: mgarbowski
I had followed the original Cosmos in the old NASL days until the outdoor league died.
I had passing interest from the days of the 1994 FIFA World Cup hosted by the US.
When MLS came into existence, I was living in SoCal; so I marginally followed the Galaxy,

My interest started to rise in futbol during the 2002 FIFA World Cup from Japan and Korea. Still living in California, I was fascinated by this game that was loved around the world, but not in my native country. I distinctly remember sitting up in the middle of the night listening to the Spanish-language broadcasts which were so much more interesting because you could hear the passion in the presenters' voices. I believe at the time ESPN was using a baseball announcer, Dave O'Brien, who was passionless.

I continued to follow the Galaxy to this day, but I love the story of expansion teams. The pain, the growth, the sudden blossoming that often happens some years down the line. So, when NYCFC was announced, I knew I would follow its story from the beginning, especially as a Brooklyn native.

Stoke, so I'm hoping for an easy win.
Stoke have been having a pretty good transfer window and Mark Hughes will have them playing decent football. If Spurs play like they did last weekend, it will not be an easy match for them.

Nevertheless, have a good trip. I love London very much.

Stoke have been having a pretty good transfer window and Mark Hughes will have them playing decent football. If Spurs play like they did last weekend, it will not be an easy match for them.

Nevertheless, have a good trip. I love London very much.
Stoke are not quite as good as you make them out to be. However, they will still make it a rather interesting game. Should be a fun one to watch.

Stoke are not quite as good as you make them out to be. However, they will still make it a rather interesting game. Should be a fun one to watch.

I didn't say they are "good," but they can be a tricky side. Hughes is a good manager.

And like I said, with their transfers in, they could be quite dangerous. They are not going to challenge for top 4 but I could see top 10again. They were 9th last season and now have some bettet players. Shaqiri, Glen Johnson, Afellay, and Wollscheid will improve them.

Spurs are in the Europa league, unless they have an early exit and they shouldn't they have Thursday night football in the far outposts of Europe and league games on Sunday. Long travel times with a quick turnaround.

My point was saying Stoke should be an "easy win" is really a little too confident for the team they've put together and the challenges face Spurs.

Reactions: Z4CH3B99
I didn't say they are "good," but they can be a tricky side. Hughes is a good manager.

And like I said, with their transfers in, they could be quite dangerous. They are not going to challenge for top 4 but I could see top 10again. They were 9th last season and now have some bettet players. Shaqiri, Glen Johnson, Afellay, and Wollscheid will improve them.

Spurs are in the Europa league, unless they have an early exit and they shouldn't they have Thursday night football in the far outposts of Europe and league games on Sunday. Long travel times with a quick turnaround.

My point was saying Stoke should be an "easy win" is really a little too confident for the team they've put together and the challenges face Spurs.
Honestly I expect Spurs to drop out of the top 7. They're a team that could have afforded to plug up the holes in their ship and instead decided to set sail with a weaker hull. (Hope I used those ship analogies correctly) These quick turnarounds aren't going to help anything either.

Reactions: CTID
Doing well in the Europa League is a double edged sword. Unless you have a very good team in a weaker league it can cost you from challenging for the league title. Having good depth is a key. I'm not sure Spurs have the kind of depth, I know they don't, to go deep in this tournament and make top 4.

Frankly would probably be a good idea for them to go balls to the wall in the Europa League and win the whole thing to qualify for the Champions League.

Doing well in the Europa League is a double edged sword. Unless you have a very good team in a weaker league it can cost you from challenging for the league title. Having good depth is a key. I'm not sure Spurs have the kind of depth, I know they don't, to go deep in this tournament and make top 4.

Frankly would probably be a good idea for them to go balls to the wall in the Europa League and win the whole thing to qualify for the Champions League.
I'm pretty sure that's the only way that they are going to qualify for the the champions league. Yet, knowing Spurs they will some how manage to screw up both and fire their coach and sell Harry Kane. Lol

I'm pretty sure that's the only way that they are going to qualify for the the champions league. Yet, knowing Spurs they will some how manage to screw up both and fire their coach and sell Harry Kane. Lol

All I can say to that is, yes. ;)

Rangers FC

Being born in or around Scotland's biggest city. You support one of two teams. Rangers or Celtic. My family are Rangers fans, so, naturally, i was born a rangers supporter. Grew up surrounded in a football culture which was steeped in emotion, passion, tragedy, hate and loyalty you will struggle to find anywhere else in sport.

ಠ_ಠ

Spurs have tons of money, domestic/foreign support and their fans expect great things out of the team. The team never performs up to those expectations and the front office makes drastic decisions that don't do anything to help the situation. They're basically the Toronto FC of the BPL.

Rangers FC

Being born in or around Scotland's biggest city. You support one of two teams. Rangers or Celtic. My family are Rangers fans, so, naturally, i was born a rangers supporter. Grew up surrounded in a football culture which was steeped in emotion, passion, tragedy, hate and loyalty you will struggle to find anywhere else in sport.
As a Catholic I'm not a fan of the chants (Billy's Boys) sung by Rangers fans about being up to their knees in Catholic blood. Those chants aren't really accurate if you read up on the history of the battles referenced in the song/chant. However, all that is besides the point.

I'm a fan of the support that they get week in and week out despite being in a lower division in Scotland of all places. They sure are passionate and rowdy!

I came here to talk about how I came to be a Spurs fan and what do I find but a Spurs-bashing thread

CshoDXz.jpg

Reactions: NYCFCfan
I came here to talk about how I came to be a Spurs fan and what do I find but a Spurs-bashing thread

CshoDXz.jpg
I'm not bashing. I'm merely commenting from a neutrals perspective. Lol

Is that Mr. Rodgers? (I only know who he is because of a novelty shop in Flagstaff, Arizona! Lol)

Would still love to hear how you became a Spurs fan.

Reactions: CTID

CshoDXz.jpg
[/QUOT

CshoDXz.jpg
I'm not bashing either, pal. If you weren't so thin skinned you'd read what was written and see it was more a commentary on how Stoke City won't be an easy win because they've upgraded and Spurs are in Europa League making things tougher.

Frankly, if you find this "bashing" you maybe haven't had a lot of experience with any sort of criticism in your life. Franly, you'll probably find the same sentiments elsewhere in professionally done or blog style previews of the Premier League season.

Not once has anyone said "Spurs suck", etc. Relax, and tell us why you like them. I can assure you I wasn't " bashing" any team and I don't think anyone else was either.

Last edited:
Born in Australia, Parents from Italy(dad is from sicily) so naturally i follow Italy.

I'm an Inter fan, like my dad. Im guessing thats how i became one when i was a kid, my 3 other brothers are juve fans though.

Vancouver Whitecaps - I have followed MLS since its inception, but never really supported a team, until i visited Vancouver and man what a great city. Decided to follow them. They are my west team now.

NY Yankees - Greatest city on the planet and followed the Yankees since i was young.

NY Giants - Became an NFL fan later in life, was always going to support a NYC team. Picked the Giants over the Jets for its history and the Jets seemed like a mess....

NYCFC - Was always waiting for a proper NYC team. The Red Bulls threw a lot of history away when they ditched the Metrostars.

CshoDXz.jpg
This is an NYCFC Forum. However, do to us being an expansion team there are fans of teams from all over the world here. Quite frankly I don't care what anyone says about those teams and who is a fan of who. As long as insults aren't directed at members for no reason it's free game. Say whatever you want.
For example. If someone says your club is shit in this section (appropriate section for said comment as its 'Other Football') and its in a related post (premier league discussion, so on) you're within your right to give it back.
However, if someone says only INSERT INSULT HERE like the Spurs. Then that's another story.
Being our first year we are in a tough spot. Other club specific forum are just that. Club specific. Whereas we are NYCFC specific but almost have to cater to general football discussion and almost demand our member base respect opposing out-of-country club affiliation. Due to the fact 99% of those here are tied to other clubs.
Hopefully in due time we can slowly weed this out and people come here solely as NYCFC fans.