How YOU Doin’? | NYCFC 2022 Season Discussion

Availability of Callens, Taty Castellanos, Martins, Morales, Keaton Parks, and Tinnerholm since Cushing took over.

Screen Shot 2022-09-05 at 2.03.35 PM.png
Red means unavailable (injury/illness/suspension). Yellow is partially unavailable. A "0" with no fill means coach's decision/rest. Red with no number means player was transferred.
Taty's pre-transfer absences were due to illness and yellow card suspension.
Sixteen (16) games. The first choice CB pairing was available for 6 and part of a 7th, and played 5 and part of a sixth.Fewer than half no matter how you count.
The Columbus game was tied when Callens left due to injury.
The Charlotte game was tied when Morales left due to injury.
The DC United game was tied when Tinnerholm left due to injury.

ETA: All six players available 0 games.
Five of the six players fully available in 0 games.
Four of the six fully available in 4 counting Tay's last game even though he left after 61.
Three of the six or fewer fully available in 12 games.

Last edited:
Availability of Callens, Taty Castellanos, Martins, Morales, Keaton Parks, and Tinnerholm since Cushing took over.

View attachment 12237
Red means unavailable (injury/illness/suspension). Yellow is partially unavailable. A "0" with no fill means coach's decision/rest. Red with no number means player was transferred.
Taty's pre-transfer absences were due to illness and yellow card suspension.
Sixteen (16) games. The first choice CB pairing was available for 6 and part of a 7th, and played 5 and part of a sixth.Fewer than half no matter how you count.
The Columbus game was tied when Callens left due to injury.
The Charlotte game was tied when Morales left due to injury.
The DC United game was tied when Tinnerholm left due to injury.

ETA: All six players available 0 games.
Five of the six players fully available in full 0 games.
Four of the six fully available in 4 counting Tay's last game even though he left after 61.
Three of the six or fewer fully available in 12 games.
Brutal.

Additional season notes.

With Taty the team scored 0 or 1 goal 11 times in 21 games.
Since Taty 5 times in 8 games.
Not all that different.

With Taty NYCFC scored 3 goals or better 6 times in 21 games.
Since Taty 0 times in 8 games.
Very, very different.

Shutouts
With Taty 11/21 (not accounting for games missed - I just didn't bother to check).
Since 2/8.
Obviously many reasons for this besides Taty.

Also: When earning a clean sheet, NYCFC scored 0-1 goals 7 times, 2 goals 4x, 3+ goals twice.
Avg Goals scored in 11 shutouts (excluding the pair of 3+ goal games) = 1.09
Record 8-0-3
Avg Goals in all games since Taty 1.13
Record 1-6-1

The shutouts covered a lot of sins. Tentatively, I think defense is more to blame for the slump than offense. But I could be convinced otherwise.
ETA: You cannot ask your defense to pitch clean sheets regularly. The offense has been spotty and unreliable all year even with Taty here, and that was somewhat camouflaged by 26 goals scored in 6 games. In the other 18 games while Taty was here, NYCFC scored just 19 goals

Last edited:
Injuries are a problem but I’m not in the club of that’s an excuse for why the team has one win in 8 games. Played without Parks and Tinnerholm during important stretch last year. We also have a pretty darn good “back up” CB in Maxine Chanot this season. There is more to this than injuries. Maybe things turn around when everyone is healthy. We will see.

Reactions: Kjbert and Shwafta
Roster Issues, which I'm putting here to keep my thoughts of the day together:
  • Several weeks ago in mid-July I pointed out that since last summer the team had lost more players than it brought in. Taty's departure was assumed in that analysis. We since added Pellegrini. Depending on how you count some edge cases, the count is still 7 departures and 4-6 incoming. Hard to tell how valid the body count measuring stick is in a capped league with secret money, and we don't know if the team is leaving funds unspent or spent more on fewer players.
  • Important to mention all cap money, GAM, and regular TAM costs the club nothing so it is not a cost saving measure if not spent. Some rolls over and some is just lost. DP salaries and fees paid above the max line and the voluntary TAM do cost or save, depending. AFAIK voluntary TAM is completely opaque to outsiders. It's fair enough to say we have lost depth; harder though to ID the reason why.
  • Also fair to say that - at best - we could have plugged half or fewer of our current injury count.
  • I'm at least moderately disappointed in Martins as a DP, though only due to injuries. He has missed 6 games for injuries. Not terrible, but the upside on a DP center back is so limited you better have de minimis downside. Per FBRef, he played just 20/34 games for Yokohama in 2020 so there is some history.
  • Forwards: since the start of 2021 we have acquired 4 -- Magno, Thiago, Pereira and Pellegrini. Pereira has played both M and F so I counted him. We've only lost 3: Medina, Shradi and Castellanos. Let me know if you think I miscounted anybody. Maybe we should have done better. But we're not really below club average. We have 5-6, depending on who you count. The Union has 4 according to the MLS roster page. Montreal has 7, Austin 6, and LAFC somehow has 9, all excluding injured list, unavailable or loaned out. Do we need more? Or better? If more, what positions get cut?
  • Taty Castellanos is now listed as a DP on the MLS website. I'm 98% certain he was not so listed before he left. This MLS web page is unreliable, but it also could mean that since he was loaned out and his DP status does not matter, the club made a bookkeeping entry converting some of the salary they are not paying him (but theoretically would if he were here) from GAM/TAM to DP excess. But I don't think that accomplishes anything so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:
I'm not doing well...physically...mentally...spiritually...family...soccerly
I don’t know if you are saying these things in jest, but it does sound like a cry for help… And since that is very serious, I recommend talking to a doctor as well as I recommend mental health therapy. These people can help with everything mentioned above except perhaps that last one.

Injuries are a problem but I’m not in the club of that’s an excuse for why the team has one win in 8 games. Played without Parks and Tinnerholm during important stretch last year. We also have a pretty darn good “back up” CB in Maxine Chanot this season. There is more to this than injuries. Maybe things turn around when everyone is healthy. We will see.
I don't know about that. If you look at mgarbowski mgarbowski's chart, we were 4-4-1 when Callens played the full 90. We're 1-0-6 without him, including the game in Columbus where we conceded the deciding goal about two minutes after he went out.

Aside from Keaton, I think he's the guy we're missing the most right now. He's been our rock.

I'm not doing well...physically...mentally...spiritually...family...soccerly
Man, that doesn't sound good. But JCMore JCMore is right, reach out. I got pretty much destroyed myself -- in every way -- caring for Mom before she died at the end of May (Alzheimer's is a wildfire). It was a rough summer. The grief counselors from Community Hospice helped immensely.

I don't know about that. If you look at mgarbowski mgarbowski's chart, we were 4-4-1 when Callens played the full 90. We're 1-0-6 without him, including the game in Columbus where we conceded the deciding goal about two minutes after he went out.

Aside from Keaton, I think he's the guy we're missing the most right now. He's been our rock.
Love Callens and he is a rock for this team. But 1-0-6 should be unacceptable (loses to DC United and Charlotte at home especially).
Hope his return is what the team needs but if Callens is that important he should ask for 8 million.

Reactions: KevinJRogers
Love Callens and he is a rock for this team. But 1-0-6 should be unacceptable (loses to DC United and Charlotte at home especially).
Hope his return is what the team needs but if Callens is that important he should ask for 8 million.
I think he's very much that important, although I wouldn't stick my neck out on the numbers. LOL

One of the things we're missing most is the way Callens sets our line. It's something Maxime doesn't seem to do quite as well, and it's a significant factor.

That's not a knock on Chanot, by the way. And I don't think one-v-one defending is a problem, either. It's all in the where and when we're absorbing attacks. It's just way too easy for opponents to get a shot on frame now, from practically any range. One little mistake, one moment of confusion or hesitation, and Johnson is a dead duck.

Reactions: VernonJohn
I don’t know if you are saying these things in jest, but it does sound like a cry for help… And since that is very serious, I recommend talking to a doctor as well as I recommend mental health therapy. These people can help with everything mentioned above except perhaps that last one.
Man, that doesn't sound good. But JCMore JCMore is right, reach out. I got pretty much destroyed myself -- in every way -- caring for Mom before she died at the end of May (Alzheimer's is a wildfire). It was a rough summer. The grief counselors from Community Hospice helped immensely.
We're going through a similar thing Kevin. But I'm at the early stages with my father. I'm okay. It's just difficult.

NYCFC winning would make me feel better in some ways, in others, not.

We're going through a similar thing Kevin. But I'm at the early stages with my father. I'm okay. It's just difficult.

NYCFC winning would make me feel better in some ways, in others, not.
If I can help in any way, DM me. I have a lot of experience, over 15 years taking care of Mom, the last eight around the clock, 24/7. And in my usual fashion, if there was a mistake to be made, I probably made it. So, at the very least I can tell you what not to do.

We are now at risk of not hosting a home playoff match. Orlando is 3 points behind us with a game in hand.

Where would that home playoff game even be held?

Great question. I have 800 “credits” and our games are tomorrow night 8 pm at Citi Field, at RedBull and 1 Yankee stadium game. I was told I can’t use my credits for the Campeones Cup.

Was banking on a home playoff game