Ideal Stadium location & stadium features?

Buckley

Registered
Donor
Seasoned Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
516/845
I am 110% backing a stadium next to yankee stadium. Right next to the subway, plenty of bars in the area. As far as the stadium goes I hope they build something like Sporting Park (SKC) with a members only beer garden that they have open 3 hours prior to kick off so you can pre game right in the stadium! They also have terrace seating which would be available to purchase either as a season ticket or individual game where you get a table with a few seats and you can order drinks and food and have them delivered right to your seat. Their stadium also has great sight lines, and their seats are the closest to the pitch than any other MLS stadium. I am not a fan of the whole "bowl" design like red bull arena I like the single tier look. For those of you who don't know what sporting park looks like I have posted a pic below. :)
soc_wcqusaant_11.jpg

My least favorite choice would be a stadium in the Bronx. But it's from a purely selfish point of view. I live in Queens and I'm still a little bitter about losing out on the Flushing Meadows prospect.

Though after learning that NYCFC is in partnership with the Yankees it makes sense that the Mets may have a problem with their competition so close to home.

edit: I do love the idea of a members/supporters beer garden in-house though.

Beer garden isn't really one of the first things that should come to mind (far more important features) though nothing wrong with the idea. There should be one unique feature that makes the stadium stand out completely from anything else. For instance I like that strange looking stand at the Seattle stadium its different. Many bowl type stadiums are boring (I don't compare Etihad or Emirates in that but there's some terribly bland bowl stadiums in the UK) so personally I kind of favour open ends. One key question is will the site be big enough for any further expansion in later years?

As for single tiers maybe one stand should be a little steeper. Some people like a higher vantage point and get a far better view of the patterns of play.

Reactions: Gene
I'd love a smaller stadium that seats around 30K. Compact and close to the pitch. Right on top of the field. Players will tell you they hate visiting teams with stadiums like this.
Not really concerned with amenities. I've been to a few games and you eat and drink before hand, stand the whole half, piss, stand the next half and then eat and drink some more after the game. Lol

I'm with Vinjay & Dan.

I'm an old grouchy, crabby, dinosaur type of guy who goes to sporting events to see the games and really couldn't care less about any amenities. I also drink and eat before entering any stadium, because I'll be damned if I'm going to shell out $10 for swill like Bud Lite/Coors Lite/Miller Lite. (Told you I was a grump. :mad: )

I'm an upper deck sort of guy. I wouldn't mind a tiered venue at all and only hope the new stadium is subway accessible, so it doesn't matter to me if it's in the Bronx, Queens, or even Brooklyn.

The beer garden thing is just a cool idea, far from something I'd want much less expect. RBNY even has something similarish. It's just a way to drum up interest and a feeling of being a part of the team.

I think we can damn near expect Brooklyn or Bronx Breweries to have some sort of contract with NYCFC, hell even RB sells Goose Island (InBev, I know) and Brooklyn.

I'm a second tier guy as well. While I enjoy the noise and excitement that comes with sitting near Supporter's Groups, I mostly goto games with my wife (and soon enough, my daughter) so it's nice to just sit back and enjoy a good game...with the occasional cheering.

All-in-all I don't care where they place NYCFC, I'll be there regardless. If it's within city limits it's guaranteed to be accessible by Mass Transit.

Yeah well whatever they do the bowl design (like red bull arena) is meh for me. I feel though they should build it 22k seats max to start out with with room for expansion. Yes this is NYC but I don't see us drawing 30k+ every game. But here is a vid of the members club/beer garden skc has in their stadium.

Y'all mentioned the size, and I'm really curious to see how big they make this stadium. 30+ might be too big to start with, but if soccer keeps growing at its current pace that could very quickly become too small, and you don't want to have to be looking for a new stadium site in ten years. That's why I think the site they pick has to be chosen with the potential for expansion later on down the line. I'm sure that makes picking a site more difficult.

Reactions: Soccerfanatic94
Playing at a temp stadium for the time being will give us a good idea of how many people will come to the game.
Then again it will be too late to change the dynamics of the stadium if the plan is already laid out and permits signed.

Playing at a temp stadium for the time being will give us a good idea of how many people will come to the game.
Then again it will be too late to change the dynamics of the stadium if the plan is already laid out and permits signed.

Also for this reason I hope that in the first year at Yankee Stadium will there be an average attendance of over 30k fans to have a new soccer stadium with a greater capacity !!!!

Story in the NY Post today that was considered worthy of front page attention. DeBlasio has refused to use taxpayer money to bail out the Citibike group (which is relatively new as some people on this forum should be fully aware.) Wonder what the "powers that be" over at NYCFC HQ thought of that story its certainly another timely reminder of how DeBlasio operates.

Story in the NY Post today that was considered worthy of front page attention. DeBlasio has refused to use taxpayer money to bail out the Citibike group (which is relatively new as some people on this forum should be fully aware.) Wonder what the "powers that be" over at NYCFC HQ thought of that story its certainly another timely reminder of how DeBlasio operates.

Ah, but the only "bailout" we are concerned with is the Bronx garages.. and that is about NYCFC buying 3 of their lots for the proposed stadium near YS.
The bondholders have been patient so far, but Wall Street hates public defaults so a certain amount of pressure rests with the City on this matter.

I was originally rooting for Queens and possibly Long Island (LIRR-accessible) for selfish reasons since I live in the area but having one in the Bronx doesn't sound that bad if it's really happening with the lots. As long as it's in NY, subway accessible, and safe to get to!

Reactions: einwindir
I was originally rooting for Queens and possibly Long Island (LIRR-accessible) for selfish reasons since I live in the area but having one in the Bronx doesn't sound that bad if it's really happening with the lots. As long as it's in NY, subway accessible, and safe to get to!

I got a feeling that when MLS ran into a wall in regards to a stadium in Queens, that was when they decided to hand over the torch to Yankees and City Football Group.. You need serious financial and political clout to get a project like this off ground in NYC

Yeah with the clout Yankees has and the Abu Dhabi financial support it shouldn't be an issue. Everything is done in my opinion. Especially when they are announcing a date within the month.

Reactions: Soccerfanatic94
Yeah with the clout Yankees has and the Abu Dhabi financial support it shouldn't be an issue. Everything is done in my opinion. Especially when they are announcing a date within the month.

It's only an agreement on a temporary arrangement they are due to announce within the month (and dare I say it, we were told that this announcement would come out "within a month" back when City held Kreis' press conference back at the start of January). I gather that they still haven't even worked out which borough a permanent stadium would be situated in. Everywhere they turn, public opinion forces a retranchment.

I'm sure something will be arranged in due course. It just could be quite a while before a permanent stadium can be agreed upon.

Reactions: NYCFC_Dan
It's only an agreement on a temporary arrangement they are due to announce within the month (and dare I say it, we were told that this announcement would come out "within a month" back when City held Kreis' press conference back at the start of January). I gather that they still haven't even worked out which borough a permanent stadium would be situated in. Everywhere they turn, public opinion forces a retranchment.

I'm sure something will be arranged in due course. It just could be quite a while before a permanent stadium can be agreed upon.

So far everywhere MCFC have gone with a club so has their airline. So I'm sure they're going to have some kind of a deal going with the city.
Etihad has straight flights to Melbourne now and so on.

Reactions: skelly412
So far everywhere MCFC have gone with a club so has their airline. So I'm sure they're going to have some kind of a deal going with the city.
Etihad has straight flights to Melbourne now and so on.

This is true, although they did try to buy both Sydney clubs first, before acquiring Melbourne Heart.

At any rate, very interested to see what news does eventually emerge. Just a shame that those Pier 40 stories were never going to be realistic, because that would've been an amazing place to have a stadium.

This is true, although they did try to buy both Sydney clubs first, before acquiring Melbourne Heart.

At any rate, very interested to see what news does eventually emerge. Just a shame that those Pier 40 stories were never going to be realistic, because that would've been an amazing place to have a stadium.

I thought they declined WSW but tried to buy Sydney FC?..

Anyway, Pier 40 would have created a nimby meltdown of epic proportion..

I thought they declined WSW but tried to buy Sydney FC?..

Anyway, Pier 40 would have created a nimby meltdown of epic proportion..

Something like that. They were linked to both Sydney clubs, at any rate.