If you're going to come to a game, you should come for 90+.

Ive always found it odd when watching nfl games, even if a home team is winning by miles into the last quarter, people still leave. By the end its a fairly empty stadium.

I also notice that fans tend to arrive late for games in North America as well.

this reminds me of that thread (or was a facebook post?) where someone got on Third Rail members' case about not showing up to help out with painting tifo last year.

I think that poster didn't have a job / no school / no commitments and everyone got on his case about having jobs / family commitments taking priority on NYCFC.

In all my adult years in sporting culture, this debate always rears its ugly head, and always after a huge loss or a losing season. Each and every time, it results in mudslinger, profanity, and in extreme cases violence. Because of that I have come to the conclusion many years ago that ridiculing, questioning, and judging any type of fan, whether a band wagoneer, or a staunch fanatic, creates a divisive culture and alienates whomever is offended. It is a microcosm of the ills that affect our society at large, in that we never seem to learn to live and let live. Allow others to enjoy their fandom without question. So long as they are not doing anything illegal, or disrespectful to anyone, why would it bother anyone how they enjoy a game or not. There is a myriad of reasons why a person is a fan. Trying to define what that is for them is disrespectful to one’s individuality.

I stayed for all 90+ only to scream proudly "Fuck you Lampard" ;)
My car broke down the night before and I was scrambling to get it fixed before monday (unsuccessful btw) and i missed this game (THANKFULLY) but man I would have loved to be there to boo frank as he stepped on for the first time this year.

Reactions: Kevin
I left early. I never leave early. But I was kind of sad, and couldn't take much more. I took my father to his first NYCFC game for his birthday, after both of us having talked about it and having looked forward to it for months. I was so excited to show off the team and the atmosphere about which I had been so proudly bragging to him. It obviously didn't go as planned. That is sports, and we still drank beer, rooted and had a blast, but for me, it was a little disappointing from the sentimental side. And it turned out that if I left before the final whistle, I had an opportunity to make it back in time to go to dinner with my family (which I originally had planned to skip). I wasn't expecting the shit-show that unfolded, so I took the opportunity. I'm still as embarrassingly obsessed as anyone. I still wore my gear the next day. I still planned an NYCFC-themed birthday party for my kid the next day. I still spent endless hours on here. I will still walk into an empty stadium way too early on Sunday. Every situation is different.

In all my adult years in sporting culture, this debate always rears its ugly head, and always after a huge loss or a losing season. Each and every time, it results in mudslinger, profanity, and in extreme cases violence. Because of that I have come to the conclusion many years ago that ridiculing, questioning, and judging any type of fan, whether a band wagoneer, or a staunch fanatic, creates a divisive culture and alienates whomever is offended. It is a microcosm of the ills that affect our society at large, in that we never seem to learn to live and let live. Allow others to enjoy their fandom without question. So long as they are not doing anything illegal, or disrespectful to anyone, why would it bother anyone how they enjoy a game or not. There is a myriad of reasons why a person is a fan. Trying to define what that is for them is disrespectful to one’s individuality.
well said.

I left at five-nil if anyone wants to judge me go ahead it's a free country. I have a 2 hour train ride back to Connecticut and was able to make a late family dinner and do something with the remainder of my Saturday night. It was a miserable situation , Not sure what sitting there torturing myself for another 20 plus minutes would have accomplished. I'm still on here. I'm still going to take a train down on Metro North and be there Sunday. Don't care about the team any less. Some people might have left because they DO CARE and it hurts too much sitting though something like that. We have different ways of dealing with things. No one can pretend to know what's in another man (or Woman)'s heart.

Last edited:
Ive always found it odd when watching nfl games, even if a home team is winning by miles into the last quarter, people still leave. By the end its a fairly empty stadium.

I also notice that fans tend to arrive late for games in North America as well.
I think a large cause of that is the parking lots. A friend of mine once took me to a Giants game at the Meadowlands and we left at the end of the third quarter to avoid the traffic getting out of the stadium. Got back to the upper east side in maybe half an hour. If we'd stayed until the end of the game she said the trip home would take over two hours, most of that just getting out of the parking lot (which I experienced once after a concert there).

I think a large cause of that is the parking lots. A friend of mine once took me to a Giants game at the Meadowlands and we left at the end of the third quarter to avoid the traffic getting out of the stadium. Got back to the upper east side in maybe half an hour. If we'd stayed until the end of the game she said the trip home would take over two hours, most of that just getting out of the parking lot (which I experienced once after a concert there).
I always pack a cooler of food and drinks for AFTER the game when I go to the Meadowlands

I always pack a cooler of food and drinks for AFTER the game when I go to the Meadowlands
Well I gotta say, I like that a lot more than leaving early. 90 minutes, 9 innings, whatever. Heck, let's play two.

Reactions: Schwallacus
This team seems to have a large contingent of fans very intent on enforcing their style of fandom on others. Maybe it's normal - this is the only team I follow that I actively follow/hang out on forums/etc.

You summed up my feelings well. Which I guess makes us part of the problem, since we're over here telling people not to do anything illegal or disrespectful. :rolleyes:

This team seems to have a large contingent of fans very intent on enforcing their style of fandom on others. Maybe it's normal - this is the only team I follow that I actively follow/hang out on forums/etc.

You summed up my feelings well. Which I guess makes us part of the problem, since we're over here telling people not to do anything illegal or disrespectful. :rolleyes:
this is par for the course for all fans groups in MLS, just sayin'. What is a fan? What is a supporter? I'm a true supporter! No you're not! etc. Goes on everywhere

Where I question and will probably continue to do so is where IMO "fan" or "supporter" behavior is valued above norms of human decency.

I don't like mob mentality. I don't like people doing things from a crowd that a normal human being would never do if acting in full view as an individual.

I, for one, do not want our stands to resemble an Internet comment section.