Kreis Officially Out At NYCFC

You are correct regarding the roster, but I judged JK on his lack of tactical acumen. His short comings were obvious.
He never learned from his mistakes and always took a defensive approach and we were rarely a cohesive unit in either defence or attack.

I cant comment on his man management, but his interviews and dissing of the DPs didn't paint a good impression, or one of a leader who commanded respect and authority.

Hey I can't argue with what you are saying, truth is the in game management and communication, we as fans down really know the full details. We aren't in the locker room but at the end of the day, this is a results business and Kreis didn't get the results this year. No one is arguing that. My argument is that it takes time to get results. Certainly more then 1 season. We shall see where we are this time next year, hopefully in a better spot.

Reactions: MumonA
Hey I can't argue with what you are saying, truth is the in game management and communication, we as fans down really know the full details. We aren't in the locker room but at the end of the day, this is a results business and Kreis didn't get the results this year. No one is arguing that. My argument is that it takes time to get results. Certainly more then 1 season. We shall see where we are this time next year, hopefully in a better spot.
As part of the other side of thinking from me, what can you point to this year that Kresi did, that would foreshadow improvement in year 2?

Have they actually been a joke?

I mean, there have been some questionable decisions, this being one of them. But what else has shown they are a "complete joke"?

Off the top of my head, I'm thinking the Lampard situation was poorly handled, a mistake, agreed. Helping to push Pirlo onto this team. Potentially a mistake, but I definitely see why they would want that to happen.

And now firing Kreis. Again, questionable decision, but I would hardly call it "a complete joke". There are rumors that he lost the locker room, and if that was indeed the case, then I'm not sure why anyone, even the biggest of Kreis supporters would still want him around. I think we need to take an honest wait-and-see approach to see who is hired next and what next steps are before deciding that our management is a complete joke.

Honestly, I think CFG has made several mistakes so far in this young franchise. They have some learning and growing to do and I hope they have already experienced a lot of that. I'm sure there is a TON to learn when managing a franchise in MLS where the rules are just so inherently different than what they are used to in the PL. Calling them "a complete joke" though, just seems like a hyperbole to the max (and I know, I know, this board is full of hyperboles)

Soup, Great question and I will point out again the following things:

Lampardgate, No stadium situation, Front office staff resigning left and right, firing their coaching staff, turning over the roster over from the start of the season to the the end of the season almost completely. NO STADIUM, not even close of making progress on the stadium front, ONE OF THE WORST TEAMS IN MLS, the Pirlo situation.

Ummm yea so I think this year has been brutal/joke.

Reactions: whill4

Lampardgate, No stadium situation, Front office staff resigning left and right, firing their coaching staff, turning over the roster over from the start of the season to the the end of the season almost completely. NO STADIUM, not even close of making progress on the stadium front, ONE OF THE WORST TEAMS IN MLS, the Pirlo situation.

the stadium ? you have to be serious, everyone knows it take years to even get any plan approved in this city, anyone who thought a stadium deal would be done now is naive. took barclays like 10 years to finally open and was after all the legalities to it and red tape

as for everything else i agree except the One of the worst teams in the MLS.....i mean duh ? its an expansion team honestly outside of seattle and i think chicago back in the day were successful. who the hell thought wed be world beaters in day one? especially when we got scraps from other teams. Sure the international additions were not the greatest but again who expected it to be easy first year?

Reactions: gbservis and Gene
As part of the other side of thinking from me, what can you point to this year that Kresi did, that would foreshadow improvement in year 2?
Honestly, if you look at all of our games, what I would point out is that with the exception of a handful, we were in every game with a chance to win or get some points. However because of just putrid mental and defensive breakdowns by, lets face it, very bad players, we lost many games. If you look at our passing and possession, in terms of numbers, it was superior to a lot of the teams when we played them. This tells me even with new players switching in and out, that Kreis was getting to the players in terms of being patient and looking for the "action" passes. But again when you have below MLS players in key positions in the midfield and backline, its only a matter of time before it breaks down and you give up a cheap goal, as evidence with many games.

Again keep in mind this was with the likes of Grabavoy, Wingert, Ballouchy, McNamara playing significant time for us. Before anyone says, well yea that was the problem, Kreis played these scrubs. My response would be, well then who else did he have to put in there spot? But we already had this argument before, no need to rehash it.

So the bottom line is this. We were competitive in most of our games with a chance to win or get points, and how many late goals did we give up that costs us points? Again mind you with a very flawed team. Again it takes some time, certainly more then a season to create winner.

the stadium ? you have to be serious, everyone knows it take years to even get any plan approved in this city, anyone who thought a stadium deal would be done now is naive. took barclays like 10 years to finally open and was after all the legalities to it and red tape

as for everything else i agree except the One of the worst teams in the MLS.....i mean duh ? its an expansion team honestly outside of seattle and i think chicago back in the day were successful. who the hell thought wed be world beaters in day one? especially when we got scraps from other teams. Sure the international additions were not the greatest but again who expected it to be easy first year?

No doubt it takes time, I agree with you, but by one over a couple of years into this, you would think there would be some progress made. And yes I agree, it is an expansion team, that was the least of my complaints. I have been saying this for a long time.

After all that has been said about this situation, I think I speak for all of you, when I say this. I just hope whoever they bring in, they have more patience with and can take us to the promise land and be with this team for a long time.

Reactions: Kjbert
No doubt it takes time, I agree with you, but by one over a couple of years into this, you would think there would be some progress made. And yes I agree, it is an expansion team, that was the least of my complaints. I have been saying this for a long time.

the change in administration im sure hurt, and maybe CFG is being cheap and underestimated how NYC works in terms of approvals? we are all going by the public records and "insider" knowledge here. who is to say talks have happened behind close doors with different people who can influence the situations. To me i feel we dont fully know all details behind any deal the city is involved in and this is no different.

My argument is that it takes time to get results. Certainly more then 1 season. We shall see where we are this time next year, hopefully in a better spot.

Agreed in principal (time to get results), us being a new and wealthy club is certainly adding more pressure and impatience.
It's understandable, as all of us want Nyc to make a huge impact in MLS (the club to grow and be a huge part of the city etc..)
I'm convinced we will, but as long as we under achieve, it will be detrimental to the whole project ~(hate that word).

Reactions: S1ARK5
Agreed in principal (time to get results), us being a new and wealthy club is certainly adding more pressure and impatience.
It's understandable, as all of us want Nyc to make a huge impact in MLS (the club to grow and be a huge part of the city etc..)
I'm convinced we will, but as long as we under achieve, it will be detrimental to the whole project ~(hate that word).

Yea that word project makes me cringe. I have heard Villa, Kreis, CFG, Lampard, Pirlo, used MANY MANY times. Truth is, every team in MLS when they were created, was a project but no need to use that term every chance you get. Sheesh.

After all that has been said about this situation, I think I speak for all of you, when I say this. I just hope whoever they bring in, they have more patience with and can take us to the promise land and be with this team for a long time.
Patience is only helpful if you are headed in the right direction. Swing the axe the minute it becomes clear the guy has no clue.

The no clue point this year was the Wingert comments for me.

I can't figure out how Reyna has kept his job.

Easy, because CFG have decided to not treat us like a MLS franchise, they have decided to treat us like a NFL/MLB franchise. In the NFL/MLB you have this wonderful thing called a front office that works out most of the details on what trades might be available and what you can do given your cap space. This leaves the head coach more time to put his team together and actually coach.

I think what CFG have decided is that they want the best tactician/man manager that they can get, and if he does not know the MLS salary cap rules that it is fine; CFG will simply offload that part of the job onto someone who knows the rules for a year or two. Who knows maybe this is the start of something revolutionary in the MLS. Having a real front office in the style of the NFL/MLB might just be our big competitive advantage for awhile.

Easy, because CFG have decided to not treat us like a MLS franchise, they have decided to treat us like a NFL/MLB franchise. In the NFL/MLB you have this wonderful thing called a front office that works out most of the details on what trades might be available and what you can do given your cap space. This leaves the head coach more time to put his team together and actually coach.

I think what CFG have decided is that they want the best tactician/man manager that they can get, and if he does not know the MLS salary cap rules that it is fine; CFG will simply offload that part of the job onto someone who knows the rules for a year or two. Who knows maybe this is the start of something revolutionary in the MLS. Having a real front office in the style of the NFL/MLB might just be our big competitive advantage for awhile.
The player acquisition front has been almost as bad as the coaching though.

Shelton stands out to me. In picking a non GA draft pick at 2, he needs to be SO much better than the GA guys available for it to offset the cap hit you are taking on. Not that I don't like Shelton, but he is not such an amazing talent that it justified skipping say Roldan, an equal talent, who would not affect the cap.

• Lampardgate - sure, I hear ya. Mistake
  • No stadium situation - as someone else already pointed out, this is a much more difficult process. This is one that has to be navigated carefully and done right. No quick easy fix and end up outside the city or in a shitty spot. This one I would love to have more clarity on, but this gets some leniency from me on.
  • Front office staff resigning left and right - I'm not quite sure what you're referring to here? I know there was the rumor that Glick was out but that turned out to be false. Maybe I am missing something.
  • Firing the coaching staff - I still think the jury is still out on this.
  • Turning over the roster from the beginning - ummmm, what else did you expect here? The team was awful. Some of the players, terrible. This was a brand new team with guys from an expansion draft. If they hadn't turned over the roster over the year, I would be thinking that ownership did not care at all
  • No stadium is listed again
  • Worst teams in MLS - yup, see roster turnover, coaching change may be playing into this
  • Pirlo situation - I hear ya, Pirlo is god, but he might not fit here and it seems as though they forced him on us.
Maybe I'm missing the punchline.

My optic nerves are getting sore from all of the eye rolling I've been doing reading all of the outrage about an expansion team not making the playoffs.

On what planet are the playoffs the barometer for expansion team success?

I support replacing Kries because of his love of wtf starting 11's but enough with playoff stuff please.

The official line that Kreis was let go because we didn't make the playoffs sounds like total BS to me, especially after a season in which CFG allowed Lampard to skip the first 6 months of the year.

I suspect that the mid-season overhaul of Pirlo Angelino/Iraola was done without Kreis having a lot of say or decision making and that he wasn't happy about it.

I also suspect that CFG was not happy with one of the main gripes from this forum all season -- the failure to develop our young talent. We have a very solid core of young talent -- Mix, McNamara, Poku, Mullins, Shelton (remember when he was talked about as a Rookie of the Year candidate?).

It's wild to see so many people opining to do it the old fashioned MLS way. Do we really want to sit through 5-10 years of shitty football? I'm of the mind to get it right sooner rather than later. #COYBIB
Because of the MLS roster rules, there *really isn't* a better way. You have to build through the draft and through intelligent roster management, through smart cap management, and through luck avoiding injuries. You could start a squad with Ronaldo, Lewa, and Mueller, and you'd still have to fill the rest of that roster with scrubs. Those players will look *significantly* worse as a result.

There's really no other way to build for the long haul in MLS than the patient way. And to MLS ownership, that's a feature -- not a bug. The system is set up so that you can win games and sell tickets with minimal investment - they've set it up so that it's next to impossible to buy wins.

We may have been better off getting started up by a Southhampton - a team that understands how to build a strong youth structure and sound roster despite serious resource concerns. Even if you're filthy rich, it genuinely doesn't matter in this league. The patient way is the only way.

Reactions: Gene
The official line that Kreis was let go because we didn't make the playoffs sounds like total BS to me, especially after a season in which CFG allowed Lampard to skip the first 6 months of the year.

I suspect that the mid-season overhaul of Pirlo Angelino/Iraola was done without Kreis having a lot of say or decision making and that he wasn't happy about it.

I also suspect that CFG was not happy with one of the main gripes from this forum all season -- the failure to develop our young talent. We have a very solid core of young talent -- Mix, McNamara, Poku, Mullins, Shelton (remember when he was talked about as a Rookie of the Year candidate?).
It's actually NOT the official line that he was fired for not making the playoffs. That's just what was seized upon because someone poorly organized the press release. You actually have to get further down the page to get at the heart of the matter, where they specifically give the reason he was let go.

Everyone jumps on the first paragraph as an explanation for the firing. Actually, it's expository regarding the frame of reference the decisionmakers used, the lens through which they evaluated his performance, or even the reason he was asked to justify his continuation.

Prior to the start of the season, it was agreed with the coaching team that the securing of a playoff place was an appropriate target for this year. A win rate of less than one in three games and a points tally which was the second lowest in the league is clearly not in line with the targets that were agreed.

While the challenges of building and integrating a new team are recognized, it was felt by the Board, following a comprehensive review, that there was not enough evidence of the dynamics required to improve the performance of the team for the next season and beyond.

Ahhhh - there we get the real reason. His job results were below the expected targets, ergo, he was given the opportunity to re-interview for his job in conjunction with a comprehensive performance review. The findings showed that "the dynamics required to improve the performance of the team for the next season and beyond" were not there in the opinion/s of the decision makers. We don't know where those dynamics were off, whether it was among staff and players or staff and FO, but we know that things weren't meshing. Basically, what a thorough reading reveals is that the FO attitude about the situation is the one many here have had and the one FootyLovin expressed well intra thread. IF he had the proper relationships internally (squad, FO, whatever), then not making the playoffs would not have been a sufficient reason to send him packing.

I'm guessing they looked at decisions, interactions, and spoke with stakeholders. His meeting was a chance to hit a wonder-strike in added time. It missed. When relationships sour, it's time to move on.

Anyway, now you can and have read the same take yet again, but phrased differently. You're welcome.