Kreis Officially Out At NYCFC

It's actually NOT the official line that he was fired for not making the playoffs. That's just what was seized upon because someone poorly organized the press release. You actually have to get further down the page to get at the heart of the matter, where they specifically give the reason he was let go.

Everyone jumps on the first paragraph as an explanation for the firing. Actually, it's expository regarding the frame of reference the decisionmakers used, the lens through which they evaluated his performance, or even the reason he was asked to justify his continuation.

Ahhhh - there we get the real reason. His job results were below the expected targets, ergo, he was given the opportunity to re-interview for his job in conjunction with a comprehensive performance review. The findings showed that "the dynamics required to improve the performance of the team for the next season and beyond" were not there in the opinion/s of the decision makers. We don't know where those dynamics were off, whether it was among staff and players or staff and FO, but we know that things weren't meshing. Basically, what a thorough reading reveals is that the FO attitude about the situation is the one many here have had and the one FootyLovin FootyLovin expressed well intra thread. IF he had the proper relationships internally (squad, FO, whatever), then not making the playoffs would not have been a sufficient reason to send him packing.

I'm guessing they looked at decisions, interactions, and spoke with stakeholders. His meeting was a chance to hit a wonder-strike in added time. It missed. When relationships sour, it's time to move on.

Anyway, now you can and have read the same take yet again, but phrased differently. You're welcome.

'Ergo', you must have scored well on your SATs. Analysis was well-done. Hotty Toddy.

I think it's debateable that Orlando had a better roster than NYCFC. Debateable.

Heath was a heck of a lot closer to the playoffs than we were. And he was paid a fraction of what Kreis made.

How people are still defending Kreis boggles my mind. He had a stated goal to acheive - make the playoffs. Nothing more. Nothing less. He failed.

The player acquisition front has been almost as bad as the coaching though.

Shelton stands out to me. In picking a non GA draft pick at 2, he needs to be SO much better than the GA guys available for it to offset the cap hit you are taking on. Not that I don't like Shelton, but he is not such an amazing talent that it justified skipping say Roldan, an equal talent, who would not affect the cap.

alot of people skipped on that kid

I think it's debateable that Orlando had a better roster than NYCFC. Debateable.

Heath was a heck of a lot closer to the playoffs than we were. And he was paid a fraction of what Kreis made.

How people are still defending Kreis boggles my mind. He had a stated goal to acheive - make the playoffs. Nothing more. Nothing less. He failed.

the supporting cast was better and the their other DP's have been great. I still feel Reyna is left off the hook easily here. because calle, nemec, were brought by him no? those were busts. everyone blames kreis but reyna is to blame as well here.

Patience is only helpful if you are headed in the right direction. Swing the axe the minute it becomes clear the guy has no clue.

The no clue point this year was the Wingert comments for me.
I agree regarding the Wingert comment. To me Wingert is not a pro soccer player, the only good news from my standpoint with this Kreis firing is that we probably have seen the last of Wingert on this team along with probably Grabavoy.

Reactions: Tom in Fairfield CT
I agree regarding the Wingert comment. To me Wingert is not a pro soccer player, the only good news from my standpoint with this Kreis firing is that we probably have seen the last of Wingert on this team along with probably Grabavoy.

At least we can trade wingert + some cash for better players. We're likely going to have to use our one cut on Grabavoy. Grabavoy right now is a good depth player at like $80k-$90k a year. What he is not worth is the $215k salary cap hit we are spending on him.

I don't know why anyone would take Wingert off our hands. I do agree that Grabavoy is the obvious cut in my eyes.

The only thing that would change that for me is who has the shorter contract amount. If Wingert goes 4 more years and Grabavoy only one year, then you keep the expiring contract.

He had a stated goal to acheive - make the playoffs. Nothing more. Nothing less. He failed.

it's amazing how reductive the virulently anti-Kreis crowd is. as if it makes sense to reduce this to a black and white "made the playoffs (Y/N)?" issue. if we are firing our manager every single time we miss the playoffs, lol, enjoy steinbrenner hell.

Kreis needed to go for:

1) His line-up decisions, especially in regards to over playing Ned and underplaying Poku

2) His anti-Poku attitude, which seemed to border on discrimination (there is another word for this) at times. Calling Poku lazy, which he did more than once, is insane.

3) His pissy demeanor. His attitude makes it hard to look at him and makes you want to punch him. This is not the leader the club needs.

Firing Kreis is one of the best decision this club has made in its short history

Come on! You have to get the party line here:
He had a TARGET! Hell, I give my guys targets all the time. They are hard. They don't get fired for not hitting them during one period. He was sacked because organizational dynamics demonstrated no hope for improvement beyond the status quo.

So now we have to sit through the same process next year. New Coach, new system, new off season, with new players. Just JEFFING BRILLIANT CFG, Brilliant!!!!

Ideally this time we will have a coach that has experience taking over a team he has no connection to. Not a coach whose only experience was stepping into a coaching job with a team, players, and organization he'd been playing with for years. No wonder it was harder than he thought, he's never stepped in as a new coach of an established team with an organization he didn't know let alone starting one from the beginning.

I can't figure out how Reyna has kept his job.
Duh.
Who the hell thought wed be world beaters in day one?
Duh.
Who knows maybe this is the start of something revolutionary in the MLS. Having a real front office in the style of the NFL/MLB might just be our big competitive advantage for awhile.
:::giggles:::
Maybe I'm missing the punchline.
And, yet, with all that, CFG expected the club to make the playoffs. Duh.

Reactions: LeeNYCFC
It's actually NOT the official line that he was fired for not making the playoffs. That's just what was seized upon because someone poorly organized the press release. You actually have to get further down the page to get at the heart of the matter, where they specifically give the reason he was let go.

Everyone jumps on the first paragraph as an explanation for the firing. Actually, it's expository regarding the frame of reference the decisionmakers used, the lens through which they evaluated his performance, or even the reason he was asked to justify his continuation.

Ahhhh - there we get the real reason. His job results were below the expected targets, ergo, he was given the opportunity to re-interview for his job in conjunction with a comprehensive performance review. The findings showed that "the dynamics required to improve the performance of the team for the next season and beyond" were not there in the opinion/s of the decision makers. We don't know where those dynamics were off, whether it was among staff and players or staff and FO, but we know that things weren't meshing. Basically, what a thorough reading reveals is that the FO attitude about the situation is the one many here have had and the one FootyLovin FootyLovin expressed well intra thread. IF he had the proper relationships internally (squad, FO, whatever), then not making the playoffs would not have been a sufficient reason to send him packing.

I'm guessing they looked at decisions, interactions, and spoke with stakeholders. His meeting was a chance to hit a wonder-strike in added time. It missed. When relationships sour, it's time to move on.

Anyway, now you can and have read the same take yet again, but phrased differently. You're welcome.
Same argument over again, yes. But this time you referenced me. So it sounds brilliant. Bravo.

Reactions: Midas Mulligan
This article nails why he was fired and does a great job of staying objective about it. Mistakes were made on both sides, but in the end, the reality is Kreis didn't do enough and wasn't the right fit to "improve the performance of the team for the next season and beyond," as the team's press release put it.

http://www.hudsonriverblue.com/2015/11/3/9667754/why-jason-kreis-was-fired

it's amazing how reductive the virulently anti-Kreis crowd is. as if it makes sense to reduce this to a black and white "made the playoffs (Y/N)?" issue. if we are firing our manager every single time we miss the playoffs, lol, enjoy steinbrenner hell.

I am not viruntly anti-Kreis. I thought he deserved until the August transfer window of next year. Whatever he promised to do, make the playoffs, build a culture, create team chemistry - he didn't do it.

Reactions: SoupInNYC

...and CFG did Lee is a big fucking favor by creating a massive debacle with Lampard and to a lesser extent Pirlo.

I don't think CFG has a clue as to how MLS really works. This isn't the EPL.

Starp-in boys, we're the new Red Bull for the next 20 years.

...and CFG did Lee is a big fucking favor by creating a massive debacle with Lampard and to a lesser extent Pirlo.

I don't think CFG has a clue as to how MLS really works. This isn't the EPL.

Starp-in boys, we're the new Red Bull for the next 20 years.
movie-gifs-262-1.gif

What they've shown me is that they can take a floundering club (MCFC) and turn them into absolute winners. I'll trust them before trusting armchair quarterbacks on here

They also did it in Melbourne, took the team from 10th the previous year to 5th and made it to the semifinals. Not that A-league is as good as MLS but shows that they know how to turn things around.