Kreis Ups The Ante On Post-game Comments

This might have some glimmer of truth if Kreis wasn't involved in every one of the crappy personnel decisions. He did all the crappy Brovsky type pickups prior to the season, he was the one scouting in SA that got us Mendoza. He's the one that has been running a 4231 with no wingers, no CDM and no target striker. He's the one that refused to make any positive changes during the losing streak. He's the one that has abused mix and poku to the media. To try to claim that getting Pirlo is some kind of burden on our coach is ridiculous. Kreis has been in total control since the start, and now he is trying to blame everyone except himself.

We've all met someone like Kreis before. A dickhead who stepped in shit somewhere and had success, then believed he was the genius everyone said he was. He needs a big piece of humble pie and he's getting it like it or not. Our only hope is that Villa, Lampard and Pirlo can take over this team from him and make a miracle happen.

He was dealt with a crap hand at the expansion draft. I'm willing to give him another year when he can get rid of the expansion crap players and get some MLS quality depth. Now if Watson-Sirboe and Brovsky are still here...bye Felicia!!

This might have some glimmer of truth if Kreis wasn't involved in every one of the crappy personnel decisions. He did all the crappy Brovsky type pickups prior to the season, he was the one scouting in SA that got us Mendoza. He's the one that has been running a 4231 with no wingers, no CDM and no target striker. He's the one that refused to make any positive changes during the losing streak. He's the one that has abused mix and poku to the media. To try to claim that getting Pirlo is some kind of burden on our coach is ridiculous. Kreis has been in total control since the start, and now he is trying to blame everyone except himself.

We've all met someone like Kreis before. A dickhead who stepped in shit somewhere and had success, then believed he was the genius everyone said he was. He needs a big piece of humble pie and he's getting it like it or not. Our only hope is that Villa, Lampard and Pirlo can take over this team from him and make a miracle happen.

At least I had a slimmer of truth ;). Blaming Kreis for Pirlo is ridiculous. No way Kreis wanted Pirlo. CFG wanted Pirlo. To say otherwise is rewriting history.

Blaming Kreis for the crappy Borovsky type pickups that every expansion team has to make is ridiculous is not like Orlando City got some diamond in the rough in the expansion draft that we didn't get to make. Let's ignore the fact that he got some nice low cost/high reward type of guys like Poku, Mullins, T-Mac, George John.

All coaches are dickheads. Nice guys finish last. Just ask Rex Ryan.

I think there are a few problems in the locker room. Ignoring Kreis, and yes, that's a big thing to ignore...

1. There are many languages being spoken in the locker room: English, Spanish, Italian, Mix, etc. Our captain David Villa speaks Spanish and he hasn't been doing any NYCFC website interviews in English recently. The majority of the players on the field have English as their primary language. Maybe there is difficult with players communicating with each other. Quoting Lord of War, "You always resort to your native tongue in times of anger. And in times of ecstasy."

2. We don't have a consistent lineup so there isn't a leader of the defense, the midfield, the attack. Players can't gel with each other, get to know their playing styles well, how they work, what help they need, etc.

3. Yankee Stadium isn't the best for playing soccer, it's a problem and may affect players. But they are professionals and should ignore this problem.

4. I don't think David Villa should be the captain. Making him captain was primarily for PR reasons. That ginger guy on the Red Shits is their captain. He's not their best player, but he's the best guy to be captain. The only players I can remember to wear the captain armband were Villa, Grabavoy, and Jacobson (US Open Cup game). I think Mix should be the captain. He has the personality, the USMNT, and the fans behind him.

5. Salaries may have an affect on people. Villa gets $6M, Lampard gets $6M, Pirlo gets $2M. And the latter two haven't been doing much work. There are a lot of hard working guys getting paid shit on this team.
Repped for point 4. I claimed conductor on that train a while back. Pointless to have a DP like Villa be captain. He's going to do what he does no matter what. Why not make it the younger guy who puts in a ton of work and could take the armband as a further challenge to be our talisman?

Now, we're stuck with Villa as captain until he retires/leaves.

He wanted Watson-Siriboe. He wanted Brovsky. He traded for Josh Williams and Andrew Jacobson. Which of those guys worked out again?
I'm not going to defend the results of every move Kreis has made, but none of those guys you list were ever brought to NYCFC to be long term solution at their position nor did we really give up much to get any of those guys. Brovsky and Jacobson are guys that are ok for depth reasons but because of our sucky expansion roster were placed in roles that they shouldn't have been placed in. I am on the Jacobson sucks bandwagon as much as anyone but he really only started really sucking when Pirlo came to town. I can also understand the logic of bring in former RSL guys like I stated earlier. You take flyers on guys at the end of the your roster. Some work out, some don't. That is the nature of things. You don't fire a manager because some of his backup-depth guys don't work out.

Reactions: Gene
What about the Wingerts and Grabavoy's that he kept starting until the sheikh himself probably called him and said "If you start those clowns one more goddamn time, I'll have my foot so far up your ass they'll see it in SLC"? He brought them in to be his day in day out starters.

He wanted Watson-Siriboe. He wanted Brovsky. He traded for Josh Williams and Andrew Jacobson. Which of those guys worked out again?
Of course he also brought in Saunders, loaned in Facey and Angelino and got Mix. We have no idea if these were "his" decisions or CFG committee, but it seems logical. He also signed Poku who known of us even knew existed, including the Sounders who gave up their rights to him for a sandwich.

What about the Wingerts and Grabavoy's that he kept starting until the sheikh himself probably called him and said "If you start those clowns one more goddamn time, I'll have my foot so far up your ass they'll see it in SLC"? He brought them in to be his day in day out starters.
Who was our alternative to starting Wingert? As soon as Angelino came in, he subbed in the first game and was our starter ever since. Were their better starting caliber players taken in the expansion draft? The answer to that is no.

Who was our alternative to starting Wingert? As soon as Angelino came in, he subbed in the first game and was our starter ever since. Were their better starting caliber players taken in the expansion draft? The answer to that is no.

Please remember that the KreisOut equation does not include alternatives, the possibility of players having good or bad games, the admission that every coach everywhere makes tactical and personnel mistakes, any realistic name as a replacement coach, any nuanced tactical analysis, or credit for anything positive he's done. If you insist on continuing to make sense I fear your account may be suspended

The only way to properly evaluate Kreis(Out) is considering him through a St. Elsewhere (look it up younger fans!) type lens where he is a young teen at home creating NYCFC as an expansion side on FIFA with no actual influence of league rules, luck, chance, chemistry, finances, or human behavior. Once you've left all that on the table, it's clear all problems stem from Kreis.

Last edited:
Here's the problem with this club.
- We started with an initial team of Villa, Mix & Co. We went 1-0-1 in our first two games and then fell off the boat.
- Then we brought in Pirlo, Iraola & Co and had to work them into the lineup.
- Then Lampard wanted to be in the field.

It's like we've had three completely different teams during that time. A company is never successful when it turns over employees that like. Hopefully next year the team that begins the season is the same that ends the season. No summer DP signings, praise be Zlatan though, no loans in or out, except keeping Angelino and Facey.

Hate to keep picking at old wounds, but this team was doomed by the Lampard fiasco. Doesn't matter who's at fault or what took place; a team with precious little talent to begin with simply cannot go 20 something games without a DP or the opportunity to replace him at the start of the season.

We've been trying to play catch up since January with one arm tied behind our backs.

Please remember that the KreisOut equation does not include alternatives, the possibility of players having good or bad games, the admission that every coach everywhere makes tactical and personnel mistakes, any realistic name as a replacement coach, any nuanced tactical analysis, or credit for anything positive he's done. If you insist on continuing to make sense I fear your account may be suspended

The only way to properly evaluate Kreis(Out) is considering him through a St. Elsewhere (look it up younger fans!) type lens where he is a young teen at home creating NYCFC as an expansion side on FIFA with no actual influence of league rules, luck, chance, chemistry, finances, or human behavior. Once you've left all that on the table, it's clear all problems stem from Kreis.
Possibly one of the greatest posts in NYCFC forum history. *applause*

At least I had a slimmer of truth ;). Blaming Kreis for Pirlo is ridiculous. No way Kreis wanted Pirlo. CFG wanted Pirlo. To say otherwise is rewriting history.
Sure, it sounds like Kreis would have preferred someone younger and a striker rather than Pirlo. But there is no evidence that suggest Kreis did not want Pirlo. Evidence surely suggests he would rather have someone else, but not that he was opposed to the signing. A hyperbole such as "to say otherwise is rewriting history" doesn't help your argument here.

Blaming Kreis for the crappy Borovsky type pickups that every expansion team has to make is ridiculous is not like Orlando City got some diamond in the rough in the expansion draft that we didn't get to make. Let's ignore the fact that he got some nice low cost/high reward type of guys like Poku, Mullins, T-Mac, George John.
Good point, but you may want to leave George John out of this list. At least until he plays.

All coaches are dickheads. Nice guys finish last. Just ask Rex Ryan.
Not sure why you included Rex Ryan in this point here. He is a dickhead, and he is a continuous loser. If you wanna take other NFL examples, guys like Tony Dungy, Chuck Noll, and Pete Carroll seem to have done quite well being "nice guys".

Reactions: Paul
I think a lot will be answered over the next two games. The first game after Kreis's criticism in Dallas, then the home game next week.

One of the things I am always yelling at the games is "put the foot in!!" (easy to spot) and I was exasperated in the last game with the number of times the ball would roll past a player without him putting his foot out, or a player would run past with some control over the ball, but no NYC challenge. So, I get it in a way, Kreis saying people weren't trying hard enough. I put this down at the time though to travel exhaustion and general malaise.

As I mentioned in another thread though, there's a big onus on us as fans to cheer the team on and, hard as it is to accept, people getting paid thousands per week seem prone to quieter performances in a quiet stadium.

I think we'll see a reaction and frankly this is on the manager. Change things around, vary the formation, take out the players that weren't trying/good enough, kick everyone up the arse, show some passion. If we show a good deal more passion and win, great. If there's another lackluster defeat then we can go back to either complaining about the manager or CFG and it's as-you-were :)

Reactions: Mikeylito
Sure, it sounds like Kreis would have preferred someone younger and a striker rather than Pirlo. But there is no evidence that suggest Kreis did not want Pirlo. Evidence surely suggests he would rather have someone else, but not that he was opposed to the signing. A hyperbole such as "to say otherwise is rewriting history" doesn't help your argument here.

No evidence he wanted Pirlo either like the poster put forth.

Good point, but you may want to leave George John out of this list. At least until he plays.
I think he is fine on that list. Not every high reward/low risk guy has to work out. If there is even a low percent chance that we get a slimmer of what John used to be, the risk (paying nothing to the salary cap) is worth it.

So, you want him to "tinker with the lineup?"
I felt the need to use a forum cliché.
I'd say if Kreis felt the performance of certain individuals wasn't up to scratch, one of the weapons in his arsenal is changing the starting XI. Not that I WANT him to, of course. I'd prefer he give them the hair dryer treatment and tell them to stop acting like pansies.

I like the game of forum cliches though. Kreis out. Fuck CFG, no more Grabavoy........ um, Fat Frank, we rule, fuck New Jersey (that one's just universal)...... we like Mix.

The only way to properly evaluate Kreis(Out) is considering him through a St. Elsewhere (look it up younger fans!) type lens where he is a young teen at home creating NYCFC as an expansion side on FIFA with no actual influence of league rules, luck, chance, chemistry, finances, or human behavior.
Not sure why you included Rex Ryan in this point here. He is a dickhead, and he is a continuous loser. If you wanna take other NFL examples, guys like Tony Dungy, Chuck Noll, and Pete Carroll seem to have done quite well being "nice guys".
These posts exemplify a lot. The Kreis love centers around first year apologism focused on, "you can't evaluate a coach who has the deck stacked against him."

On the other hand you have the good cop, bad cop comparison and whether or not a coach can be a effective as one or the other.

The question I have is whether as a good cop or a bad cop and regardless of the deck being stacked as it was, has Kreis shown the leadership qualities you want in a coach? To succeed, a coach needs to have his players like, trust, or respect. He should probably have at least two of the three. I think in SKC he had trust and respect from his playing history there. But how much of that translated to NYC?

So, does Kreis have like, trust, and/or respect from his team? He needs at least one of the three. Please, Kreis supporters. I really do want to know. Is there an argument that he has any of these from his team? If he has 2 out of the 3 I support him as coach for next year. Please, convince me.