Kreis Ups The Ante On Post-game Comments

Yeah, I was highlighting given some of the comments that any criticism by a manager is forbidden

As others have said, I don't believe any of us know the Kreis/Reyna/players/CFG dynamic to say how his comments were received so I won't belabor that disagreement further

I just wanted to point out that it's not intrinsically bad management to rip your guys. Sometimes, that's what they need
Fair enough. Hard to remember who has said which extreme statement on these boards. I agree with your sensible viewpoint.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
I think there are a few problems in the locker room. Ignoring Kreis, and yes, that's a big thing to ignore...

1. There are many languages being spoken in the locker room: English, Spanish, Italian, Mix, etc. Our captain David Villa speaks Spanish and he hasn't been doing any NYCFC website interviews in English recently. The majority of the players on the field have English as their primary language. Maybe there is difficult with players communicating with each other. Quoting Lord of War, "You always resort to your native tongue in times of anger. And in times of ecstasy."

I would be shocked if there was a single player on that team that wasn't fluent in "soccer english". I would also be very surprised if Villa did not speak passable English but does not feel comfortable doing media in anything but Spanish.

I would also be very surprised if Villa did not speak passable English but does not feel comfortable doing media in anything but Spanish.
When Villa came back from Melbourne, he stated that he was taking English lessons because he wanted to be able to do media availability in English while he was here.

I don't know the status of that.

I understand we have roster issues and I know we are an expansion team. I also know that I'm not the coach and there are many sources of pressure being so with NYCFC. But...I do know the game. I've played, I've coached and the one common dominator is the same. Whether he wanted this guy or that guy, he has them. As a coach he needs to adapt his formations, tactics and game play to the talent he has available. Would it have been better for him if it was in reverse? Signing players to fit a scheme rather then scheming around existing players? Probably. But that's not what we have here. Good coaches across all sports can adapt to the team. He is trying to adapt the team to him. It's not working. He doesn't have the experience or creativity to know how to deal with that and how to play these DP's. He's not a mastermind, he's not a good coach in that instance. We are going to be an international team and need the right coach for that. It's not a huge knock against him, but he's not suited for this type of environment. We need an international coach. I'm all for CFG seeking one out and throwing huge money for one too. Who will come here is another question, but money talks.

I understand we have roster issues and I know we are an expansion team. I also know that I'm not the coach and there are many sources of pressure being so with NYCFC. But...I do know the game. I've played, I've coached and the one common dominator is the same. Whether he wanted this guy or that guy, he has them. As a coach he needs to adapt his formations, tactics and game play to the talent he has available. Would it have been better for him if it was in reverse? Signing players to fit a scheme rather then scheming around existing players? Probably. But that's not what we have here. Good coaches across all sports can adapt to the team. He is trying to adapt the team to him. It's not working. He doesn't have the experience or creativity to know how to deal with that and how to play these DP's. He's not a mastermind, he's not a good coach in that instance. We are going to be an international team and need the right coach for that. It's not a huge knock against him, but he's not suited for this type of environment. We need an international coach. I'm all for CFG seeking one out and throwing huge money for one too. Who will come here is another question, but money talks.

What scheme allows us to play Pirlo, Lampard, Mix, Poku at their best positions and gives Villa a partner up top?

If we were talking about some high school or youth coach that has to deal with varying talent from year to year, I would agree with you but this is a professional team with a huge international player pool. You fit talent around your team needs and not the other way around. We also have youth system that we can cultivate from the ground up to play our style of soccer. Our neighbors in Harrison, have one of the best academies in MLS and they play one style of soccer from youth to pros and even across all of the Red Bulls teams.

Last edited:
Reactions: Christopher Jee
What scheme allows us to play Pirlo, Lampard, Mix, Poku at their best positions and gives Villa a partner up top?

If we were talking about some high school or youth coach that has to deal with varying talent from year to year, I would agree with you but this is a professional team with a huge international player pool. You fit talent around your team needs and not the other way around. We also have youth system that we can cultivate from the ground up to play our style of soccer. Our neighbors in Harrison, have one of the best academies in MLS and they play one style of soccer from youth to pros and even across all of the Red Bulls teams.

That's not true at all. The Red Bulls played a certain way with Henry and adapted around him. They even moved him around the pitch to better suit him. The team itself has even stated they are playing a different style this year with Sacha and Dax than they did with Henry and Cahill. I can give you a ton of examples of teams adapting their tactics and game play based on specific players.

That's not true at all. The Red Bulls played a certain way with Henry and adapted around him. They even moved him around the pitch to better suit him. The team itself has even stated they are playing a different style this year with Sacha and Dax than they did with Henry and Cahill. I can give you a ton of examples of teams adapting their tactics and game play based on specific players.

You are partially right but the reason Petke got fired was because he was willing to adapt to this strategy.

http://www.onceametro.com/2015/9/2/...i-curtis-jesse-marsch-mls-rb-leipzig-salzburg

You just said it. Petke got fired cause he wouldn't adapt to what the FO is trying to do. CFG has their own way of doing things and JK won't adapt. So your rebuttal actually proved my point. A coach needs to adapt to what they are given...if not, it's time to go.

That would be great if CFG showed that they had any clear philosophy towards NYCFC besides "let's put some big names on this team to sell season tickets."

Red Bulls actually have a plan and philosophy. They are doing the complete opposite of what we are doing. They used to bring in the biggest names that they could bring in without regard for how they fit in with the team but after 20 years of not winning the MLS Cup, they realized the fantasy sports approach doesn't work. They now bring in players into their team that fit their philosophy and train their academy to fit their philosophy as well. This is the exact opposite of your argument.

I still don't think that any tactic can fix the problems of our roster. If you know a way that we can play Villa with a second striker, play Poku/Mix/Lampard/Pirlo in the same midfield, and play defense, please let me know :).

That would be great if CFG showed that they had any clear philosophy towards NYCFC besides "let's put some big names on this team to sell season tickets."

Red Bulls actually have a plan and philosophy. They are doing the complete opposite of what we are doing. They used to bring in the biggest names that they could bring in without regard for how they fit in with the team but after 20 years of not winning the MLS Cup, they realized the fantasy sports approach doesn't work. They now bring in players into their team that fit their philosophy and train their academy to fit their philosophy as well. This is the exact opposite of your argument.

I still don't think that any tactic can fix the problems of our roster. If you know a way that we can play Villa with a second striker, play Poku/Mix/Lampard/Pirlo in the same midfield, and play defense, please let me know :).

I'd be willing to try 3 in the back, Angelino at LM, Pirlo and Mix as DMs. Lampard & Poku as attacking mids. Villa up top...Rotation at RM. Basically a 3-2-4-1. Game play can easily adapt to attacking or defense just be the LM/RM alignment.

Reactions: Gavin23
I'd be willing to try 3 in the back, Angelino at LM, Pirlo and Mix as DMs. Lampard & Poku as attacking mids. Villa up top...Rotation at RM. Basically a 3-2-4-1. Game play can easily adapt to attacking or defense just be the LM/RM alignment.

That is certainly outside the box. I don't know how great 3 in the back would be on defense and it still doesn't give us help for Villa up top.

Yeah, I was highlighting given some of the comments that any criticism by a manager is forbidden

As others have said, I don't believe any of us know the Kreis/Reyna/players/CFG dynamic to say how his comments were received so I won't belabor that disagreement further

I just wanted to point out that it's not intrinsically bad management to rip your guys. Sometimes, that's what they need

You are missing the point. If a legendary coach ripped his players Publically, no one will give a second thought. But Kries has not earned that status and his public showing of frustration only highlights his own weakness or lack of experience/confidence. It may not be his fault. But again in a situation like that, unfortunately, only a legendary coach has enough chips to be able to continue to command the team's respect and trust that they can get out of the situation eventually.

Reactions: Gavin23
Kreis' biggest fault is taking too long to realize the situation was getting dire. He plugged along stoically during our big winless streak, when anyone who looked at our schedule knew those were the most important games. Nemec was mismanaged early, never playing with anyone who could deliver a cross. Shelton was mismanaged, played out of position. Poku, McNamara, mix, the only talent the team had was played out if position as the easier part of the season slipped away.

Never during that streak did he seen eager for wins. Want to say he is the kind of coach who sure on the bench quietly during games? What happened in Dallas? He was up and shouting the whole game. That tells me he thought Dallas was an important game.

And that tells me he didn't realize how important the early games were.

You are missing the point. If a legendary coach ripped his players Publically, no one will give a second thought. But Kries has not earned that status and his public showing of frustration only highlights his own weakness or lack of experience/confidence. It may not be his fault. But again in a situation like that, unfortunately, only a legendary coach has enough chips to be able to continue to command the team's respect and trust that they can get out of the situation eventually.
Calling out the vets and benching the DPs in the second half against Dallas has lead to great team effort the last two games. This must mean that kreis is a legendary coach ;)

Reactions: LeeNYCFC
Calling out the vets and benching the DPs in the second half against Dallas has lead to great team effort the last two games. This must mean that kreis is a legendary coach ;)
Ok you could be right. Hope I am wrong. But asking players to be more physical and to givng more gives a short term performance boost (and I can do that too, for free), long term factors such as player acquisition, training, player selection, game management... The jury is still out there. I could be asking too much here, but let's see