Lampard officially injured...

I would be kind of shocked if they offered Lampard another deal like he had. He's been injured too often I imagine they won't close the door. Maybe a 6 month or year extension if they haven't found another DP to replace him.

i really dont hate frank per se, more how he is being used. Hes not playing midfield, hes playign striker. Its more on Vieira for letting it continue, and allowing villa and tmac to pick up the slack.

You hate the 12 goals he has scored? You hate the second highest scoring player in NYCFC history?

Reactions: afoulkesuk
You hate the 12 goals he has scored? You hate the second highest scoring player in NYCFC history?
That's not quite fair towards T Tom in Fairfield CT 's point. He likes the goals, but he feels Lamps is more a forward than a midfielder (due to touches, positioning, and defense rendered) and is likely frustrated that we're more a 4-2-4 than the advertised 4-3-3, and as such the true forwards have to do more defensive work that they'd normally be asked.

It will be interesting these next few games to see how the team will look without Lamps again. Will we become a more possession-based team again like we were in the beginning of the year, or just try to find someone to fill in for Lamps?

I think we may start to look more like an actual 4-3-3 instead of the 4-2-4 Ulrich Ulrich mentioned above. Also, if T Tom in Fairfield CT is correct in believing that we will be a stronger, or at least better organized team in not having to cover for an aging man's forays forward and inability to get back quickly.

I'm hoping that the Penguin gets a chance to loiter around as a CM/CAM and perform what Frank's role should really be (aka not staying up top next to Villa as a striker). Put Harrison on one wing and a combo of Shelton/Mendoza on the other to burn the outside backs. Also may help Iraola and Pirlo in keeping some structure to the central midfield.

If the injury prognosis is right, Frank comes back end of the year and is the most expensive, yet amazing, super-sub who comes on in the 80th minute and scores the goal that gives us the aggregate lead over RBNJ in front of their weeping fans. Assisted by Pirlo, of course. Retirement Club still got it.

Here is the thing about an extension for Frank.

There aren't many ways to gain an advantage in this league, but one big one that favors us is the ability to sign very expensive DPs. Once you sign a DP, the salary cap hit is the same whether he makes $500 thousand or $6 million. Obviously, there is an advantage to adding three guys worth $6 million as opposed to three guys that together make one-quarter that amount. We are the only team that really pays all three DPs a big amount, and while no signing is without risk, it is still an important advantage for us.

Even with his production this year, a 39-year-old Frank Lampard is not worth $6 million - even if it is a one year deal. So, if we sign him to a DP contract - even one that pays him $1-2 million, then we are throwing away a portion of our big competitive advantage over the rest of the league. I hope we don't do that, and I don't think we will. To put it another way, if our choice is between Frank at $2 million or a new guy who is younger at $6 million, I think the club goes for the quality and the new big name - it helps both game performance and marketing.

Now, if we can get Frank on a non-DP deal - maybe $800K to $1 million bought down with GAM - that's worth it, and it would be worth it if we had to structure a 2 or 3-year deal to get it done.

That's not quite fair towards T Tom in Fairfield CT 's point. He likes the goals, but he feels Lamps is more a forward than a midfielder (due to touches, positioning, and defense rendered) and is likely frustrated that we're more a 4-2-4 than the advertised 4-3-3, and as such the true forwards have to do more defensive work that they'd normally be asked.

If that's the case, then he should stop trying to compare Mix and Frank. If Frank is a CF, then you can't complain about him taking time from Mix. That's been his argument all along. Mix has better passing stats than Frank.

If that's the case, then he should stop trying to compare Mix and Frank. If Frank is a CF, then you can't complain about him taking time from Mix. That's been his argument all along. Mix has better passing stats than Frank.
Not really - it's a fair complaint that Mix isn't being given a fair shot at the role. Lamps IS playing a midfield role, but his actual contribution on the field is more akin to that of a forward.

It will be interesting these next few games to see how the team will look without Lamps again. Will we become a more possession-based team again like we were in the beginning of the year, or just try to find someone to fill in for Lamps?

I think we may start to look more like an actual 4-3-3 instead of the 4-2-4 Ulrich Ulrich mentioned above. Also, if T Tom in Fairfield CT is correct in believing that we will be a stronger, or at least better organized team in not having to cover for an aging man's forays forward and inability to get back quickly.

I'm hoping that the Penguin gets a chance to loiter around as a CM/CAM and perform what Frank's role should really be (aka not staying up top next to Villa as a striker). Put Harrison on one wing and a combo of Shelton/Mendoza on the other to burn the outside backs. Also may help Iraola and Pirlo in keeping some structure to the central midfield.

If the injury prognosis is right, Frank comes back end of the year and is the most expensive, yet amazing, super-sub who comes on in the 80th minute and scores the goal that gives us the aggregate lead over RBNJ in front of their weeping fans. Assisted by Pirlo, of course. Retirement Club still got it.
I too find myself intrigued by having a few weeks without him. I give him tons of credit for what he's done from a goal scoring perspective over the past three months, and it may well be the case that we wouldn't have gotten where we are without him. But, when this team looks bad, it is because we get overrun in the midfield which then puts pressure on our dodgy backline and I'm curious to see if a different mix (no pun intended) helps to rectify some of that.

I too find myself intrigued by having a few weeks without him. I give him tons of credit for what he's done from a goal scoring perspective over the past three months, and it may well be the case that we wouldn't have gotten where we are without him. But, when this team looks bad, it is because we get overrun in the midfield which then puts pressure on our dodgy backline and I'm curious to see if a different mix (no pun intended) helps to rectify some of that.
It would actually be interesting to see, especially if it ends up really having an impact on how we are able to defend.

Lets say the way we defend improves quite a bit. This could potentially change the way PV decides to sub late in games when we have a lead as he may now be more willing to take Frank off and bring someone else on to change it up.

Reactions: Kjbert
The question is, what caused our turnaround this year?
  • Frank?
  • Iraola slotting in at CDM?
  • Jack?
  • Randomness. (I.e., we weren't as bad as our record before June, and we weren't as good as our record after May.)
And how does that factor affect where we will turn now?

Has Shelton matured enough that with starts he won't bring back the same complaints that we have no outlet on that side of the field? If Mendoza gets the starts we still have the outlets on LW and RW but we give up passing skill.

37 hours to game time. Is the starting XI out yet?

The question is, what caused our turnaround this year?
  • Frank?
  • Iraola slotting in at CDM?
  • Jack?
  • Randomness. (I.e., we weren't as bad as our record before June, and we weren't as good as our record after May.)
And how does that factor affect where we will turn now?

Has Shelton matured enough that with starts he won't bring back the same complaints that we have no outlet on that side of the field? If Mendoza gets the starts we still have the outlets on LW and RW but we give up passing skill.

37 hours to game time. Is the starting XI out yet?
Probably all of the above. I just think this is an interesting chance to isolate one variable (Lampard) while holding the other relatively constant (or at least as constant as one can do in this setting).

Reactions: FootyLovin
Probably all of the above. I just think this is an interesting chance to isolate one variable (Lampard) while holding the other relatively constant (or at least as constant as one can do in this setting).

I agree that it is all of it. Early in the year, we were playing better, but not getting the results, but there is no question that the 3 personnel changes mentioned all helped too.

Lately, we've been playing not as well - maybe our worst stretch of the season. Perhaps this will shake things up.

Not really - it's a fair complaint that Mix isn't being given a fair shot at the role. Lamps IS playing a midfield role, but his actual contribution on the field is more akin to that of a forward.

So what you are advocating for is that we change our formation, and substitute Mix for Frank? Because the complaint from you and T Tom in Fairfield CT seems to be as much about PV's tactics then than it is about Frank.

So what you are advocating for is that we change our formation, and substitute Mix for Frank? Because the complaint from you and T Tom in Fairfield CT seems to be as much about PV's tactics then than it is about Frank.
Tom and I have different points. Mine is that Mix can definitely play Lampard's role in midfield as one of the two advanced midfielders. Whether that role ends up mimicking Lamprd with less D is not what I'm debating, because I don't think those are actually PV's instructions, but it's a function of how Lampard is flowing with the game.

Tom and I have different points. Mine is that Mix can definitely play Lampard's role in midfield as one of the two advanced midfielders. Whether that role ends up mimicking Lamprd with less D is not what I'm debating, because I don't think those are actually PV's instructions, but it's a function of how Lampard is flowing with the game.

You've stated that Lampard is essentially playing as a CF. You may be right. Do you want Mix Diskerud to now play as a CF also?

You've stated that Lampard is essentially playing as a CF. You may be right. Do you want Mix Diskerud to now play as a CF also?
No, I want Mix to play a midfield spot with Iraola and Pirlo around him. I think he can be highly effective playing that role, and while he may not score as many as Lamps, he could unlock a number of other teammates with crafty passes that lead to scores.

No, I want Mix to play a midfield spot with Iraola and Pirlo around him. I think he can be highly effective playing that role, and while he may not score as many as Lamps, he could unlock a number of other teammates with crafty passes that lead to scores.
Not sure if Mix is the right fit.

Pirlo and Lamps don't really play defense or track back to support. Rarely do they ever win balls back in midfield either. We could use someone with speed to help cover and support our back line or win balls in midfield. Mix would be better in distribution in the final third but Mendoza has the speed to track back. Mendoza is usually the fastest player on the field.

Reactions: Kjbert