Lampard officially injured...

Not sure if Mix is the right fit.

Pirlo and Lamps don't really play defense or track back to support. Rarely do they ever win balls back in midfield either. We could use someone with speed to help cover and support our back line or win balls in midfield. Mix would be better in distribution in the final third but Mendoza has the speed to track back. Mendoza is usually the fastest player on the field.
Mendoza for cm and shelton for RB. God help us

No, I want Mix to play a midfield spot with Iraola and Pirlo around him. I think he can be highly effective playing that role, and while he may not score as many as Lamps, he could unlock a number of other teammates with crafty passes that lead to scores.

So you want PV to change the formation then?

When did I say that?

Lampard is essentially playing as a CF or Secondary Striker. I agree with that.

The argument from the two of you is that you would like to see Mix Diskerud insterted for Lampard and to have him play as a Central Midfielder.

Lampard is essentially playing as a CF or Secondary Striker. I agree with that.

The argument from the two of you is that you would like to see Mix Diskerud insterted for Lampard and to have him play as a Central Midfielder.
No, Lampard is playing as a midfielder who's particular style is not suited to perform all of the responsibilities associated with the position (high defensive work rate). Further, his style does lend itself to some characteristics and functions of a CF (high forward position and scoring touch). Mix's style is all about the midfield play - defensively and the "pass." He can score, and has shown to be effective at it but it isn't his first inclination.

Or to put it another way, looking at a player's particular style they bring to a position, compare Eden Hazard (more like Lampard with low defensive play and high position on field/scoring prowess) vs Mesut Ozil (a lot of box-2-box with chipping in on Def & looking for the critical pass to make). Both play attacking midfield but they play it differently and probably couldn't effectively do what the other does even if asked.

Reactions: Jock
No way is he playing as a striker. He's in a midfield two with Pirlo - ostensibly Frank on the right, Pirlo on the left; Pirlo plays from deep and Frank has the remit to be involved in the attacking play, linking with the front three. If he was playing up front, you'd only see him trying to get on the end of moves, as it happens he gets on the end of lots of things because he's Frank Lampard and that late arrival and finishing has been a hallmark of his play.

But, he's playing midfield, that's for sure, just in an attacking role and doesn't seem to have the legs to get back to defend a lot.

Reactions: Ulrich
No, Lampard is playing as a midfielder who's particular style is not suited to perform all of the responsibilities associated with the position (high defensive work rate). Further, his style does lend itself to some characteristics and functions of a CF (high forward position and scoring touch). Mix's style is all about the midfield play - defensively and the "pass." He can score, and has shown to be effective at it but it isn't his first inclination.

Or to put it another way, looking at a player's particular style they bring to a position, compare Eden Hazard (more like Lampard with low defensive play and high position on field/scoring prowess) vs Mesut Ozil (a lot of box-2-box with chipping in on Def & looking for the critical pass to make). Both play attacking midfield but they play it differently and probably couldn't effectively do what the other does even if asked.

So again, it's not a like for like switch. Which means that you would like to see a formation change from PV.

I agree that I would like to see Mix play tonight. But he doesn't play the same role (in your example) that Frank has played for us.

No way is he playing as a striker. He's in a midfield two with Pirlo - ostensibly Frank on the right, Pirlo on the left; Pirlo plays from deep and Frank has the remit to be involved in the attacking play, linking with the front three. If he was playing up front, you'd only see him trying to get on the end of moves, as it happens he gets on the end of lots of things because he's Frank Lampard and that late arrival and finishing has been a hallmark of his play.

But, he's playing midfield, that's for sure, just in an attacking role and doesn't seem to have the legs to get back to defend a lot.
He's not arriving late, he's generally the first NYCFC player into the box. Ahead of Villa

So again, it's not a like for like switch. Which means that you would like to see a formation change from PV.

I agree that I would like to see Mix play tonight. But he doesn't play the same role (in your example) that Frank has played for us.
[throws hands up & shrugs shoulders]

Would substituting a guy like Rimando who plays very well with the ball at his feet for Saunders be a formation change?

Reactions: Ulrich
Would substituting a guy like Rimando who plays very well with the ball at his feet for Saunders be a formation change?
Of course. Rimando does not play the same role as Saunders. Rimando is able to catch the ball instead of incompetently punching it away. So that's a new formation? I guess.

Reactions: Kjbert

No. Of course not. A keeper is a keeper. There is a distinction between a CDM and a CAM. There is a distinction between a CAM and a Secondary Striker.

To use a baseball analogy, not all Outfielders are created equally. Just because Barry Bonds could suffice in Left Field, doesn't mean he could play Centerfield.