Las Vegas Out Of The Race To Be The 24th Mls Team

Deathrace rolls on.

What's funny to me is the Don was all adamant, "oh yeah, we're going to stop at 24 for a while. Gotta let it ferment blah, blah, blah."

Someone asked him about it a couple weeks ago and suddenly the tune is "Well, maybe we won't stop at 24. You know if a good situation comes forward who knows..."

I think the problem is that they can't decide between Sacramento and Minneapolis...

Reactions: Z4CH3B99 and Kjbert
It's about expansion dollars, tv rights and stadiums. I still think it will be Minneapolis because it's tough to turn down the Wilfs, but that Niner and Kings involvement in Sacramento makes this an interesting race!

I think it's Minny. I htink the Wilfs pay $80 Million to get in the league and they re-open the tv deal.

It's about expansion dollars, tv rights and stadiums. I still think it will be Minneapolis because it's tough to turn down the Wilfs, but that Niner and Kings involvement in Sacramento makes this an interesting race!

I think it's Minny. I htink the Wilfs pay $80 Million to get in the league and they re-open the tv deal.

It will be both, and the fee will be well above $100m. Imo.

Reactions: Z4CH3B99
Wouldn't the league have an uneven amount if teams then?
They have been uneven for most of the last several years at least, so I don't see that factoring into the decision process at all. As of right now, 22 clubs have officially been awarded a franchise, with Miami in limbo, adding Sac and Minn would bring it up to 24. The numbers don't matter imo, I believe MLS will grant a franchise to any group who can meet all of their standards. So I don't see it as this big race to 24 like some try and sell.

Reactions: Paul and Kjbert
I want MLS to get to 40 so they can make 2 divisions and have pro/rel between the 2 divisions. :D
Please no

NBC rates the two biggest candidate, Sacramento and Minnesota

http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/...mls-expansion-race-sacramento-or-minneapolis/

Sacramento
WHO
: USL club Sacramento Republic FC.
FINANCES: Backed by Jed York, CEO of the NFL’s 49ers. Plus a huge group of wealthy investors.
STADIUM: Plans for downtown stadium in place. Huge fan support, highest average crowd in USL history.
HISTORY: That history is just one (albeit very impressive) campaign. Is California’s capital soccer mad?
POPULATION: 480,00
POTENTIAL MLS RIVALS: San Jose, LA Galaxy, LA FC (LA teams five hour drive, two to San Jose)
RATING: 7/10 – After winning USL in 2014, having Preki as coach and a host of wealthy investors, there doesn’t seem to be much risk here. However, they’ve only had one season as a team. That’s the only sticking point.

Minneapolis
WHO
: Two groups – Minnesota United of the NASL and the NFL’s Minnesota Vikings.
FINANCES: Minnesota United backed by Dr. McGuire, Timberwolves, Twins; the Vikings.
STADIUM: The Vikings will house the team in their new stadium, United want a downtown S.S.S.
HISTORY: United founded in 2010, formerly known as the Minnesota Stars, other pro teams since ’94.
POPULATION: 400,00
POTENTIAL MLS RIVALS: Chicago, Sporting KC (both a six hour plus drive away)
RATING: 8/10 – With two competing groups, a young population and sustained crowds for lower leagues over a long period, they have the edge. But which group will get the MLS franchise?

If I had I vote I would give it to Sacramento and wait till Minneapolis came up with one bid.

Last edited:
Reactions: SayWhat44 and Gene
My vote and it holds a lot of weight in confines of my apartment so you should take note of this is for Sacramento to get the bid.

Reactions: Goodfella
I hope Sac Republic gets the bid. They were a lot of fun to watch last year

Sac Republic for me. I'm from the Bay Area and would love a Northern California rivalry with the Quakes.

Why Sac pulled off last year was amazing. It captured the attention of a lot of California soccer fans.

Reactions: Paul and Goodfella
Sac Republic for me. I'm from the Bay Area and would love a Northern California rivalry with the Quakes.

Why Sac pulled off last year was amazing. It captured the attention of a lot of California soccer fans.
Would sacramento pull fans away from earthquakes from the san Francisco area? Or is the area big enough to support two teams?

Would sacramento pull fans away from earthquakes from the san Francisco area? Or is the area big enough to support two teams?
Tough to say. Sacramento is about three hours north of San Jose. Sac and SJ are currently trying to resolve their territory issues.

To be honest, I think SJ thinks that they have more reach to the north than they actually do. I lived in San Francisco for ten years, and their was zero hype about them. Never saw many Quakes fans. And that's only 45 minutes north.

Does California need a fourth team right now?
Considering their massive population, I don't see why not. If you were to overlay California over the northeast, you could probably squeeze about six teams within the same footprint. It's kind of unfair for supporter's of an expansion club in this region to question California.

Reactions: Kjbert
I think we need to get over this notion of one team per city OR distributing teams across the U.S. for the sake of geography. If a city or state has enough fans to support multiple teams so be it.

Cities like London and Madrid have multiple teams and NYCFC is the biggest city in the US.

I think we need to get over this notion of one team per city OR distributing teams across the U.S. for the sake of geography. If a city or state has enough fans to support multiple teams so be it.

Cities like London and Madrid have multiple teams and NYCFC is the biggest city in the US.
London and Madrid have more soccer fans probably.

Reactions: Kjbert