Leagues Cup - July 23 - Atlas (Home)

A few notes on the game, now that it's not 1 a.m.

We are incredibly sloppy with the ball. We had good ideas several times, but the final pass just was not there. I hope Nick can work on zone busting passes to try to advance the ball to dangerous places where we can get shots on goal. Many times, we took too many touches.

I saw Talles make some good runs, but either an Atlas player was perfectly placed or the pass was too heavy.

It feels like there is an imaginary wall about 5-10 yards outside the box where our attacks just turn to shit. So much passing from side to side and backwards, but no pinpoint passes to get attempts on goal.

Barraza has got to work on his hands. He should be catching balls and could have done better on the goal.

I thought we were the better team for the majority of the match, but we have one defensive lapse and get punished.

Also, I don't think Haak's goal should have been overturned, because the evidence wasn't clear and obvious. I think he was barely offside, but the angle of the camera was shit.

The crowd numbers were quite good. Lots of home support, although the play didn't get the crowd revved up until 85'. Sadly, I am located on the other side from the SS, and you can't hear them very well in Citi. Stadium Name Stadium must have a good roof to keep that noise in.

Reactions: Revfugee
The crowd numbers were quite good. Lots of home support, although the play didn't get the crowd revved up until 85'. Sadly, I am located on the other side from the SS, and you can't hear them very well in Citi. Stadium Name Stadium must have a good roof to keep that noise in.

I was just about to post something about how I was surprised the crowd has not been mentioned much. The early goal (and two month preceding?) was definitely a drain on the energy in the stadium, but there were very good numbers there and I was surprised at how favorable those numbers were towards NYCFC. Even when down the 'NYC' chants were significantly louder than that 'Atlas.. Atlas..' chants and the roof came off on that goal. To be honest, I wasn't expecting that.

Yeah - every single goal kick. They played a song I didn't recognize on the first kick, then switched to We Will Rock You.

It was "Vamos Vamos Atlas" on Barraza's goal kicks and "We will rock you" when the atlas goalie had one.

Such a shame that these things -- plus the pregame speech -- are necessary in games featuring Mexican fans.

Reactions: DeGrozz
Segal and Ledezma haven't gotten enough minutes this year considering how the first choices have been performing, but it's hard to understand bringing them in first when we have new players to integrate.

Combine this with the images their fan base have been posting of the WTC and you just have to wonder how people can be so terrible.
NYCFC fans: nothing could be more embarrassing than winning just 1 out of 17 games and having the team's best player unexpectedly quit midseason.

Atlas: Sostén mi cerveza

Apparently what Twellman is doing here is similar to what Joseph Goebbels was doing in Nazi Germany:

What an awful thing to say.

one thing for crappy fans to spew such crap... another thing for the team's official social media to do so. terrible.

as for the offsides.. no matter what they concluded and why they concluded it, there is no fucking way 5 plus minutes of review qualifies any decision as being a clear and obvious mistake. I don't care what happened during the play or the reasoning behind the call.

Reactions: Gene and JayH
Last edited:
Reactions: SoupInNYC
The only possible interpretation on the offside call is that it hit the defender and not Sands, and the defender was not making a "deliberate play" on the ball.

The deliberate play standard is meant to differentiate between the following situations: (a) a player intending to do something specific with the ball and (b) the ball deflecting off a player. The dividing line rests on a vague concept of "control" - did the player have enough control over the ball to be able to play it as opposed to just stabbing at it.

But, all of this is thought of in the context of the ball coming off the foot of the defender. I have never seen a situation where a player jumped up to attempt a header, met the ball, and yet it is considered not a deliberate play on the ball. The closest I can think of is that weird play against New England where a cross deflected off Ilenic's head and into the goal and Bou was called offside as he was in the keeper's line of sight. If Ilenic had been deliberately playing the ball, it would not have been offside.

Combine this with the images their fan base have been posting of the WTC and you just have to wonder how people can be so terrible.

To be fair though, I had thought the Atlas fans at the game were great. I didn't see any real conflicts and several gave me knuckles in the hall and said good game.

Others' experiences may have differed.

Reactions: JayH and Sabo
This weekend just keeps giving.

Survey email sent today to fans who attended this match features a photo of Pereira with Morales and Talles. I totally get that it was put together and scheduled a week ago, but it's still amusing to see everyone involved in this match: both teams plus the officials, just trip over themselves in every facet from sporting to communications to time management, whatever. What the hell went well, if anything? I guess there were no food poisoning incidents from the vendors.

To be fair though, I had thought the Atlas fans at the game were great. I didn't see any real conflicts and several gave me knuckles in the hall and said good game.

Others' experiences may have differed.
Yes, agree. By people I mean those who were responsible for making and/or approving the hitler post on behalf of the club, and the selected idiots who posted and reposted the WTC images. There were plenty of friendly and fun Atlas supporters there last night. Certain Philly fans love to post WTC images as well when we play them which is baffling for so many different reasons. I guess the theme is that some people suck and that shouldn’t be surprising.

Reactions: mgarbowski
The only possible interpretation on the offside call is that it hit the defender and not Sands, and the defender was not making a "deliberate play" on the ball.

The deliberate play standard is meant to differentiate between the following situations: (a) a player intending to do something specific with the ball and (b) the ball deflecting off a player. The dividing line rests on a vague concept of "control" - did the player have enough control over the ball to be able to play it as opposed to just stabbing at it.

But, all of this is thought of in the context of the ball coming off the foot of the defender. I have never seen a situation where a player jumped up to attempt a header, met the ball, and yet it is considered not a deliberate play on the ball. The closest I can think of is that weird play against New England where a cross deflected off Ilenic's head and into the goal and Bou was called offside as he was in the keeper's line of sight. If Ilenic had been deliberately playing the ball, it would not have been offside.

ifab website clarifies that heading to clear the ball constitutes a deliberate play on the ball. the question of control is also pretty nebulous. even based on the example videos ifab provides (link below), it's not always clear why the play is not deliberate. For example, video 4 is deemed not deliberate, but the defender clear moves toward the ball and misplays it, resulting in the ball going through. Video 5 seems closest to the situation we had in our game with two players contesting for the ball. the defender is able to make the play and it's deemed deliberate, but there's no way godin had full control over where he was playing the ball. he simply intended to poke it away. this video is meant to show a deliberate play. 11 however, shows a free kick situation. defender jumps to head the ball and it is deemed not deliberate. none of it really makes sense to me.

ifab deliberate play

Even if they decided it came off Sands, haak was already in an onside position by then. Then it's a question of whether they thought he was offsides even with all the angles given. An explanation would be nice, but we'll never get it.

In the end, it's still all bullshit and i stand by my statement that 5 plus minutes is not clear and obvious.

Last edited:
Apparently what Twellman is doing here is similar to what Joseph Goebbels was doing in Nazi Germany:

What an awful thing to say.

this is in response to a mexican influencer who was criticizing the offside call. there seems to always be beef with that influencer with other liga mx fans/ teams. kinda wild that they went to this extent.

I have a theory and took a look at that Twitter account to test it.

Theory: Some portion (a few, a majority) of the WTC posts are Russian (or other) troll farm accounts. They see WTC imagery/mockery as a clearly fantastic option to build discord.

I'm not that good at the Tweeter, but I don't see anything in that Philly account to convince me it is a real person.

The official Atlas account - I have no theory.