Manchester United Fans - The Truth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is thread remade almost every single day? If this team is only about Americans that support Man City than it will be the least supported team in the league. Even worse than Chivas USA.

I hasten to add to your reply that all New York is (IMO) welcome to support the venture. I love the fact that there is another team(s) in the CITY GROUP (highlighted to ensure u know I understand and value your feelings of group not owned) and I know what you are saying.... but how would the group get on if every one of you supported United (I know you dont) and every City fan said fuck NYCFC we are Red Bulls fans. We are here for the same reason, but history, and heritage of the group will be laid in these early pre match days, surely if you are supporting your team, you should support it unconditionally. And the condition that some other group supporters (Yes Man City Fans) are asking is that you support City in alienating anything United. I am sure most of us will support you NYCFC in alienating the Red Bulls.

& guys, those that have been constructive in answering... thank you for replies

I can't stand the Rags, but I do have better things to do than spend ages explaining why I hate them - unless of course there is fun to be had at their expense, then of course City law demands I do it.

Probably because I have views and opinions, and say it as I see it, and, on occasion, as I know it. And whilst some may not be popular views, they are mine and will remain in place until someone can convince me of a differing view.
That and I have a tendency to be very sarcastic.

Last edited:
You posted in the correct forum, yes.
You're free to express those views, of course you are.
Everyone is welcome to agree or disagree. Beauty of this section.
Just know as closely tied as this club is with MCFC the fans are for the most part not and few of them support MCFC so they will disagree more often then not.
This city adopted the club and welcomed the owners and we are doing our best to make it ours and build the supporters base. MCFC will play absolutely little to no part in that.

Reactions: einwindir
You posted in the correct forum, yes.
You're free to express those views, of course you are.
Everyone is welcome to agree or disagree. Beauty of this section.
Just know as closely tied as this club is with MCFC the fans are for the most part not and few of them support MCFC so they will disagree more often then not.
This city adopted the club and welcomed the owners and we are doing our best to make it ours and build the supporters base. MCFC will play absolutely little to no part in that.

I totally embrace the fact you are making it your own, all I am asking is when you make it your own you have a little respect for your sister / brother. After all would you marry the woman who had spent the last XX number of years fucking your little sister over.

Reactions: AndreT_NY
I only have a problem with the fact that you think Manchester United fans who decide to support NYCFC right now are plastic. There's zero glory with NYCFC. The team doesn't even exist. You say something is your opinion and therefore doesn't change anything, well it's the opinion of the people HERE that this is New York's club, not Manchester's. You're slowly crossing over into the condescending category.

I'll admit I skimmed your post at best. I don't have time to read all the crap, mostly because I don't care about United's history. I'm not a fan of theirs. I dislike the club because they DO buy their titles as well. For any of them to tell the City fans that they're buying titles is the most hypocritical thing on earth.

I do not wish the be condescending towards NYCFC and will support them
Right now there is ZERO glory with NYCFC because there is no actual team. But the foundations are layed, and we all know (at least judged on previous) that the board will take it to the top within 3 - 4 years at the most.
It is almost a foregone conclusion that the club will sweep the board stateside. and with that I do not mean to down cry anybody or anything.

New Yorkers the same passion for there City as we have for ours (Manchester) and righly so.
You have your club, on which you are stamping your identity and rightly so
We are your cousins asking one small favour when you establish that identity (OBVIOUSLY WRONGLY)

In my opinion any Manchester United Supporter wanting anything to do with this project is actually a football supporter who follows United. A true fan with real deep set passion would want to be as far from a City project as possible. I BELIEVE that regardless of your club identity the fans with true loyalties to United would not be here in the first place.
No TRUE City fan would ever align him/herself to any United project ever.

I do not wish the be condescending towards NYCFC and will support them
Right now there is ZERO glory with NYCFC because there is no actual team. But the foundations are layed, and we all know (at least judged on previous) that the board will take it to the top within 3 - 4 years at the most.
It is almost a foregone conclusion that the club will sweep the board stateside. and with that I do not mean to down cry anybody or anything.

New Yorkers the same passion for there City as we have for ours (Manchester) and righly so.
You have your club, on which you are stamping your identity and rightly so
We are your cousins asking one small favour when you establish that identity (OBVIOUSLY WRONGLY)

In my opinion any Manchester United Supporter wanting anything to do with this project is actually a football supporter who follows United. A true fan with real deep set passion would want to be as far from a City project as possible. I BELIEVE that regardless of your club identity the fans with true loyalties to United would not be here in the first place.
No TRUE City fan would ever align him/herself to any United project ever.

Very true. And whilst I am not (nor should anyone be) getting into the definitions of 'supporter', 'fan', and 'follower' (that always ends badly), if you are 100% blue, red, green, or pink with really nice white spots, you do not jump on a rival's new club - I would say this to any City fan who become a fan of Beckham's proposed Miami club.
If this was Arsenal doing this and not City, you would without doubt have Arsenal fans here going on about Chelsea fans in the exact same way. Likewise Liverpool and Everton, Rangers and Celtic, AC Milan and Inter Milan, etc, etc, etc.
All that said though, if a United fan is supporting NYCFC, then fair enough, as at least they can now witness some glory in the coming years, something they are probably going to be unable to do supporting United from now on ;)

Do not take this as an insult,but,NYCFC fans will never understand the city-rag divide,and shouldn't be brought into any debate about the bastards ;)

You never know, giving them the facts might just get one of them to hate them as 10th as much as I do. If that can ever be the case it is JOB DONE

Reactions: MANCHESTER MCFC
Do not take this as an insult,but,NYCFC fans will never understand the city-rag divide,and shouldn't be brought into any debate about the bastards ;)

But United supporters should, I get his point actually and he makes it a good one. As I've said in previous threads, if the shoe were on the other foot for me (and I won't get into it), I probably wouldn't support the club if it were owned by certain clubs, but I can get along with MCFC, appreciate what the Sheik and holding group are doing and be done with it. I think this is how most people feel. And believe me there are plenty of people who won't support the club based on City's involvement just as there are people who will look past it. JUST AS people who can look past supporters of other clubs getting involved and those who can't. Works both and all ways.

But there's another point I want to make.

In general, there are many things that English fans don't get about supporter culture here and why things are the way they are. The popularity of the game and the Prem are a VERY new thing. Admittedly, I have been watching the league for a relatively short period of time (10 years). If I were to guess most people have only been watching for much shorter than that. It is only now that Americans have been able to watch any game that they want. This wasn't always the case. Just ten years ago if I wanted to watch, I only got a small handful of games (only certain clubs were usually featured), nobody to talk about it with unless I went to the pub early in the morning watching with expats from England, Ireland, etc. And this is going into all of it blind with no knowledge of history, rivalries, geographic influences, etc. You picked it up as you went along.

Now, popularity of the game is through the roof, I would venture to guess that it's the fastest growing watched league in the country. I'm astonished at the amount of people I see talking about the league, wearing kits, etc. Most have a very good knowledge of the game and the passion is certainly there (from what I've seen). BUT who are they supporting? Well, who do you think? And what do you expect?

MrE briefly mentioned that City would soon be overrun with plastics and the like and he is absolutely right, it is inevitable. It's already happened and I've SEEN it happen. But I don't think you can blame United's influx of fans during their glory years and disregard the fact that this is happening right now with MCFC. How it happens doesn't make a bit of difference to me. The club has bought success and this is the ramifications of it. United are the most well known club in the world. People who have no knowledge of soccer are familiar with the name and if MCFC get their way it'll be exactly the same for them.

Take the good with the bad. Pot calling the kettle black in my opinion.

I know I've gone on a bit of a tangent here but you get where I'm going. Many supporters here are diehard, some are not. Some have a feigned interest in the Prem some live and die by their club. Call them whatever you want. But the people here (in these forums and who are behind this team from day one) are looking forward to a team to call their own and some people don't care who, what or where it came from, they're just grateful that they have one because we haven't had one. People have been talking about the creation of this club for years and now it's finally here. What they aren't grateful for are people trying to tell them they don't deserve it or don't appreciate it or owe something to someone else. Which they don't. The sooner everyone gets over this the sooner we can all move forward in support of this new club.

The Premier League is a global league now, a global game. It isn't the one that you grew up with, for better or for worse. That history that you went on about, while important, is not the history that most fans of the clubs can relate to. Some may not even care, most just want quality football to watch. There are now more fans of these teams around the world then in all of England, for every club I reckon. It's the globalization of the game.

I know this post is all over the place but I think I'll stop there.

This is how any conversation with a new fan should be:

Hey are you a fan of NYCFC?
Yes
Cool! Let's hang out.

End of conversation.

I understand what you are saying, but, no, sorry.

At its very basic level, football is a very simple game; you can play it with a tin can, as some kids in slums all over the World do.
Support though isn't simple.

Why do I look out for Wigan Athletic? Because Uwe Rosler is in charge.
Why am I not as frustrated as hell (as much as I should be) that QPR are back in the PL? Because the Dunny monster, SWP, and Onouha play for them, and how their fans reacted when we beat them to lift the title.
Why do I keep an eye on Hyde FC's results? Because of the close ties with MCFC.

Those are just three English examples. I could mention de Jong and Balotelli for example.
Your club is you, and you are your club. Those who have worn the shirt and served you deserve your attention. This also applies to what the club itself does (Hyde FC for example), and this is where NYCFC comes in.

It's already been said that a sponsor of United is avoided as much as possible by City fans, and the reverse is true for them. There can be respect though, and whilst United may have milked the Munich Air Disaster to its fullest, I did travel to the site on the anniversary earlier this year with a list of hundreds of names (mostly City fans, but plenty of Rag fans) and placed them at the memorial. For a moment or two, the rivalry and hatred was not there, but as soon as I left it returned.

It may be a different culture (when I lived in the States, it was much like Tiger Jones said, there was little coverage and little following), but whilst Americans may be explaining their stance and reasons, those who have really lived through it, can also explain their stance and reasons.

Both sides of the pond have something to learn.

Reactions: Tiger Jones
This is my problem. Here, at a NYCFC match the main goal is to promote NYCFC. If a United fan wears a United shirt in an effort to show that even United fans should get behind the club, being an ass to him directly hurts NYCFC. I'm not saying suddenly like United or change your feelings towards United in the slightest. What I am saying is that if you love NYCFC and want NYCFC to succeed, you can be nice to a guy who's wearing a United shirt who is also trying to help the club that you both love, NYCFC.

If you're not willing to be civil towards a United fan at a NYCFC because of the MCFC connection, you're not a NYCFC fan.

This is my problem. Here, at a NYCFC match the main goal is to promote NYCFC. If a United fan wears a United shirt in an effort to show that even United fans should get behind the club, being an ass to him directly hurts NYCFC. I'm not saying suddenly like United or change your feelings towards United in the slightest. What I am saying is that if you love NYCFC and want NYCFC to succeed, you can be nice to a guy who's wearing a United shirt who is also trying to help the club that you both love, NYCFC.

If you're not willing to be civil towards a United fan at a NYCFC because of the MCFC connection, you're not a NYCFC fan.

If a shirt being worn at a NYCFC game is not one of the following
NYCFC
MCFC
Yankees

Then that person needs to be told to give themselves a serious head wobble.

If a shirt being worn at a NYCFC game is not one of the following
NYCFC
MCFC
Yankees

Then that person needs to be told to give themselves a serious head wobble.

I'd agree that it's dumb to wear a United shirt to a match United is not playing in, but that same reasoning applies to people wearing MCFC or Yankees shirts. I'd rather someone wear a NYCFC shirt, maybe even a tshirt with a United & NYCFC logo if they want to promote United fans liking NYCFC.

Reactions: MyBoyVilla

LOL. That's a good one.

I'd agree that it's dumb to wear a United shirt to a match United is not playing in, but that same reasoning applies to people wearing MCFC or Yankees shirts. I'd rather someone wear a NYCFC shirt, maybe even a tshirt with a United & NYCFC logo if they want to promote United fans liking NYCFC.
MCFC and The Yankees are owners of NYCFC. Makes more sense to see those than to see the disgusting rag shit wiping shirt

Status
Not open for further replies.