Manchester United Fans - The Truth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who wears shirts promoting the owners? Are United fans wearing Tampa Bay Bucs gear?
utd fans are idiots, I thought we established that o_O :D
I was simply responding to the post to explain why it would be more expected to see an Yankee/MCFC/NYCFC shirt.
And instead of looking at it as promoting the owners, maybe look at it as promoting the other members in the family.

Reactions: AndreT_NY
utd fans are idiots, I thought we established that o_O :D
I was simply responding to the post to explain why it would be more expected to see an Yankee/MCFC/NYCFC shirt.
And instead of looking at it as promoting the owners, maybe look at it as promoting the other members in the family.

The Yankees do not need promotion. They are more than adequately covered.

As for MCFC, why do you need to promote the club there when the sight of MCFC will reinforce the notions that this is MCFC-lite and that fans of non-MCFC EPL teams need not apply? That's dumb.

You know why United shirts will be present at the stadium? Or any other shirt for that matter? It is because most of the fans, especially at the start, will be casuals and Euro-snob fan converts. They will either be deciding whether to support the team or not or they will be passively there to enjoy the game as fans of the sport.

Furthermore, most of them won't care about the MUFC-MCFC hatred. Or that CFG owns the club. Because, as fans in America (not necessarily as consumers), watching an MLS game, it doesn't matter what happens in England or anywhere else.

As such they will wear whatever shirts they please. And as City fans you should just appreciate the irony and the financial support because that's all you are guaranteed to get out of this.

The Yankees do not need promotion. They are more than adequately covered.

As for MCFC, why do you need to promote the club there when the sight of MCFC will reinforce the notions that this is MCFC-lite and that fans of non-MCFC EPL teams need not apply? That's dumb.
Yankees don't need promotion? They why do I see ads & commercials promoting them?
All I said was why it would make more sense to see those shirts vs rag shirts. That is not dumb.

But United supporters should, I get his point actually and he makes it a good one. As I've said in previous threads, if the shoe were on the other foot for me (and I won't get into it), I probably wouldn't support the club if it were owned by certain clubs, but I can get along with MCFC, appreciate what the Sheik and holding group are doing and be done with it. I think this is how most people feel. And believe me 1. there are plenty of people who won't support the club based on City's involvement just as there are people who will look past it. JUST AS people who can look past supporters of other clubs getting involved and those who can't. Works both and all ways.

But there's another point I want to make.

In general, there are many things that English fans don't get about supporter culture here and why things are the way they are. The popularity of the game and the Prem are a VERY new thing. Admittedly, I have been watching the league for a relatively short period of time (10 years). If I were to guess most people have only been watching for much shorter than that. It is only now that Americans have been able to watch any game that they want. This wasn't always the case. Just ten years ago if I wanted to watch, I only got a small handful of games 2. (only certain clubs were usually featured), nobody to talk about it with unless I went to the pub early in the morning watching with expats from England, Ireland, etc. And this is going into all of it blind with no knowledge of history, rivalries, geographic influences, etc. You picked it up as you went along.

Now, popularity of the game is through the roof, I would venture to guess that it's the fastest growing watched league in the country. I'm astonished at the amount of people I see talking about the league, wearing kits, etc. Most have a very good knowledge of the game and the passion is certainly there (from what I've seen).3. BUT who are they supporting? Well, who do you think? And what do you expect?

4. MrE briefly mentioned that City would soon be overrun with plastics and the like and he is absolutely right, it is inevitable. It's already happened and I've SEEN it happen. But I don't think you can blame United's influx of fans during their glory years and disregard the fact that this is happening right now with MCFC. How it happens doesn't make a bit of difference to me. The club has bought success and this is the ramifications of it. United are the most well known club in the world. People who have no knowledge of soccer are familiar with the name and if MCFC get their way it'll be exactly the same for them.

Take the good with the bad. Pot calling the kettle black in my opinion.

I know I've gone on a bit of a tangent here but you get where I'm going. Many supporters here are diehard, some are not. Some have a feigned interest in the Prem some live and die by their club. Call them whatever you want. 5. But the people here (in these forums and who are behind this team from day one) are looking forward to a team to call their own and some people don't care who, what or where it came from, they're just grateful that they have one because we haven't had one. People have been talking about the creation of this club for years and now it's finally here. 6. What they aren't grateful for are people trying to tell them they don't deserve it or don't appreciate it or owe something to someone else. Which they don't. The sooner everyone gets over this the sooner we can all move forward in support of this new club.

The Premier League is a global league now, a global game. It isn't the one that you grew up with, for better or for worse. That history that you went on about, while important, is not the history that most fans of the clubs can relate to. Some may not even care, most just want quality football to watch. There are now more fans of these teams around the world then in all of England, for every club I reckon. It's the globalization of the game.

I know this post is all over the place but I think I'll stop there.

Its nice to get a balanced reply, which considers the argument and puts counterpoints in. Thank you for your time

1. Whilst I would like everybody in New York to support NYCFC, it is good to see those people who cannot balance supporting another team to a City group interest are staying away instead of adding to any tension

2. For reasons stated in my piece. An intentional marketing bias, for which the teams were paid handsomely increasing the historic cash divide.

3. A question for these fans later.

4. Almost inevitable... but I hope that the "city" plastic fans get an understanding of what it means to be a fan by having a local club such as the others in the group to support properly and passionately. As opposed to feeling that being a fan means buying endorsed noodles.

5. Will address that with point 3

6. Please do not think I am trying to tell you you should be grateful I am not. New York is a major City and should have a team or all sports.

Points 3 & 5.

Welcome to NYCFC all Manchester United Fans...

Coming from the City of Manchester I understand the rivalry between City and United as I am sure that you have rivalries in your City (whatever the sport) and know what I mean.

The term "plastic" in this instance is not meant derisory, we do use it to describe non passionate fans of teams in the UK and sometimes, probably more often than not, it is used in a derisory manner.

Please can a Manchester United fan come on and explain
1) Why he is supporting NYCFC (like I say you are welcome)
1b) His feelings towards Manchester City, right now.
2) How he aligns this support with that of supporting United
3) What aspects of Manchester United (or its fandom) he would like to see brought to New York City... please don't say we need to endorse noodles !!!!
4. Whether (right now!) he feels his support for NYCFC (Now he has his own team) will affect his support for a distant team in a far off land
5. With City Group ties / promotion (for example if you watched an academy kid flourish in NY, then come back to the Man City and make it in the first team) do you feel you might gradually diminish support for United and increase support for City.

I am not expecting all fans to become City fans at all. And to be honest if I was in your shoes, I would probably balance it out by saying its our club and I am not interested in the other club.... I can sort of understand how you could do that within reason.

But Arch enemies such as City and United for me would be a NO NO !!!! and I am seriously interested in how a fan who feels passionate about United gets past this.

You know why United shirts will be present at the stadium? Or any other shirt for that matter? It is because most of the fans, especially at the start, will be casuals and Euro-snob fan converts. They will either be deciding whether to support the team or not or they will be passively there to enjoy the game as fans of the sport.

Furthermore, most of them won't care about the MUFC-MCFC hatred. Or that CFG owns the club. Because, as fans in America (not necessarily as consumers), watching an MLS game, it doesn't matter what happens in England or anywhere else.

As such they will wear whatever shirts they please. And as City fans you should just appreciate the irony and the financial support because that's all you are guaranteed to get out of this.

Then there should be a campaign to ban them. Full stop and forever.
If you wont do it the club should

I hate all these Threads that demand United fans explain their loyalty. For some reason, I haven't seen any threads that demand that Mets fans explain their loyalty to NYCFC.

Whatever, I'm just going to bang my head on a wall.

Reactions: einwindir
I hate all these Threads that demand United fans explain their loyalty. For some reason, I haven't seen any threads that demand that Mets fans explain their loyalty to NYCFC.

Whatever, I'm just going to bang my head on a wall.

Take your point. But I and some other fans can't rationalize it so its a valid question.

AND further to MikeDatTigers question

Any Mets fans want to explain as well.... (I imagine different game) but the principles the same.

It might help me and other Brits rationalize it. We are not trying to chase anyone off, just trying to understand the differences between the cultures

I was beginning to enjoy this thread, but it is quickly becoming a "my view" versus "your view" (which is obviously very silly because "my view" is the right one).

It has been said that Red Bull is already the enemy. Now times that by the nth degree and you might be somewhere near understanding where City fans are coming from. In turn they will likely now perceive NYCFC as "the Rags of NY" (ironic, huh?).

I could tell you all the history between the two clubs, I could explain when MCFC helped MUFC on several occasions, that MCFC actually got MUFC into the Football League, but it won't matter a jot. You'll know it, but you will have never have experienced the hatred, the putdowns, the time when your boss was a Rag and gave you all the shit jobs because he knew you were a City fan, the being laughed at, the ridicule, and the lies.

I would love to have a MUFC fan here - a true fan who knows the history and has lived it - come here and explain, but I doubt that will ever happen. I could go onto redcafe.net (don't, it's a horrible place) and ask if anyone there is now a fan of NYCFC, but I won't, because I know every single response would be telling me to go forth and multiply.

I was beginning to enjoy this thread, but it is quickly becoming a "my view" versus "your view" (which is obviously very silly because "my view" is the right one).

It has been said that Red Bull is already the enemy. Now times that by the nth degree and you might be somewhere near understanding where City fans are coming from. In turn they will likely now perceive NYCFC as "the Rags of NY" (ironic, huh?).

I could tell you all the history between the two clubs, I could explain when MCFC helped MUFC on several occasions, that MCFC actually got MUFC into the Football League, but it won't matter a jot. You'll know it, but you will have never have experienced the hatred, the putdowns, the time when your boss was a Rag and gave you all the shit jobs because he knew you were a City fan, the being laughed at, the ridicule, and the lies.

I would love to have a MUFC fan here - a true fan who knows the history and has lived it - come here and explain, but I doubt that will ever happen. I could go onto redcafe.net (don't, it's a horrible place) and ask if anyone there is now a fan of NYCFC, but I won't, because I know every single response would be telling me to go forth and multiply.

I think I am asking genuine questions so I can try to get a handle on it. I have explained my view and my reasons and all I am asking is that a genuine Rag, (or maybe Mets fan to be balanced) can explain the rationale. I appreciate most on here wont actually understand the rivalry fully. I hope this gives them a flavor.

If NYCFC had created Manchester City what would they say if we from Manchester were Red Bulls fans supporting the new team ?

I think I am asking genuine questions so I can try to get a handle on it. I have explained my view and my reasons and all I am asking is that a genuine Rag, (or maybe Mets fan to be balanced) can explain the rationale. I appreciate most on here wont actually understand the rivalry fully. I hope this gives them a flavor.

If NYCFC had created Manchester City what would they say if we from Manchester were Red Bulls fans supporting the new team ?

I am right there with you, but, as said, sadly, I don't think we will ever have an answer.

A) that question has been asked and answered. Look around the forums. There have been a few United fans who have responded. The gist is while they don't like MCFC, their hatred was outweighed by a desire to have a club of their own in NYC to support.
B) In the US, you generally root for your hometown team unless you have some reason to root for another team, such as family was originally from another place and so you liked the teams your dad liked
C) In the US, the pettiness you describe between sports rivals isn't there. If you start discriminating at work based on sports affiliation, you'll likely be labeled a jerk and/or sued for harassment. You can rib, tease, mock etc. but generally it's expected that you be able to behave like civil people. That's not to say there aren't examples to the contrary (I once got mocked for my receding hair line at a college football game in which I wore the opposing colors) but the expectation is that you can laugh about your differences over a cold beer and get along. This notion of "this fan roots for my team's rival and therefore is anathema" is totally foreign over here.

So for example, LSU v. Florida game. We're LSU fans and we see some Florida fans walking about. We point to them and yell "Tigerbait!" We then invited them over for a bite to eat and we talked about our teams, the SEC, college football, ESPN, Tebow, etc. It was a nice time and when the game started, we parted ways.

A) that question has been asked and answered. Look around the forums. There have been a few United fans who have responded. The gist is while they don't like MCFC, their hatred was outweighed by a desire to have a club of their own in NYC to support.
B) In the US, you generally root for your hometown team unless you have some reason to root for another team, such as family was originally from another place and so you liked the teams your dad liked
C) In the US, the pettiness you describe between sports rivals isn't there. If you start discriminating at work based on sports affiliation, you'll likely be labeled a jerk and/or sued for harassment. You can rib, tease, mock etc. but generally it's expected that you be able to behave like civil people. That's not to say there aren't examples to the contrary (I once got mocked for my receding hair line at a college football game in which I wore the opposing colors) but the expectation is that you can laugh about your differences over a cold beer and get along. This notion of "this fan roots for my team's rival and therefore is anathema" is totally foreign over here.

So for example, LSU v. Florida game. We're LSU fans and we see some Florida fans walking about. We point to them and yell "Tigerbait!" We then invited them over for a bite to eat and we talked about our teams, the SEC, college football, ESPN, Tebow, etc. It was a nice time and when the game started, we parted ways.

To be honest I have experienced your sports culture, and great though it was, I still have difficulty reconciling it (Sorry) I was in a San Francisco bar for a Derby which City won. Everyone else in there interested in the game was a rag fan. City won, they congratulated me and bought me lots of drink. Great guys.

In contrast I have been attacked on Olympic Way (outside Wembley) when we had beaten the rags in the FA cup semi.

Your way is much more civilised. I agree. Perhaps it is the overall culture difference but if United were playing the Afghanistan Al Quieda XI featuring Hitler, Bin Laden and Attila the Hun, most city fans would want United to lose.

Its irrational I know, but we cannot help our hatred of them nor they us over here, so its natural to wonder how the rags want to influence a City group project.

Like I say to you United fans that come on board. Welcome your money is as good as anybodys....

Spending it with New York City is no different to you owning a car remember the oil money... every time you fill up your car, you help City buy a star

Olympic Way might be called Empire Way... not overly familiar with London

Reactions: AndreT_NY
Here's what you and some of the others don't seem to understand: This isn't about you, your allegiances or your history. No one here cares about how deep C v U is. If we did someone would have posted "True ManC fans, how can we be more like you?"

But that never happened. So someone had to write a manifesto about why he hates a soccer team. How about we've got real problems here and we try to focus our negative energy towards those issues and use Sport as a way to forget our problems. Why shit on the rivals any futher than banter? Monday morning he's gotta go back to his shit job making shit money. Now he's got to worry about some jackass spitting on his car because he prefer red over blue?

Complete nonsense.

I hate the Devils and the Flyers and much as the next guy. As an anonymous group they're cockfaces...but in the end we know we're all the same. Our history as New Yorkers, Yankees, or Americans runs far deeper than a sports rivalry.

Even though it's a different sport having the Yankees involved with this project was going to always make it strange for me being a Mets fan. The Yanks have the money and pull that the Mets ownership doesn't so I'm glad they stepped up to help get this moving forward. Again, it's different sports so it's not much of an issue for me. I've gone to Yankees Stadium plenty of times (both old and new) for ballgames, concerts and yes even football matches.

I'll gladly spend my money at the stadium and bring friends and celebrate my club being there. Even if we play our entire existence at Yankees Stadium I'll be happy for the fact that if it weren't for them and MCFC then there would be no team here at all.

Reactions: Gene
Even though it's a different sport having the Yankees involved with this project was going to always make it strange for me being a Mets fan. The Yanks have the money and pull that the Mets ownership doesn't so I'm glad they stepped up to help get this moving forward. Again, it's different sports so it's not much of an issue for me. I've gone to Yankees Stadium plenty of times (both old and new) for ballgames, concerts and yes even football matches.

I'll gladly spend my money at the stadium and bring friends and celebrate my club being there. Even if we play our entire existence at Yankees Stadium I'll be happy for the fact that if it weren't for them and MCFC then there would be no team here at all.

Thank you Christian, a proper answer that doesn't resort to insults.

Here's what you and some of the others don't seem to understand: This isn't about you, your allegiances or your history. No one here cares about how deep C v U is. If we did someone would have posted "True ManC fans, how can we be more like you?"

But that never happened. So someone had to write a manifesto about why he hates a soccer team. How about we've got real problems here and we try to focus our negative energy towards those issues and use Sport as a way to forget our problems. Why shit on the rivals any futher than banter? Monday morning he's gotta go back to his shit job making shit money. Now he's got to worry about some jackass spitting on his car because he prefer red over blue?

Complete nonsense.

I hate the Devils and the Flyers and much as the next guy. As an anonymous group they're cockfaces...but in the end we know we're all the same. Our history as New Yorkers, Yankees, or Americans runs far deeper than a sports rivalry.

I believe you may be mistaking my hate for acting like a complete and utter dick at them; you'd be wrong if that was the case.

I have many Rag friends, and why would I go to the trouble of organising a tribute to the dead if I acted this way?

It is the majority and the club itself (remember the banner celebrating how long it had been since we had won something was club sanctioned and it was up for years).

I think what City fans want is a Manchester United fan to stand up and explain his/her stance on why it is okay to support NYCFC. As said, I suspect we will be waiting a very long time.

Reactions: AndreT_NY and MrE

Complete nonsense.

Can't knock you points mate... Good points made well.
As has been said welcome United Fans (indeed all football fans)
I am not advocating violence against United or there fans at all.

Reactions: einwindir
Status
Not open for further replies.