Maxime Chanot [Defender]

Just spoke briefly with Maxime when I ran into him on my daily walk. Very polite and thoughtful man. It was a nice moment to have as I try to enjoy the day without getting anxious. Another reason to root for NYCFC success. Looking forward to another Victory this weekend.

It's so hard to know about athletes we don't know, but he truly seems like a good dude. It's important to me that I root for teams of good people, so he's one of the guys I really do root for.

Good interview. There are multiple nuggets of info we have not known before. The auto translation is charming.
For all the crap we have slung at Lampard, Chanot's comments make me really like the guy.

We also spend a lot of time debating which league MLS is or isn't better than. Interesting that he thinks MLS > Belgium and that most NYCFC players would play (start?) on mid-table Ligue 1 teams.

For all the crap we have slung at Lampard, Chanot's comments make me really like the guy.

We also spend a lot of time debating which league MLS is or isn't better than. Interesting that he thinks MLS > Belgium and that most NYCFC players would play (start?) on mid-table Ligue 1 teams.
better than belgium I can almost guarantee is true. Belgium is like what, top 8? Their bottom half teams are not good at all.

I've never seen anything that suggests he wasn't a solid to exemplary teammate while here.

My charitable take on his arrival is that he never did anything but what his employers asked of him. I'm not sure that's 100% true (eg, he might have asked to spend a half season at Man City instead of Melbourne like Villa did so he could get paid more sooner) but I'm not 100% sure it's not true either. Even if true, he knowingly participated in a deceptive first appearance where the league and club announced that he had signed a MLS contract when he had not and he knew that. On top of that, he seemed not to understand why NYC fans would blame him for not coming for the start of 2015 as promised, and he clung to the "I just did what they asked" defense. There's a level of cluelessness there I can't credit.

Last edited:
Reactions: SoupInNYC and JayH
I've never seen anything that suggests he wasn't a solid to exemplary teammate while here.

My charitable take on his arrival is that he never did anything but what his employers asked of him. I'm not sure that's 100% true (eg, he might have asked to spend a half season at Man City instead of Melbourne like Villa did so he could get paid more sooner) but I'm not 100% sure it's not true either. Even if true, he knowingly participated in a deceptive first appearance where the league and club announced that he had signed a MLS contract when he had not and he knew that. On top of that, he seemed not to understand why NYC fans would blame him for not coming for the start of 2015 as promised, as clung to the "I just did what they asked" defense. There's a level of cluelessness there I can't credit.
Agreed. And his self-awareness was so off that even after getting here, when he unable to play during injury, he would post a NYC touristy picture almost every day which was salt in the wounds to the supporters. I think the club was even compelled to create that behind the scenes getting back to health video to justify that he was doing something other than visiting Central Park and the Bronx Zoo with his family.

Agreed. And his self-awareness was so off that even after getting here, when he unable to play during injury, he would post a NYC touristy picture almost every day which was salt in the wounds to the supporters. I think the club was even compelled to create that behind the scenes getting back to health video to justify that he was doing something other than visiting Central Park and the Bronx Zoo with his family.
There was the whole visiting with Chelsea fans thing at the Chelsea bar while he had been injured for a while following his delayed arrival as well.

Which I personally had no issue with. But the optics of it were completely terrible and as you mentioned, just atrocious self-awareness.

Reactions: JayH

Good interview. There are multiple nuggets of info we have not known before. The auto translation is charming.
One of my favorite "translations" ;

"You are then only 21 years old, but you explain that this injury will precipitate your "descent into hell". Why ?
MC: I had so much more money that I had asked a friend to lend me his pair of shoes in size 42 for this match, while I'm wearing a size 44. It must have played in the severity of my injury. because I was all farted, from the metatarsals of the foot to the malleolus."

Damn foot farts getting in the way of metatarsal rehab.

One of my favorite "translations" ;

"You are then only 21 years old, but you explain that this injury will precipitate your "descent into hell". Why ?
MC: I had so much more money that I had asked a friend to lend me his pair of shoes in size 42 for this match, while I'm wearing a size 44. It must have played in the severity of my injury. because I was all farted, from the metatarsals of the foot to the malleolus."

Damn foot farts getting in the way of metatarsal rehab.
Also is "going coal" French for going ham?

Love Maxime, but his thoughts on Ligue 1 would be more powerful if he had played a single game in that league.

damn. gotta feel bad for chanot. i know he's at the point in his life that he's starting to maybe think about retirement but this type of injury probably speeds all that along. didn't know his injury was serious enough that he lost vision in his left eye temporarily. wearing a mask while you play is probably annoying as hell.

hope it is not so annoying and he can continue to get solid minutes this season and help us win more silverware.

He says he won't retire until he wins another trophy for this club! Campeones Cup coming up!

Chanot and Luxembourg face off against Portugal live on FS2 at 2:30.

Chanot starting at LCB. Martins (Marvin) starting at RCB.

Ronaldo starting for Portugal.