Maxime Chanot [Defender]

Chanot and Luxembourg face off against Portugal live on FS2 at 2:30.

Chanot starting at LCB. Martins (Marvin) starting at RCB.

Ronaldo starting for Portugal.
Portugal leading 3-0 after an exquisite pass to Bernardo Silva who made a ridiculous header into the goal. But Chanot's made a couple of key clearances in the 10 minutes or so I've been watching.

ETA: Also, really weird to see Chanot in red!

Last edited:
On my way to Absolute Bagels yesterday, stopped at a light at 106th and Columbus. A scooter zips by us, runs the red and heads down Columbus. Wifey starts shouting, "Oh my god. That was Chanot!" I only saw him from behind. But seemed credible from that view.

On my way to Absolute Bagels yesterday, stopped at a light at 106th and Columbus. A scooter zips by us, runs the red and heads down Columbus. Wifey starts shouting, "Oh my god. That was Chanot!" I only saw him from behind. But seemed credible from that view.
If he wasn’t wearing a helmet and at some point hit his head on something, it was likely him.

Last edited:

he was practicing for those halftime scooter races

Everyone wear your prior season Chanot kits on Wednesday. I will be and standing with my back to Nick the entire night.

That he left the club.
I think he did post on instagram yesterday before the game “let’s go NYCFC” with a pic of himself in uniform (from a prior game) so that doesn’t sound like I am out of here activity. But could be wrong and who knows.

They may ultimately have a good explanation. Maybe he has a personal reason to head back to Europe. Maybe he simply wants to go someplace where he can start regularly as he winds down his career. We just don't know. Either way, it's too bad as he deserves a good sendoff.

I was at the Third Rail's practice event last Wednesday. We watched practice and then had a meet & greet. Chanot came over first, before most of the other players. He ran up with great enthusiasm. Said "let's go New York" and things like that. Fist bumped a lot of people and then accommodated a lot of fans for autographs. Looked like the captain he had been.

Last edited:
I have a hard time believing that he requested this… maybe he did but it’s very disappointing. Perhaps he will pull a Maxi and come back and coach.

They may ultimately have a good explanation. Maybe he has a personal reason to head back to Europe. Maybe he simply wants to go someplace where he can start regularly as he winds down his career. We just don't know. Either way, it's too bad as he deserves a good sendoff.

I was at the Third Rail's practice event last Wednesday. We watched practice and then had a meet & greet. Chanot came over first, before most of the other players. He ran up with great enthusiasm. Said "let's go New York" and thing like that. Fist bumped a lot of people and then accommodated a lot of fans. Looked like the captain he had been.

By explaining, I don't mean to imply there was a falling out. Outside of a personal family issue, I expect the most likely reason he wants to leave is he was told to expect less playing time, which is not wrong on the part of the club. It made sense to get Risa, and he has to play, as does Martins. But while Chanot might have accepted this on a playoff team, I would not be surprised if the prospect of sitting on the bench to watch the team get 1 PPG was much less appealing. That's what Lee and Cushing have to answer for.
Of course, this is just moderately informed speculation by me. I don't really know.

Last edited:
absolutely disgusting if chanot did not personally request this for his own personal reasons, which i find hard to believe until we hear it from him. he has long expressed how much he loves nyc and the club and even hinted he would like to coach at the academy one day (though this might still happen).

we are not playing well but chanot has had a beast of a season. he's played well nearly every game and arguably could be his best season to date. even if Risa is the future, with chanot's form and the team's struggles to find cohesion as it is, WHY THE FUCK does it make sense to drop Risa in now? we have to win to make the playoffs. Chanot is a proven quantity, consistently performing this season, and a leader on and off the field.

if this was not chanot's personal decision, it's absolutely disgusting from lee and cushing, imo.

The leadership is going to be hard to replace.

I haven't been to a practice this year, but in the prior practices I have attended he is the most hands-on "coach" on the team. From possession drills to small sided games, he was always instructing and giving it 100%.

This is going to leave a bigger hole than just an open spot at CB on game days.

Reactions: LionNYC and moogoo