Maxime Chanot [Defender]

absolutely disgusting if chanot did not personally request this
We are post trade deadline. Chanot is not toxic in the locker room. I know we want to be angry at someone (other than Chanot), but in what universe does Lee just up and decide to dump Chanot? For the salary savings? To open up cap space? There is no reasonable explanation.

I'm pushing all my chips onto the square that says Chanot, albeit with a heavy heart, requested this move to end his career in France.

It is plausible (and maybe is only one of a number of factors) that Chanot blew up with Cushing - Chanot carried this team when a bunch of people were injured, acted as the captain and generally one of the few leaders on this team, to literally be told “you’re on the bench and won’t start again” as soon as Risa comes in - and to see himself behind Tayvon Gray - I can understand him saying “enough of this guy, I’m done.”

Reactions: FootyLovin
We are post trade deadline. Chanot is not toxic in the locker room. I know we want to be angry at someone (other than Chanot), but in what universe does Lee just up and decide to dump Chanot? For the salary savings? To open up cap space? There is no reasonable explanation.

I'm pushing all my chips onto the square that says Chanot, albeit with a heavy heart, requested this move to end his career in France.

Just because it was chanot's decision doesn't necessarily mean it was because it was for his personal reasons and not because he had a falling out with cushing. if it's for personal reasons, no one can be upset. but if cushing is pushing out club legends for some reason, that's not right.

my point with my other post is there is no reason to cut chanot's time on the field. he's in his best shape and was performing at a high level. risa just came in, we have games we have to win. now is not the time to try something new when chanot has not been an issue.

My 2 cents worth(less).

Nothing to do with Cushing/Lee and everything to do with City Football Group.

I've been whining for the longest time now how CFG has been treating this club like their AAA team and Chanot probably felt he was going to be shown the door after ther season anyway, so why not jump at the chance to go out on his own terms with a good deal that may have come his way. Even if Chanot were still in CFG's plans for next season he could also be thinking along the lines of 2024 being no less a clusterfuck than 2023 given the kiddie-poo roster that's going to be running around YS next season.

Am I 100% right? Probably not, but on the other hand I'll bet I'm really not that far off the mark.

It is a AAA team and a AAA league. Accepting and embracing that makes NYCFC and MLS fandom simpler and better.

That aside, I would expect that if the Chanot rumors are true, it is a decision led by Chanot and accepted by NYCFC. I could be wrong, but Chanot's actions demonstrate a positive attitude towards the club - extending his contract, the recent instagram post, and his past comments about the team.

Also, as frustrated as supporters may be with the front office and coaching, the team has always demonstrated support to its key players - sometimes to a fault. Both Jimmy and Taty were allowed to leave on loan rather than forced to stay when sale prices weren't met. The team THIS MONTH brought Maxi back. A "heel" turn with Chanot would be precedential and out of character.

This season is a mess for many reasons, but I am not convinced player antagonism has joined the mess.

Last edited:
When someone wants a transfer it’s (1) money/play on a better team or league or (2) family, and distant (3) everything else. We went through this with Gaby.

I was assured that Torrent and Ronny both lost the locker room before one achieved the team’s best point total and the other won MLS Cup.

We had a bad roster this year and Nick didn’t help. It’s not usually personal.

It is a AAA team and a AAA league. Accepting and embracing that makes NYCFC and MLS fandom simpler and better.
This is true. But I'm concerned they have gone away from the fundamentals of building successfully at this level (or any level) in favor of prioritizing the development and sale of young talent. What was once a ridiculous farm team accusation is now arguably true.

Assuming Chanot is leaving, here is the age breakdown of the NYCFC roster.

36 and older1
27-352
24-268
23 and younger14

27-35 is the sweet spot for player prime and veteran savvy and NYCFC has two: Alfredo Morales and Thiago Martins. There are a few solid starters in the 24-26 group: Barraza, Parks, Cufre, Risa but also Freese, Turnbull, O'Toole so there's a limited set of near prime players about to hit. Meanwhile, all, I mean all, of the players expected to generate goals are 35+ or 23-, including Maxi, Santi, Ledezma, Bakrar, Fernandez, Segal and Talles, and young offensive players have the highest potential for later being sold at a profit.

Also, gbservis convinced me with his tinfoil hat Thiago Martins DP CFG transfer fee theory. We have no real evidence it is true, but it makes an inexplicable dumb decision at least explicable.

Last edited:
Reactions: gbservis and Gene
I take this as more he doesn't want to be part of failure and a sounding board for motivation, not that he wants to jump ship before said failure. His contract also goes through 2024.

“I don’t want to be part of a club that doesn’t make the playoffs”
*NYCFC promptly comes out of the leagues cup break losing both games and getting outscored 5-0*
Well, that decides it. *walks out the door*
🤣🤣🤣

This is true. But I'm concerned they have gone away from the fundamentals of building successfully at this level (or any level) in favor of prioritizing the development and sale of young talent. What was once a ridiculous farm team accusation is now arguably true.

Assuming Chanot is leaving, here is the age breakdown of the NYCFC roster.

36 and older1
27-352
24-268
23 and younger14

27-35 is the sweet spot for player prime and veteran savvy and NYCFC has two: Alfredo Morales and Thiago Martins. There are a few solid starters in the 24-26 group: Barraza, Parks, Cufre, Risa but also Freese, Turnbull, O'Toole so there's a limited set of near prime players about to hit. Meanwhile, all, I mean all, of the players expected to generate goals are 35+ or 23-, including Maxi, Santi, Ledezma, Bakrar, Fernandez, Segal and Talles.

Also, gbservis convinced me with his tinfoil hat Thiago Martins DP CFG transfer fee theory. We have no real evidence it is true, but it makes an inexplicable dumb decision at least explicable.
The team has definitely prioritized development and sale of young talent. I do not believe that will change until one of two things occurs - the new stadium opens or MLS changes its restrictive salary rules.

The current stadium situation cannot be appealing to mega-stars. I remain suspicious that Neymar would have signed to play with NYCFC with the prospect of playing home games in multiple baseball stadiums and road games in football stadiums was a factor. Even if the strategy were to sign major stars, it would be limited to retirement age players (see, Pirlo) until the stadium is built.

New York City's cost of living must also be a factor. Players making 200K to 300K are still well above the mean, but that money does not spread as far in NYC as it would elsewhere. Players in more popular sports can defray some cost of living through endorsement opportunities, but MLS and NYCFC don't have the advertising reach.

The current MLS salary maze (which affects every team other than Miami), forces teams to parcel out funds for non-designated players that are high upside but young and unproven or peak age players that have definitive caps on skill. For all the factors affecting NYCFC, I can't fault choosing the former over the latter.

This year has not been fun. I expect the next few seasons will be better, but erratic, with more 19 year olds entering and 23 year olds leaving. I follow college sports, and for me, NYCFC mirrors my college fandom more than my professional team fandom. Players arrive at a young age, stay a few years, then leave, giving me the chance to follow them in a "major' league. That may not fly for others, but for now it works for me.

This all changes after the World Cup and the stadium, however. At that point I truly hope MLS - and NYCFC - push to the next level.

Maxime posted another pic of himself in uniform on insta. It may not be hurt feelings or anything other than this season is effectively over and he had an opportunity to end his career closer to home. He paid his dues and the club may be accommodating his wishes. All good with me if that’s the case.

The European transfer window ends on Friday, so it would either be this week or in January if he wanted to leave...

Reactions: JayH
This - the club chose Cushing over Maxime - banter all over social media is silly.
When fans decide they want a coach fired they just start making up nasty crap to justify it, when all you need is "I think someone else would do better." The takes get 10x more irrational than the standard fan craziness, and somewhat ugly. You don't need to hate the guy or get others to hate him. He doesn't need to be a lunatic, divorced from reality, at odds with the players or even generally incompetent. Sometimes it's just right time right place. Joe Torre failed at three teams before he came to the Yankees. Tata Martinez was great at Newell's Old Boys, flamed out at Barcelona, good but not great at Argentina NT, won at Atlanta, did nothing with the Mexico NT, and now is flying with Miami.

"It hasn't worked out and it's time for a change."

When fans decide they want a coach fired they just start making up nasty crap to justify it, when all you need is "I think someone else would do better." The takes get 10x more irrational than the standard fan craziness, and somewhat ugly. You don't need to hate the guy or get others to hate him. He doesn't need to be a lunatic, divorced from reality, at odds with the players or even generally incompetent. Sometimes it's just right time right place. Joe Torre failed at three teams before he came to the Yankees. Tata Martinez was great at Newell's Old Boys, flamed out at Barcelona, good but not great at Argentina NT, won at Atlanta, did nothing with the Mexico NT, and now is flying with Miami.

"It hasn't worked out and it's time for a change."
I really enjoy this example with Tata. Nick is his own example. He won many accolades with the Manchester city women’s side. Won three different league competitions and even manager of the year honors. Maybe he needs more time with the squad, or maybe the squad isn’t built for his forte. Personally I agree with the sentiment that he’s not the right person for the moment. I’m ready to move on and I bet he’s ready for a change too.

Edit: please see below response

Last edited:
I really enjoy this example with Tata. Nick is his own example. He won many accolades with the Manchester city women’s side. Won the league twice and even manager of the year honors. Maybe he needs more time with the squad, or maybe the squad isn’t built for his forte. Personally I agree with the sentiment that he’s not the right person for the moment. I’m ready to move on and I bet he’s ready for a change too.

I thought Nick won the WSL once in 6 years, which was during a period when only 3 teams in England were making a meaningful enough investment to try to win the league.

I thought Nick won the WSL once in 6 years, which was during a period when only 3 teams in England were making a meaningful enough investment to try to win the league.
Re-read the wiki article and it seems he won a treble in 2016 over a fall and spring season.

“Although his side had ended 2015 trophyless, they entered the following season in rampant form, going unbeaten in the league with an unprecedented defensive record of only four goals conceded in 16 games to win a first league title.[5] Cushing then added to his trophy haul with a second WSL Cup triumph in a match which was equally notable for his decision to remain through extra time to the final whistle despite being called to attend his wife going into labour with his third child.[6] Nick also added to his honours with a personal gong, winning Manager of the Year at the FA's Women's Football Awards.[7]While his City team disappointed somewhat as they failed to defend their title in the Spring Series, Cushing was at least able to complete his clean sweep of the domestic trophies, winning the FA Women's Cup with a comprehensive defeat of Birmingham City in May 2017.[8]

The simplest explanation is usually the correct one, and this would seem to be the most likely scenario. He understands that he is the third-string defender, isn't going to see a lot of playing time, and wants to do what Maxi did; go home to play for the last year or two of his career.

There is no evidence that Cushing pushed Chanot out. It doesn't make logical sense. Aside from not giving him enough playing time, why would Cushing not want Chanot here?

Reactions: SoupInNYC
The simplest explanation is usually the correct one, and this would seem to be the most likely scenario. He understands that he is the third-string defender, isn't going to see a lot of playing time, and wants to do what Maxi did; go home to play for the last year or two of his career.

There is no evidence that Cushing pushed Chanot out. It doesn't make logical sense. Aside from not giving him enough playing time, why would Cushing not want Chanot here?
because people need to make up more reasons why cushing isn't a good head coach

Reactions: JayH and SoupInNYC