Miami Expansion Megathread

Miami Vice would be cool:

upload_2015-10-23_10-1-56.png

but...

'We haven't decided on a name yet. I actually heard Miami Vice the other day - it's not going to be that! Miami Reds? Also heard Miami United the other day but we'll see. I think we will involve the public in some way.''

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...-plans-Miami-MLS-franchise-good-position.html

It won't be Miami Vice because they'd have to pay millions to buy the ability to use the name off whichever TV company made the show, and you can bet the company would extort them for every last cent. Probably force them to give a percentage share of all merchandising revenue, too. Trademark copyright and all that.

It won't be Miami Vice because they'd have to pay millions to buy the ability to use the name off whichever TV company made the show, and you can bet the company would extort them for every last cent. Probably force them to give a percentage share of all merchandising revenue, too. Trademark copyright and all that.
Plus, it's just a stupid name.

Might as well call them the Scarfaces.

Plus, it's just a stupid name.

Might as well call them the Scarfaces.

The 'scarfaces' lol
The teams could walk out to:
"Push it to the limit"

I wouldn't expect it to be 'united' 'reds' etc...
I'd expect it to be something original and maybe a reference to Miami.
Sounds like the public will have a say.

Thats just some marketing crap. They'll give you maybe 3. The one they really will name it and 2 shitty ones so there's one obvious choice, then they'll claim the fans picked it.

Yeah you're probably right.
I must stop projecting blue sky thinking, particularly as it rarely happens in sports politics.

Getting back to serious news on Miami:.

Tim Leiweke, the architect that turned TFC around, is now working for Miami Beckham United.

He's being pretty transparent saying, "this has not been the smartest negotiation I've been a part of." LOL

He says the Marlins are a bunch of scumbags and assholes and that this will be the hardest stadium ever to be built in MLS because of it.

Did also claim they have a new "back-up site" if this falls through. Though, if plan A is still working with scumbags on the hardest stadium ever...plan B must be drastic.

Hopefully it's Dolphins stadium because that place is beautiful now and only getting nicer.

Reactions: mgarbowski
He says the Marlins are a bunch of scumbags and assholes and that this will be the hardest stadium ever to be built in MLS because of it.

Hopefully it's Dolphins stadium because that place is beautiful now and only getting nicer.

As a 26 year resident of the Miami area I can tell you that I would not piss on Jeffrey Loria (Marlins owner) if he was on fire.

His revenue sharing scam alone is criminal.

Dolphin stadium is nicer than a year ago but way too big for MLS.

As a 26 year resident of the Miami area I can tell you that I would not piss on Jeffrey Loria (Marlins owner) if he was on fire.

His revenue sharing scam alone is criminal.

Dolphin stadium is nicer than a year ago but way too big for MLS.
It's actually smaller than Atlanta or Seattle's stadium with the renovation.

They're adding a big, clear roof and 4 big screens in each corner of the stadium, too. Going to be nice. :)

Getting back to serious news on Miami:.

Tim Leiweke, the architect that turned TFC around, is now working for Miami Beckham United.

He's being pretty transparent saying, "this has not been the smartest negotiation I've been a part of." LOL

Did also claim they have a new "back-up site" if this falls through. Though, if plan A is still working with scumbags on the hardest stadium ever...plan B must be drastic.

I translated most of that as Leiwinke -speak for getting the project going. The biggest thing isn't the Marlins, it's hold out private owners on the land. Team Beckham are trying to make it appear as though their quitting to get those hold outs to back down. I read it as hardball tactics.