Mix Gone?

Why are there no bears in Africa?
Africa has the most diverse collection of animals of any of the continents. Bears are the most adaptable type of animal, having evolved to live in almost every climate. So why are there no bears in Africa?

Bears are omnivores, but cannot compete with the super-carnivores (lions, cheetahs, etc...) or the super-herbivores (elephants, giraffes, etc...) that have thrived in Africa.

Mix is a bear
His offensive skills are not on the level of Lampard or Pirlo. His defensive skills are not on the level of Bravo or Iraola. He does not work as hard as Lopez. (Similar comparisons can be made for the USMNT). Overall, though, he is one of the best players on the team.

I understand that he is making too much money for the current situation. I really hope they find a way to keep him (loan him out for a year, restructure his salary, something...) If one or more of our aging cheetahs or giraffes goes down with injury (which seems bound to happen) or have a run of bad form, we have a perfect fill-in on the roster right now. I would hate to get rid of him now, just to scramble for a solution later.

Why are there no bears in Africa?
Africa has the most diverse collection of animals of any of the continents. Bears are the most adaptable type of animal, having evolved to live in almost every climate. So why are there no bears in Africa?

Bears are omnivores, but cannot compete with the super-carnivores (lions, cheetahs, etc...) or the super-herbivores (elephants, giraffes, etc...) that have thrived in Africa.

Mix is a bear
His offensive skills are not on the level of Lampard or Pirlo. His defensive skills are not on the level of Bravo or Iraola. He does not work as hard as Lopez. (Similar comparisons can be made for the USMNT). Overall, though, he is one of the best players on the team.

I understand that he is making too much money for the current situation. I really hope they find a way to keep him (loan him out for a year, restructure his salary, something...) If one or more of our aging cheetahs or giraffes goes down with injury (which seems bound to happen) or have a run of bad form, we have a perfect fill-in on the roster right now. I would hate to get rid of him now, just to scramble for a solution later.
I like your comments except that he is not better than Lampard. Fatso has stood around in the box looking to poach goals, and has failed on all but a scuffed redirect from TMac that he by all rights should have been offsides on, and a handball. He does nothing to drive the attack, and is worse than Pirlo on defense. The correct move is to play Mix now that Pirlo has his caddy, and Harrison has rightly evicted Shelton, cut the English Muffin, and spend our DP money on a LW or a competent keeper.

I like your comments except that he is not better than Lampard. Fatso has stood around in the box looking to poach goals, and has failed on all but a scuffed redirect from TMac that he by all rights should have been offsides on, and a handball. He does nothing to drive the attack, and is worse than Pirlo on defense. The correct move is to play Mix now that Pirlo has his caddy, and Harrison has rightly evicted Shelton, cut the English Muffin, and spend our DP money on a LW or a competent keeper.

This just isn't true. I'm sorry. Frank isn't the same player he was 10 years ago - but he could still break the starting 11 for the USMNT. Mix can't even make the 23.

Reactions: adam
This just isn't true. I'm sorry. Frank isn't the same player he was 10 years ago - but he could still break the starting 11 for the USMNT. Mix can't even make the 23.
Never. Frank doesn't run and if you don't run you don't play on the USMNT.

We'll just have to disagree on that. He's the anti-David Villa

Not sure you guys realize we are way better with Frank than without. Without him you have Mikey running around aimlessly with bad touches and turnovers.
The guy has amazing positioning. Last two games I've just followed him around the pitch. He is ALWAYS in a passing lane. With playing out of that back that is VERY important as our defenders need our mids to make themselves available.
He finds space in the box and shows himself whenever villa or whoever else has the ball on the edge of the 18.
It opens up so much more space for villa because the other team isn't just worrying about him.

Not sure you guys realize we are way better with Frank than without. Without him you have Mikey running around aimlessly with bad touches and turnovers.
The guy has amazing positioning. Last two games I've just followed him around the pitch. He is ALWAYS in a passing lane. With playing out of that back that is VERY important as our defenders need our mids to make themselves available.
He finds space in the box and shows himself whenever villa or whoever else has the ball on the edge of the 18.
It opens up so much more space for villa because the other team isn't just worrying about him.

Strange didn't see you out there, but I guess they don't show pitch invaders :smirk:

T Tom in Fairfield CT this

He has never looked pretty on the pitch. He's a lumbering, awkward looking guy out there.

But his positioning has allowed him to be the highest scoring midfielder of his generation.

Honestly for this formation to work people need to know where they need to be. And that's the problem when we play at home. The pitch is narrow and you often see our backline with their hands up in the air under pressure because mids aren't stepping up or getting into passing lanes. I've seen Lampard more often than not pick up the ball before halfway line coming back to show himself. We need that from everyone. But as it was against RB last time we had a bunch of guys standing still waiting for one person to battle out of a press only to give the ball away.
Hopefully this time around there's more cohesion.

Honestly for this formation to work people need to know where they need to be. And that's the problem when we play at home. The pitch is narrow and you often see our backline with their hands up in the air under pressure because mids aren't stepping up or getting into passing lanes. I've seen Lampard more often than not pick up the ball before halfway line coming back to show himself. We need that from everyone. But as it was against RB last time we had a bunch of guys standing still waiting for one person to battle out of a press only to give the ball away.
Hopefully this time around there's more cohesion.
And I think Lampard isn't the only one that will help with that. Iraola will help a ton.

When he's playing, yes of course. But the argument "with Lampard or without" needs to take into account the fact that if it's "without" then (atleast in my mind) it's with a different DP in his place. Which I can't help but feel we would be better without Lampard.

With that said, this is the Mix thread so I'll get back on target. I don't believe the rumors that he's going to leave. Or maybe I just don't want to believe them. I remember when we signed him and most thought it was an amazing deal to get him without taking up a DP spot. I think the talent is definitely there, and I'm not sure why it's not working out. He's still one of the most talented players on the team, though, so I would keep him. If he's as much of a confidence player that he seems then maybe he needs some playing time and encouragement. Not sure but I hope it works out. Would hate for him to go to another team and be successful, which I'm sure he would.

If the guys played in helmets and didn't have names on their back, would you think Tommy McNamara was on $750,000 in wages or Diskerud?

Reactions: Christopher Jee
If the guys played in helmets and didn't have names on their back, would you think Tommy McNamara was on $750,000 in wages or Diskerud?
Are we talking about all the times TMac disappears completely during games? I just want to confirm the parameters of the question.

Are we talking about all the times TMac disappears completely during games? I just want to confirm the parameters of the question.

When Mix plays, he might as well be Hollow Man because he's invisible

TMac disappears? Why? Because he's not on the ball as much since Harrison and Lampard have become effective attacking options? Totally disagree with that statement. Tommy is constantly moving and making smart runs off the ball. PV said it best when he said he's always running to the right spot. You need guys like that who are willing to makes runs all game even though they might not get the ball. TMac drags defenders with him with all of his off the ball movement, and it opens up passing lanes for Pirlo as well as space for our two best attackers, Villa and Harrison. Tommy also doesn't get enough credit for his defensive positioning. He doesn't make a lot of tackles or interceptions but he's constantly tracking back and closing guys down and turning them laterally or backwards. That's the reason he's playing consistently, because he's doing exactly what PV wants him to do.

It is for those exact same reasons that I also disagree with Kjbert's post that Mix is invisible when he plays. Mix also does a ton of the same type of hard work off the ball. Things that may not actually show up in a stat sheet but are necessary to win games. I really hope they don't sell Mix because we are only a Lamps or Pirlo injury away from realizing how much we would miss him and need him in the center of the park.