Mix Gone?

Regardless of the outcome of Mix Diskerud, he is not the problem. Jason Kreis and Claudio Reyna and CFG are the problem wanting to sign a big USMNT star to NYCFC and pay whatever it took.

A lesson to future MLS expansion clubs, don't follow 2014/15 NYCFC.

love your posts.

I know everyone has been saying that NYCFC did not get good value out of the big names signing (only Villa signing has not generated much controversy) and 14-15 the first season is a complete failure. I am not sure that's 100% correct.
Look, if they never signed those big names for marketing purpose (instead they sign some good values solid players with little name recognition), i am not sure the team/club fan base would have taken off. Many fans, i know i was, were attracted and got excited precisely by those big names. Now we know the first season was a failur, but it is safe to say a large portion of the fans who were hooked by the names are willing to give more time and the club is trending up.

My point is, the marketing strategy of signing big names for the sake of signing big names is not necessarily a failur from a long-term view of the viailibilty of the club - it got a fan base going fast initially. and Usually fans give 2-3 years tolerance for clubs to turn around before you lose them for good.

by DAVE MARTINEZ

Kwadwo Poku was not at New York City FC training on Tuesday. But Mix Diskerud was. In fact, he spent a portion of practice training with the first team.

That may come as a surprise to some. A subject of the rumor mill this weekend, Diskerud is said to be moving on from the club. According to league sources, however, that doesn’t seem to be the case. And Patrick Vieira went a rare route to publicly squash the chatter as well.

“Mix is still part of the roster,” he said following Tuesday’s training. “He is still a part of the team, still a part of the squad, and until further notice, he will be here, he will be training and it will be depending on how well he does to take part in this team.

“I think players performance will dictate where you will be.”

Diskerud has struggled to find his place with NYCFC over the past two seasons. While he started the 2016 campaign strongly, he has been sparsely used since. Of his nine starts and 12 appearances this year, he has only earned four starts since May. That comes in strong contrast to the beginning of the year, where he started five of the team’s first six encounters. He has one goal and two assists through 812 minutes. However, with Andoni Iraola’s move to midfield, and the resurgence of Frank Lampard, Tommy McNamara and Jack Harrison, Diskerud has become an expensive odd-man-out. Diskerud is earning a guaranteed $761,250 this year alone.

by DAVE MARTINEZ

Kwadwo Poku was not at New York City FC training on Tuesday. But Mix Diskerud was. In fact, he spent a portion of practice training with the first team.

That may come as a surprise to some. A subject of the rumor mill this weekend, Diskerud is said to be moving on from the club. According to league sources, however, that doesn’t seem to be the case. And Patrick Vieira went a rare route to publicly squash the chatter as well.

“Mix is still part of the roster,” he said following Tuesday’s training. “He is still a part of the team, still a part of the squad, and until further notice, he will be here, he will be training and it will be depending on how well he does to take part in this team.

Diskerud has struggled to find his place with NYCFC over the past two seasons. While he started the 2016 campaign strongly, he has been sparsely used since. Of his nine starts and 12 appearances this year, he has only earned four starts since May. That comes in strong contrast to the beginning of the year, where he started five of the team’s first six encounters. He has one goal and two assists through 812 minutes. However, with Andoni Iraola’s move to midfield, and the resurgence of Frank Lampard, Tommy McNamara and Jack Harrison, Diskerud has become an expensive odd-man-out. Diskerud is earning a guaranteed $761,250 this year alone.
You heard the man, lock up the thread.

NYCFC said Mix isn't going anywhere, so obviously they're telling the truth.

“Mix is still part of the roster,” he said following Tuesday’s training. “He is still a part of the team, still a part of the squad, and until further notice, he will be here, he will betraining and it will be depending nohow well he does to take part in this team.

My bold above... Until further notice means nothing. Further notice could be a presser 30 minutes after practice. Still doesn't put anything to rest .......

Reactions: Kjbert and adam
by DAVE MARTINEZ

i still want him gone....or at the very least reduce his pay cuz he aint worth it....dude cant even start a game. and when he did ( as captain:rolleyes:) he did not perform like a 750K guy

“Mix is still part of the roster,” he said following Tuesday’s training. “He is still a part of the team, still a part of the squad, and until further notice, he will be here, he will betraining and it will be depending nohow well he does to take part in this team.

My bold above... Until further notice means nothing. Further notice could be a presser 30 minutes after practice. Still doesn't put anything to rest .......

I agree, I actually took the fact that he said until further notice as a decent indicator that a departure is possible.

love your posts.

I know everyone has been saying that NYCFC did not get good value out of the big names signing (only Villa signing has not generated much controversy) and 14-15 the first season is a complete failure. I am not sure that's 100% correct.
Look, if they never signed those big names for marketing purpose (instead they sign some good values solid players with little name recognition), i am not sure the team/club fan base would have taken off. Many fans, i know i was, were attracted and got excited precisely by those big names. Now we know the first season was a failur, but it is safe to say a large portion of the fans who were hooked by the names are willing to give more time and the club is trending up.

My point is, the marketing strategy of signing big names for the sake of signing big names is not necessarily a failur from a long-term view of the viailibilty of the club - it got a fan base going fast initially. and Usually fans give 2-3 years tolerance for clubs to turn around before you lose them for good.
I agree with this 100%. A successful blueprint for season one of an expansion team requires you to rely heavily on the marketing value of your marquee players. This is substantially more important for an expansion team in a league outside of the big 3 (or 4 if you count the NHL). The team would not have had the fan base it does today without being able to promote Villa, yes even Lampard, Mix and ultimately Pirlo. On-field success in season one is important to a core group of fans like us who will likely be in for the long haul regardless of our complaints about a sub-par first season. In order to get your hooks into most of the other fans from the outset, you need heroes like Villa and Lampard, not great players unfamiliar to the casual fans.

Notwithstanding that, the blueprint needs to change fairly quickly. While you likely will still see some flashy signings, especially in a city like New York, the focus must rely much more heavily on making successful personnel moves not sexy ones. I believe (or hope) that we have already begun to successfully move on to that next stage. However, the signing of our next crop of DPs will be illustrative.

Pure speculation but I bet Mix will be dealt when this season is over. As poorly as he's played, he is a decent replacement for our aging midfield if any of them go down with an injury.

Can't help but feel bad for the guy considering he wanted to go to Portland or LA and was sent here instead to be a major face of the franchise and then gets demoted.

Reactions: adam
I see we have moved the rage and anger from Lampard to Mix. Who is next after Mix?

I don't know what you're reading, but there's no rage directed at Mix from what I can tell. We all seem to like and appreciate him. It's just his production in relation to his contract makes his place on the team unsustainable if we want to field a competitive team. Add to that he doesn't have a roll on PV's team and it's probably what's best for all parties.

Frank is really helping our team right now, so I wish him continued success. But he's still an asshole.

I see we have moved the rage and anger from Lampard to Mix. Who is next after Mix?

There's no need to be angered about Mix. Your upset with his contract which is the fault of Claudio Reyna and those in the front office.

But if you need a list...

1) de Blasio
2) Saunders
3) Vieira, for not believe in the #StartEirik movement