Mix Gone?

Columbus makes a lot of sense as they have, I think, only one DP right now. They could take Mix and it would only hit their salary cap at $457K, where he hits ours at the full $760K (both figures annualized).

Other teams with only one DP right now are DC and Philly. Teams with two DPs include Houston, New Jersey, Seattle and Kansas City.

If Mix were to go, our midfield depth would look like this: Pirlo, Lampard, Iraola, Bravo, Lopez, Ballouchy, with guys like McNamara and Harrison able to move back. That's maybe short a guy, but not a screaming need. Remember that our midfield was already very full, and the emergence of Iraola in the back of midfield added to that. With Iraola in and Poku out, our midfield numbers are basically the same.

If we keep Mix the rest of the year, then I believe we may rethink things to see how the roster looks. With Lampard leaving and perhaps Pirlo, Mix may start to make a lot more sense. Of course, I don't think we'd protect him in the expansion draft, so it's possible he'd leave that way too.

I still think what makes the most sense for him would be a transfer to Europe. Teams at the right level over there would probably be okay with his salary, and we might get a fee out of it too.

Other teams with only one DP right now are DC and Philly. Teams with two DPs include Houston, New Jersey, Seattle and Kansas City.
how does NJ only have 2 DP's? They have 4 guys making over $475k (Collin, Littlefinger, Veron, & BWP) and only one of them has part of his salary paid for by another team (Collin - Orlando). TAM can't be used on a DP without signing another to take his place. NJ should by definition have 3 DPs this year.

Interesting note on Mix - if he was to be sold out of MLS, we would only participate in the fee if it was more than his salary. Essentially, we would need to get Poku money to see a dime out of the transfer.

Is Mix on 750k a better value than Poku at 75k or whatever?

Reactions: adam
how does NJ only have 2 DP's? They have 4 guys making over $475k (Collin, Littlefinger, Veron, & BWP) and only one of them has part of his salary paid for by another team (Collin - Orlando). TAM can't be used on a DP without signing another to take his place. NJ should by definition have 3 DPs this year.

They can use GAM. They are in CCL

Reactions: adam and mgarbowski

They could have bought a player down with GAM like we did with Mix.

Reactions: Kjbert

TAM can be used on any new signing so long as the player makes between the league max ($457K) and $1 million. You can also use it to buy down an existing DP so that you sign a new DP. You can't use it to buy down a player already making more than the league max.

Interesting note on Mix - if he was to be sold out of MLS, we would only participate in the fee if it was more than his salary. Essentially, we would need to get Poku money to see a dime out of the transfer.

Is Mix on 750k a better value than Poku at 75k or whatever?

I don't think this is true. There is a rule like that one, but it only applies to DPs.

TAM can be used on any new signing so long as the player makes between the league max ($457K) and $1 million. You can also use it to buy down an existing DP so that you sign a new DP. You can't use it to buy down a player already making more than the league max.

Yes, true, but Littlefinger, Veron, and BWP were all under contract before TAM was started, so they can't have already been bought down since no other DP's were signed after them.

Yes, true, but Littlefinger, Veron, and BWP were all under contract before TAM was started, so they can't have already been bought down since no other DP's were signed after them.
But couldn't they sign a new deal with NJRB and TAM be used?

They could have bought a player down with GAM like we did with Mix.
All of those guys make less then Mix so it very easy. Red Bulls also save a bunch of salary cap room by having alot of homegrown backups, so they probably have more allocation money then they have a use for.

I hope if we get rid of mix we can replace him with one of the top five young center mids in the usmnt pool.

Nagbe? Finlay? Acosta? Hyndman? Rubin? Zelalem? I'd take any of them over Mix. But I don't think any one is gettable except maybe Finlay.

I hope if we get rid of mix we can replace him with one of the top five young center mids in the usmnt pool.
So you're asking for Bedoya?

(In no order)
Bradley - Toronto
Jones - (old) Colorado
Nagbe - Portland
Beckerman - (old) RSL
Mix - bait
Bedoya - open to MLS?
Danny Williams - didn't he just sign somewhere?
Hyndman - just signed with Bournemouth

So you're asking for Bedoya?

(In no order)
Bradley - Toronto
Jones - (old) Colorado
Nagbe - Portland
Beckerman - (old) RSL
Mix - bait
Bedoya - open to MLS?
Danny Williams - didn't he just sign somewhere?
Hyndman - just signed with Bournemouth

I think he said young & CM. That's why I left a few on your list off of mine.

But Mix still isn't the 5th most talented CM under 25 in the player pool either. NYCFC got duped and overpaid by the fact that most the people on your list are earning the same as Mix in the MLS and you'd grab them over him in a heart beat. Also, the #5 CM under 25 on the USMNT depth chart doesn't ever get a camp call up. Only the top 1-3 maybe, and usually only 1 ever makes the team.

I think he said young & CM. That's why I left a few on your list off of mine.

But Mix still isn't the 5th most talented CM under 25 in the player pool either. NYCFC got duped and overpaid by the fact that most the people on your list are earning the same as Mix in the MLS and you'd grab them over him in a heart beat. Also, the #5 CM under 25 on the USMNT depth chart doesn't ever get a camp call up. Only the top 1-3 maybe, and usually only 1 ever makes the team.
I disagree - NYCFC didn't get duped. Our coaches have just had other agendas that didn't include Mix. Beit playing DPs per the mothership's orders or playing a formation that doesn't have enough spots to have both the DPs and Mix on the field at the same time. Any of the US CM's under 25 wouldn't find a spot in our midfield if they're competing with Pirlo/Lamps. So getting one of those guys for Mix still doesn't get the player on the field.

Reactions: barcafan
I disagree - NYCFC didn't get duped. Our coaches have just had other agendas that didn't include Mix. Beit playing DPs per the mothership's orders or playing a formation that doesn't have enough spots to have both the DPs and Mix on the field at the same time. Any of the US CM's under 25 wouldn't find a spot in our midfield if they're competing with Pirlo/Lamps. So getting one of those guys for Mix still doesn't get the player on the field.

I say "duped" because I feel there was pressure on the front office to enter the league with a USMNT player on their roster for marketing purposes. Mix was given the #10 by Jurgen at the age of 23, he was on the WC roster in Brazil. All those things were hopeful signs to sign him up in 2014 and imagine NYCFC would have one of the future USMNT stars anchoring their roster for years to come. I fell for it myself. But Mix never did anything on a club level that would indicate the same. He was never a great goal scorer playing in the Norwegian league or the Belgium league. I admit I didn't watch his matches back then to see if he was a playmaker (and I can't see any listed assists anywhere), but if he was a real talent he should have lit up those leagues. I think the USMNT originally jumped on him to keep him off of Norway's roster. He does seem like one of the nicest guys on the team, and he probably interviewed really well and impressed with his character. From a marketing perspective, NYCFC got their money's worth the last 1.5 years. But his future NT hopes look gloomy and the bloom is off the rose. I think he can contribute on the MLS level, he's proved that. But I don't see him as a star or with star potential. Maybe a very good role player. And I wouldn't pay him what he's getting now, which is star player money in this league. Also, if he was really so great, I do believe PV would have figured out a way to get him on the field, even if it didn't fit his system.